Speed of swing and switching with a head heavy set up

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Hello All,
Appreciate some advice on my head heavy set up. I’m an aging topspin attacker struggling a bit with stamina.

I’m currently playing with a new Butterfly Korbel which has Yasaka Rakza 7 max (FH) + Donic Barracuda max (BH). Love the feel of it and the power generally works though does require a bit of oomph back from the table.

Main issue is the weight of the set up - apologies haven’t got a scale to weigh it. I find top spinning especially on the FH tiring, resetting and switching FH to BH is possibly a bit slow. Also regularly over crank/swing on BH side and get a pain the shoulder.

Wondering if I could improve my stamina, switching and general game if I moved away from a head heavy blade. Had a very brief hit with a Mizuno Fortius FT (+ Tenergy 05 )which I really liked, but it was brief and not sure if it was hugely lighter just more balanced. Also considering a Primorac, Ma Lin Extra with Rakza 7 max on both sides.
Please give me your thoughts.

Reactions: Andyzhao123
says https://www.facebook.com/eduardo.eduard.33/videos/vb.1000...
Apr 2015
Read 2 reviews
You probably should buy a custom korbel clone with a heavier and solid handle(or bigger), because the korbel maybe has hollow handle(played with it, didn't like the weight balance too), and maybe a smaller head, but not that smaller. That would concentrate more the weight on the handle and not on the head of the blade

Enviado do meu ALE-L21 através do Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Thanks. Any ideas on the best slightly lighter clones available?

You probably should buy a custom korbel clone with a heavier and solid handle(or bigger), because the korbel maybe has hollow handle(played with it, didn't like the weight balance too), and maybe a smaller head, but not that smaller. That would concentrate more the weight on the handle and not on the head of the blade

Reactions: eduardo1995filipe
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
If you do not like the blade head heavy, try putting some tape on the handle. I also have a hard time seeing that the racket is giving you pain in the shoulder. Do you warm up good beforehand? Do you tense alot when you play? I have also some shoulder problem, working out with rubber band seems to help.

Apr 2015
Read 2 reviews
Thanks. Any ideas on the best slightly lighter clones available?
Sorry, I probably didn't make me understood well, sorry if my english isn't the most correct [emoji13]

I was saying to you ask to a custom blade maker, for example like Dab Studio -> http://www.dattblades.com

There you could explain your problem tell your setup, and explain what you wanted to do to make the blade less head heavy and they would do that for you [emoji2]

Reactions: yoass and KMTT
This user has no status.
You have a great set up. It is a bit head heavy but switching to a more balanced set up would make less difference than just getting a bit fitter IMO.

Some weight training should be mandatory for older folks too. Massively helps with endurance and mobility as you age.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
I must admit to not warming up and being tense at times, though I've tried hard to relax and overcome gripping the handle too death.
What sort of tape do people use? The grip is probably a fraction big right now.

If you do not like the blade head heavy, try putting some tape on the handle. I also have a hard time seeing that the racket is giving you pain in the shoulder. Do you warm up good beforehand? Do you tense alot when you play? I have also some shoulder problem, working out with rubber band seems to help.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I must admit to not warming up and being tense at times, though I've tried hard to relax and overcome gripping the handle too death.
What sort of tape do people use? The grip is probably a fraction big right now.

Why do you not warm up when you know you have trouble with your shoulder? :) Yes, important to grip the handle loose, otherwise you will be tense in the arm and it will be hard to swing the arm fast and generate spin. Grip tape may give you help to grip the handle more loosely since you dont drop the racket so easily.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
If you have shoulder plain while playing, it is best to visit a good physiotherapist before you injure yourself. There are some exercises to help with shoulder here: http://blog.tabletennis11.com/top-3-table-tennis-injuries. But I would consult the doctor first as everybody is different.

Reactions: KMTT
This user has no status.
You have a great set up. It is a bit head heavy but switching to a more balanced set up would make less difference than just getting a bit fitter IMO.

Some weight training should be mandatory for older folks too. Massively helps with endurance and mobility as you age.

Fruit Loop is exactly right. How old are you if you don't mind me asking? A weight training program like Starting Strength would do anyone wonders and prevent injury. For cardio, put 20 lbs/10kg in a backpack and walk for 40 minutes. If you have good knees/hips/back you can do sprint repeats once a week as well. Those things will show aging in general and keep you moving well into old age if you're consistent with it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Hi TheKleifheit I'm 53 - not very unfit but have struggled with table tennis even when I've had the knees to run well, think it's likely to be core and upper body strength so yes weights and specific exercise would be ideal, just that my limited free is spent playing table tennis. Thanks for your suggestions have to invest in some cheap weights for home.

Man_iii just did a rough weighing on cooking scales and the bat came in at 200g. I certainly am noticing the head weight compared to the Timo Boll Spirit and Innerforce ZLC I've used in the past.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Hi TheKleifheit I'm 53 - not very unfit but have struggled with table tennis even when I've had the knees to run well, think it's likely to be core and upper body strength so yes weights and specific exercise would be ideal, just that my limited free is spent playing table tennis. Thanks for your suggestions have to invest in some cheap weights for home.

Man_iii just did a rough weighing on cooking scales and the bat came in at 200g. I certainly am noticing the head weight compared to the Timo Boll Spirit and Innerforce ZLC I've used in the past.

Another option for you would be You Are Your Own Gym by Mark Lauren. It's all bodyweight exercises that can be done at home, so your total investment would be about 10 USD. It works very well if you commit to it and it doesn't take much time at all (2-2.5 hours a week max).

Reactions: KMTT and sspark80
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Just warm up goes a long way. Can not complain about getting pain and injury when you not warm up.

Reactions: RidTheKid