Ma Long's first match since his injury - 2018

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
Yes, but once a #1 player falls to #11, they almost never reclaim their former ranking. He's more than likely going to be chasing the next upcoming generation the rest of his career, like Zhendong, Ovtcharov, and Harimoto among others. After all, Ma Long was #1 for about eight years straight (with a few dips).

Last edited:
Reactions: Andyzhao123

JST

This user has no status.

JST

This user has no status.
Nov 2017
Yes, but once a #1 player falls to #11, they almost never reclaim their former ranking. He's more than likely going to be chasing the next upcoming generation the rest of his career, like Zhendong, Ovtcharov, and Harimoto among others. After all, Ma Long was #1 for about eight years straight (with a few dips).

It's very likely that he is now concentrating on two last big events of his career: WM2019 in Hungary and Olympics 2020 in Tokyo. And because internal Chinese qualification is independent on World Ranking (top 12 players) then he doesn't need to give a s**t if he is #1, #2 or #20. Yes, for seeding to the tournament he want to be in top10 but if he meets FZD in semi or final isn't probably too important for him. He will need to be in top shape and beat him or he will simply close the shop without the gold on his last event.

Reactions: Andyzhao123
This user has no status.

He should be inspired by Nadal, Djokovic and Federer.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Read 3 reviews
He's still number 1 in my eyes and will be for quite a while. The most dominant, accomplished and complete player of this era.
Seriously, who cares about the official ranking, lets instead watch the quality table tennis that a player like Ma Long can produce and has produced. It will however be interesting to see who will be the "next" Ma Long so to speak. Potentially FZD.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
He's still number 1 in my eyes and will be for quite a while. The most dominant, accomplished and complete player of this era.
Seriously, who cares about the official ranking, lets instead watch the quality table tennis that a player like Ma Long can produce and has produced. It will however be interesting to see who will be the "next" Ma Long so to speak. Potentially FZD.

An Ma Long is far more fun to watch than Zhendong, for sure. He's just one more Chinese, cookie-cutter player to me.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Read 3 reviews
An Ma Long is far more fun to watch than Zhendong, for sure. He's just one more Chinese, cookie-cutter player to me.

Not sure I agree with you here. They're both very impressive in different ways. I've now watched FZD live a couple of times and he is one of the most impressive players I've ever seen. His power is out of this world. What many people seem to think is that he's a generic player, I can sort of understand that if you compare to a player like Ma Long. From having watched pro tt a few times now, the screen really doesn't do them justice and I think especially doesn't do FZD justice, seeing it for real is like entering a different world.

FZD just seems to make lots of other incredible top players look like amateurs when he executes his shots.
I agree with vik2000.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews

I guess you don't understand how the new ranking point allocation works
should any of the new generation be absent from any world tours + having point expired, the likes of FZD can easily fall into WR20 or more within a very short time spam.
Just like the likes of Ding Ning was ranked 40 or 60 something at one stage this year....she is back to number 2 in just a few months of "active" table tennis

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I wasn't aware that he was injured. What happened? I saw that he fell in the rankings and just attributed it to advancing age - LOL.

his world ranking fell because of 2 withdrawals of world tours due to injury, thus he lost more points than gained
I guess Timo Bolls advancing age and his number 3 rank must be difficult for you to accept....

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
his world ranking fell because of 2 withdrawals of world tours due to injury, thus he lost more points than gained
I guess Timo Bolls advancing age and his number 3 rank must be difficult for you to accept....

I don't care one way or the other. I'm not sure why you've assumed that I'm broken up about it. Maybe you shouldn't jump to conclusions.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I don't care one way or the other. I'm not sure why you've assumed that I'm broken up about it. Maybe you shouldn't jump to conclusions.

If all your 4 (at this current point time) posts on this forum is all in this thread, I thought you cared a lot
lol
any ways, hope you not a troll or ZJK girls fans club member
enjoy this forum

Reactions: JST
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
Oh captain, my captain!
Tabletennis just isn't the same without you.
Lovely return to the game.

Yes!!

His TT IQ and mental strength (that's because he's one of the goodies :p) are off the charts, it's not as if he always relied on muscle strength. I could see a Pirlo-style (or take any other of your picks) adaptation to a successful and classy end of career. He's sure got the swagger, and I kind of see in him the same good-natured attitude and love of the game you need to make it far and late. CNT politics, on the other hand, is maybe the biggest threat...

Anyhow, not sure if it was clear but I've got very high hopes that the best matches are yet to come!

Last edited:
says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
The match vz fang bo was also nice.

Ma Long won 3-0 of course cuz fang bo is the punching bag of the chinese team, but you can see Ma Long doesn't move laterally as he did before. Lots of odd on-body blocks where I was used to seeing him pivot and counter-attack, and many sideways balls he couldn't (it almost seems like he wouldn't) reach.

That said his forehand is still the best forehand I've ever seen in my life and if anything looks even better now