Chinese looping or Euro looping

hey guys
just wanted to know how do you execute your loop chinese way or Euro Way
I play with chinese way were I can generate so much power on my loops and drives:cool:
How about you?will you please share it to us.;)
I always played the chinese loop :p
i dont know why.... it just started since i was i beginner

This user has no status.
Last edited:
This user has no status.
Chinese loop with Euro/Jap rubber = hard :)
I have asian loop style and after I switch too H3Neo everything went smooothey ;)

I totally agree with you. I was always trying to do the chinesse loop with butterfly rubbers and it was hard. Now with H3 it is way easier especially the third ball attack...
This thread has some videos of Ma Long and his technique is explained i a document that you can download: http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?1691-Ma-Long-Technique-in-a-Word-Document

says backhand - Tenergy 05 black forehand - haifu whale blade...
says backhand - Tenergy 05 black forehand - haifu whale blade...
Nov 2011
I think that what determines a Chinese loop vs a European loop has to do mainly with the length of the stroke and the amount of spin generated.
For my experience, i used to play with Japanese rubber which are in general more bouncy/ softer than their Chinese counterpart, and my stroke were shorter for a very strong shot. Then I tried and changed for several Chinese rubber, which in general are harder and very tacky, and find my stroke getting longer in order to generate the same amount of speed as the Japanese/ German rubber...

So my theory is that the stroke is virtually dictated by the equipment we use...someone playing with HuricaneIII will probably have to have a longer stroke than someone using some tibhar nimbus or butterfly tenergy rubber...

Any though on this theory?

Last edited:
says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
I think that what determines a Chinese loop vs a European loop has to do mainly with the length of the stroke and the amount of spin generated.
For my experience, i used to play with Japanese rubber which are in general more bouncy/ softer than their Chinese counterpart, and my stroke were shorter for a very strong shot. Then I tried and changed for several Chinese rubber, which in general are harder and very tacky, and find my stroke getting longer in order to generate the same amount of speed as the Japanese/ German rubber...

So my theory is that the stroke is virtually dictated by the equipment we use...someone playing with HuricaneIII will probably have to have a longer stroke than someone using some tibhar nimbus or butterfly tenergy rubber...

Any though on this theory?

Actually, come to think of it, it's kinda true. With the chinese rubber, you must really hit the ball to get pace, which explains why they have longer strokes compared to the 'chicken wing' stroke of the europeans. Also it explains why most of the chinese uses tenergy on the BH, because usually BH has shorter stroke. Nice one waldner.

But, I have very long strokes on my FH even though I am using a very hard Calibra LT Plus. I was taught like that when I was really young, but it took me awhile to get the hang of it. Once I did, it's very rewarding.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Read 1 reviews
Hmm so actually the link Sir Yury gave is accurate.
The chinese rubber rely on friction to push the ball while friction alone by nature is adding more spin than speed. Therefore their sponge are relatively hard to add the ball's pace. In order to do an optimum loop, one must really hit hard (paired with big torque movement) and into the sponge.
Now there are some chinese rubber with softer sponge from their euro/jap counterpart to add catapult and dwell time which prove to be a great hybrid between chinese and euro-jap rubber.
I am still waiting for a tensioned chinese rubber ;)

Sir Az, do you got a vid of you playing? I would LOVE to see one :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
I started out with a more Euro/Jap style with a lot of wrist and elbow bent at 90 degrees. But when I switched to Chinese rubbers I found that I could play both Euro or Chinese styles, but the Chinese style was much faster and had more spin.

Technique is technique. Chinese technique is designed to be faster and produce more spin with proper footwork and use of the shoulder pushing the ball rather than the bicep and forearm pulling the ball in Euro styles. What rubber you use doesn't really matter for a FH shot. The BH requires something with a little extra pace to make up for being the weaker side, but with the proper technique one should be able to use any rubber to make a powerful shot. When your technique is at a certain point then one should go out and find the perfect set up for them and their specific styles. Wang Jian Jun uses Tenergy 05 on both sides, but plays Chinese Penhold and uses Chinese technique. He might use 1.9 sponge to help with the springy feel on the FH, but at that level of practice and mastery of technique it probably doesn't matter what sponge thickness he uses because he's able to adjust to the millimeter in his strokes.