[LHTT #41_Match in Korea] Against Korean Coach (Chinese Penholder) 180831

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Nice game! You practice alot! Do you think much when you play? What ball you are going to get and What kind of balls you want?

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I don't think he gave up.

That coach is too good to play in the city/regional amateur system... AND LHTT is NOT getting a handicap.

She would be a minimum if DIV MINUS 1 if it was regional, maybe MINUS 2. That is considering her deterioration as a player by being a full time coach.

LHTT is likely around Div 3... so if this was a real comp, she would be giving away 5-6 handicap points to him. She wasn't even playing at 50% serious either.

What we saw on the vid is the expected result, a big loss and some points where LHTT get some good looking points, because the coach is allowing him the chance occasionally.

Some coaches in Korea will play matches with club members when they are not busy coaching. If you are a full time coach in Korea, you work 10 hour days. If you are successful, you have 50 plus students, you give lessons to at least half that many daily (20 min lessons)… needless to say, coaching in Korea is a very physically (and often mentally) demanding occupation. You have no time to be sick or tired. You miss a lesson for a student, you gotta make it up somewhere.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Nice game! You practice alot! Do you think much when you play? What ball you are going to get and What kind of balls you want?

You are barking up the right tree Lula, but this coach is 5 levels better than him minimum... he is only gunna get what she wants to give him. There is only so much he can do to get into that situation. You know well the difference in quality of that level difference.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I wrote the longest and best answer ever haha. What happened?

Yeah see seems better but he needs to think against everyone. I think it is pretty basic stuff.

If he serve short sidespin or sidepsintopspin he needs to step out and be ready to attack, will proably get a flip or a bad short ball. Can have the racket pretty high since backspin is unlikely.
If he serve short backspin he need to be ready for a short ball, or a long push. Unlikely to get a flip. So be ready to step out and attack the ball if it comes long.

If he serve long backspin, he proably will get a topspin with a lot of spin. The same if he serve halflong. Lift the racket high and be ready to punch, flathit the ball or counterloop. This will prably be a good ball for that.
If he serve long side or topsping he proably will get a faster ball and need to lift upp the racket and be ready to just block.

He also needs to think about the placement. If he serve side to her forehand it most likely will come back to the backhand, if he serve reverse side to her backhand it most likeyly will come to his forehand.

He also needs to think the same when he is returning.

If he return short, he can get a short back, long push or flip. Hard to know, alot of options. Depends on opponent,

If he return long with backspin or half long he likely will get a topspin with alot of spin. Lift the racket high and be ready to punch, flathit the ball or counterloop. This will prably be a good ball for that. If he return long with nospin or topspin, the ball back will be fast and he nees to lift upp the racket and be ready to just block.

If he return fast the ball often comes back in the diagonal.

I also think it is important to have a own playingstyle, where you know how to serve, return and play to get the balls you are best at. example so you know when you do that kind of serve it is most likely to get it back there.

It is also important to look at the opponents, there are often patterns, they play the same way. The options above will be easier to anticipate when you try to look at the opponent and see how they play. Then you can have the advantage in the ball. Example you know that they always do a slow topspin if you push backspin to their backhand.

or In example i think she flips kind a much against you. If you know that she does that and steps out and be ready for it, you have the advantage! But since you know that she flips alot and if you want to stop it you can try to serve more short backspin so she flips in the net or more halflong so she can not flip.

She also seems like a forehandplayer, she wants to play forehand from forehand and backhand. Against them you want to play short and try to get to topspin first, and if you need to return long you want to return in the corners so they can not just work around and play forehand from the backhandcorner everytime. It also might be smart to lock her in backhand backhand.

If you play against a backhandplayer, you know you are not as good as them in backhand if you lose in backhand backhand, then you need to try to play more to their forehand and pocket. Especially to their pocket since backhandplayers want to play backhand in the middle and will have trouble knowing if they should work to play backhand or take their weaker forehand. If they bananaflip everything it might be a good idea to play short in their forehand and long to their backhand so they can not play the flip from the whole table.

This is proably oversimplyfied but it is still good to think a little like that.

I still think you should try to accelerate a lot more with your forearm so you get more spin on the ball. The ball will have better quality and will be safer.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
What Lula wrote are general, very needed to ask technical, tactical, and strategic questions everyone should ask.

These kind of things are not very often discussed on Table Tennis forums - many members are too wowed by the latest equipment or national jerseys to discuss the real important things that shape and develop your TT game.

I do not disagree and could/would add moar.

Lula, in most cases, TTD saves what your wrote if you didn't hit the "Post Quick Reply" button. In EPIC posts, it is a good practice to hit CTR + A, then CTR +C to select all and copy just to be safe.

Just above the "Show your Signature" on the lower, left side of reply box, there will be a button kinda in grey called "Restore Auto-Saved Content"... if you hit that, then whatever was auto saved will pop back up.

See the snippet below.

Man, I had posted it in wrong thread, Der_Echte iz a chucklehead.

Capture1.jpg

Reactions: Sali
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
Nice exchange Lula and Der Echte. I would just add that this match looked like this because LHTT set the level she just adjust. If he was playing better she definitely play better. There were many easy balls for LHTT because she wanted to let him play. And I am more very convinced that if he considered all tactics Lula said she would play totaly different.
This what happens when you face much better opponent, it is always like that you have a game plan, but then your serves does not work how you wanted to be and your receive as well - this comes to make you cry :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
To Sali, Maybe Yes. As you know, I'd cried and cried after this match. The level gap between She and me, It cann't be covered any tactics. Anyway Cried, but Interesting.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
To Sali, Maybe Yes. As you know, I'd cried and cried after this match. The level gap between She and me, It cann't be covered any tactics. Anyway Cried, but Interesting.
it was a metaphore (makes you cry). I had many situations like this. Even when I thought I was at good shape and in positive attitude finally the match was simillar to yours. Unfortunately these more experienced players who played high level some years ago have no problems with reading spin and even hidden serves and all your tactics did not work. This is what makes everybody upset.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
It is diffixult with serve and return against better players. They are usually very good at this. Important to practice this Boring But yet most important play.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
it was a metaphore (makes you cry). I had many situations like this. Even when I thought I was at good shape and in positive attitude finally the match was simillar to yours. Unfortunately these more experienced players who played high level some years ago have no problems with reading spin and even hidden serves and all your tactics did not work. This is what makes everybody upset.

I say it again for the benefit of TTD. When a player who is 5 full Korean levels a better player plays, all you get is what they want you to get... and you will be happy to get even that.

There is absolutely nothing you have at your level in terms of quality of shots, sound tactics, or a good game plan to even come close to challenging such a player. That is just a reality... but it is a very good lesson. It shows you what you need to do to lower players to keep them at a lower level of play vs you.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
For national level Korean amateur TT tourneys, you have 7 separate divisions.

Div 5 (USATT 1200-1900)
Div 4 (USATT 1500-2250)
Div 3 (USATT 1900-2300)
Div 2 (USATT 2100-2400)
Div 1 (USATT 2200-2500)
Champions League (This level is for the top Div 1 level players who have won) (USATT 2400-2500)
Pro Division (USATT 2500-2800) (For pro-trained athletes only, school trained pros, former Natl/ITTF pros)

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
So one can see how a Champions League or Pro Player Div player would fare vs a Div 5 or Div 4 national player... no contest.

It is good to have the field classified and divided by divisions... how else would anyone but the top pros be expected to compete?

Korea uses a handicap system to equalize things a bit if any players from different divisions must play... like on the team event, or combined divisions. Often, Div 1 and Div 2 are combined... not a ton of players that level compared to Div 5 and Div 4.