Can someone translate this Chinese backhand technique video?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I can not translate it but i think we might could help with backhand technique here in the forum. What do you wonder about the backhand? about the grip it seems like he is showing forehand and backhand grip? but i don not know why really, maybe that it is easier to play backhand with backhand grip.

says Any body knows when will be the next Asia Pacific...
Sep 2016
it is too much to translate, why find a English version back hand video. Many good one on youtube

I can not translate it but i think we might could help with backhand technique here in the forum. What do you wonder about the backhand? about the grip it seems like he is showing forehand and backhand grip? but i don not know why really, maybe that it is easier to play backhand with backhand grip.

I want to have more explosive backhand. My current backhand is not explosive enough to score a point, just placement and slow spinny loop.
I want to know the ideal grip and the swing/arm rotation to improve my backhand further.

it is too much to translate, why find a English version back hand video. Many good one on youtube

No need full literal translation, can you please summarize what he says about grip and arm rotation? The key points from what he says.

Thank you.

Sep 2016
TODAY THIS WEBSITE HAS DISCOUNT TO JOIN MEMBER, VERY CHEAP, JOIN MEMBER AND ASK THEM , SEND YOUR VIDEO TO THEM , THEY ARE VERY GOOD WEBITE COACHING, THEY CAN HELP YOU.
[h=3][email protected] [/h]

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I want to have more explosive backhand. My current backhand is not explosive enough to score a point, just placement and slow spinny loop.
I want to know the ideal grip and the swing/arm rotation to improve my backhand further.

I dont know if im the right person to answer this, since i too have problem with this shot and try to make it better. But i can share what i think, and maybe other people can fill in :)

I find it intersting to think about if you and me really need to have an explosive backhand to finish the point with. It might be enough if we work with our strengths, our amazing forehands and try to practice so we get more opportunities to finish the point with the forehand, in examlple by making our footwork faster so we can play forehand instead of backhand.
But it is ****ing exhausting to play forehand at everything so i will try to work on my backhand.

I also think that we maybe do not need an explosive and hard backhand, a fast backhand off the bounce is pretty good to. I feel that Jike, Ovtcharov and Harimato do not play extremely hard compared but very fast off the bounce so that also may be an alternative.

Backhand grip is proably the best grip for a good backhand. In example Zhang Jike and Ovtcharov. But it will be harder to play forehand, so backhand grip is not a good alternative. A lot of top players change the grip sligthy, so you could experiment with this you too and try to hold more backhand grip when you play backhand. I have noticed that a lot of chinese players put up the thumb on the rubber, maybe you can try that ans se how that goes. I think they do it so they can make an explosive motion without dropping the racket. So i dont think you really need to put ub the thumb but just apply pressure with the the tumb on the blade so the racket is steady in your hand and you can move the arm fast without dropping it.

With the swing i find it very important to have the elbow in front of you and have it steady, and accelerate and snap with the forearm and wrist. I have tried to look at backhandplayers and se how they do, and i find that the snap, fast explosive accelerating motion is what set them apart compared to players that are not as good with the backhand. I also think elbow should be pretty high so you could rip through the ball in a forward motion. If you have the elbow lower you need to hit more upward and will get a higher arc and not as fast.

i think you should have a pretty closed angle of the racket to be able to generate spin. but since spin is slow, you might want to open the racket angle and flat hit more against higher balls. But for lower balls i think you need the spin to get the ball safe.

It is important to hit the ball infront of the body at the highest point, if you hit the ball at a lower point you can not hit as fast since you need a arc to get the ball over the net. But you do not want to reach for the ball, since then the arm is already extended and you will get no power.

I am trying to exercise my backhand kill by doing a lot of multiball and i think that is working pretty good so try doing that.

I have talked a lot now, and do not have time to read through everything since i need to eat with my family so maybe it is just nonsense but i think something is worth trying. I also recommend looking at backhandplayers like Jorgic, Kara and Kreange and se how they do and try ot copy it. Good luck!

Reactions: Hamasaki_Fanz
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I also want to mention that since i moved from a softer to a harder rubber i think my backhand have mor spin and is harder.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I explain some principles, they are not the only and final answer in TT, they are what I find as the foundation.

Getting more power on BH requires position, leverage, bio-mechanics and timing. Those are four damned difficult things to get right in a rally on the move under pressure. Without position, you go for power and you are gunna miss. You go for less power out of position, you might land it, but won't pressure opponent.

The thing Lula mentions foremost about BH (after being in position on time stable) is the elbow fixed in position. This means the upper arm is not moving around. This means you are not trying to hinge the shot with the pivot fulcrum the shoulder. The pivot point fulcrum for max leverage is the elbow joint.

There are many different backhands and they all use a different amount of wrist preload and wrist snap as part of the shot. There are also different grip pressures and different swing planes depending on where you are, what ball is coming in, and what you are trying to do to the ball. Also different height of incoming ball flight path.

No one is going to learn and master them in a short time.

Everything is dependent upon where you are positioning yourself, what kind of ball is coming in, and what kind of resultant BH you want. This all dictates how early or late you take the ball from bounce, dictates how much explosion used, how much wrist used, how much grip pressure used.

Against a faster ball, close to the table you need less wrist and overall a shorter swing. As you come away from the table incrementally, you can start using longer swing and more wrist. If the ball makes it net height or higher (or if you are a meter away from table) you can really firm up grip at impact.

Making a powerful BH is all about generating and transferring kinetic energy to the ball. You do not need a huge swing. You need to be well timed with the right leverage and sequence of explosion. You cannot do it without being loose in muscles and joints. You cannot do it by tightening up too soon. You cannot do it by using the muscle chain explosions out of sequence or time. You cannot do it with a good feel for the timing of grip pressure. You cannot do it by impacting ball outside effective strike zone. You can start kinetic energy with just the arm movement, then stop upper arm while being loose. You can get more kinetic energy by squatting and exploding up, or you can get some from a short or long hip explosion.