W968 vs Hurricane Long 5 commercial version

Hi all.

Recently I bought W968 provincial version 2018 from prott, 91gr weight.
Before that I was playing with commercial version of DHS Hurricane Long 5 with 89 weight.
What surprised me was that the commercial version of HL5 is faster than W968 provincial version.
This is normal? Or is my W968 is not legit and fake?

W968 more woody feeling and has a more control.
HL5 has more vibration and stiff, and faster around 20% than provincial W968.
And handle of blades are very different, HL5 has a thin handle, W968 more thicker and rounded handle.
HL5 and W968 provncial version are very different blades.

Has anyone played on both versions?

Thanks for feedback and opinions.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2014
Prott have many fakes. I buy fake tenergy national version from prott 110$, and then buy real one 150$ huge different. I play hurricane blue sponge from prott, also fake. I talk about w968 prov and nat with real dealer nat team. Prov version not much fast, as national. I play hl5. not very fast and little control. Maybe hl5 may be faster, then provincial 968 but weight prov 968 about 90 gram?

JST

This user has no status.

JST

This user has no status.
Nov 2017
Also do you still have the small little silver sticker? That sticker has the serial code on it and you can authenticate if its real on the DHS website

Is the sticker really saying something? If I want to sell fake expensive DHS stuff like H3 national or PRO versions of Ma Long V, Fang Bo 2 etc. I would simply get sticker from one of cheap 5-10 dollar DHS products and put it to that fake. there is no link between the sticker and serial number or even type of the product it is attached to... am I missing something?

This user has no status.
i used varnish on my ones but i felt that the normal one is stiffer and slower and the w968 is softer and more powerful because harder you hit into it faster it goes ,all 3 versions have different woods, head size handle size and glue , i use DHS varnish it seals the blade but makes its harder and stiffer and more powerful also but with less feeling.
the feeling is the major difference for me as you said wood feeling , for me that made a world of difference with touch service forehand( what this blade is made for )

Hello all.
Happy new year.
Sorry for later reply.

As I wrote earlier, it's my first W968 (provincial version, letters) which was ordered from ProTT.
To compare I bought from Chen Chen (thanks for him for good service).

W968 (provincial version aka W968 letters) from Chen Chen weighs 90gr, and thickness is 6.01mm, which corresponds to the info card in blade box.
I plan to glue the blade from Chen Chen in about 2 months, and there will be information to comparison.

From ProTT anti-counterfeiting code was already opened, about it ProTT warned me before buying.
But, If anti-counterfeiting code was checked earlier, in second try, DHS web site only response, that this code was already checked.
And when I try to check this code, DHS web site response me same information, that the code was already checked.

I do not want to say that ProTT sell fake blades, I just don't know how to detect W968 legit or not legit.
So I created this thread.

In blade from Chen Chen anti-counterfeiting code has not been opened, and checking in DHS web site response me that product is legit.

I'm playing ProTT version now.
W968 prov version slower than HL5, and have more control.
It took about 1.5 months since I started playing on W968, and yesterday I try to play HL5 with the same rubbers.
And I more pleased to play at W968, it has more control, more feeling, HL5 is stiffer and faster.

W968 is easier to use.

Also, next time, I plan to use varnish (lacquer) to protect blade.
Because the surface of DHS blades (W968 also HL5) deteriorates during the removal of the rubbers.

Please, share info, who uses what varnish (lacquer).

1std photo blade from Chen Chen weighs 90gr, thickness 6.01mm
2nd photo blade from ProTT weighs 92gr, thickness 6.03mm (old photo, when I just received blade, in a protective film, it was new)
3rd photo actual photo of blade from ProTT, I'm playing on it, so it's dirty :)

Blades compare (tiny).jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Suga D
I have played two 968s and a few HL5 commercial. You at right. HL5 is stiffer and 968 has softer feel and more control. And when topspin with big power, 968 can generate more spin and speed. For HL5, ball bounce off the blade a bit faster, so the ceiling for HL5 is lower than 968.

But for some “old” HL5, e.g. some of the early version with printing on the blade and larger head size. Some of those has similar feeling as 968. But not all of those. The feeling varies a lot for those early HL5s.

I have played two 968s and a few HL5 commercial. You at right. HL5 is stiffer and 968 has softer feel and more control. And when topspin with big power, 968 can generate more spin and speed. For HL5, ball bounce off the blade a bit faster, so the ceiling for HL5 is lower than 968.

Exactly