Speed of swing and switching with a head heavy set up

This user has no status.
Hi TheKleifheit I'm 53 - not very unfit but have struggled with table tennis even when I've had the knees to run well, think it's likely to be core and upper body strength so yes weights and specific exercise would be ideal, just that my limited free is spent playing table tennis. Thanks for your suggestions have to invest in some cheap weights for home.

Man_iii just did a rough weighing on cooking scales and the bat came in at 200g. I certainly am noticing the head weight compared to the Timo Boll Spirit and Innerforce ZLC I've used in the past.
200grams!!!! :p That is worse than a sledgehammer :-/ How r u able to lift your arm with that!!??? My ideal bat weight is just 150 -160g i use balsa blades becos of that.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
Probably the pain is not coming from your blade but from bad technique
If you don’t correct your technique whatever blade you use, your pain will get worse
I would seek good professional coaching advice. One hour with a good coach is cheaper than a new setup or than hours at a hospital

Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Thanks for all your comments. I attend group coaching and some 1 to 1 training occasionally, my technique has some faults I admit but is reasonable for my (intermediate?) level. I can see that I need to work on conditioning and maybe try another blade. Shame as I'm enjoying playing with a simple 5 ply wood.Wondering if the head weight is helping my topspin.

Last edited:
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Dude, Ur rubbers should weigh around 42-43 grams for Rakza 7 and 49 for Barracuda... that is around 92 grams tops... Ur blade might be around 90ish... which puts weight at low 180s, mid 180s tops... that is an average weight for offensive setup.

You may or may not have head heaviness, I never used a Korbel.

I bet you twenty two pints I can pick up Ur bat and spin the ball hard enough to have you block and the ball fly off like a bat outta hell... whether I use a FH or BH.

You have a very high spin potential setup that facilitates ease of spin production. You should be able to relatively effortlessly spin using your setup.

I would be forty four pints that the scale you used is not very precise to the .1 gram increment calibrated close enough accurate.

I will bet double or nothing TTD will not like the vid below on how to "Whip it Good" that can transfer to TT in the production of a good whip. Next Level and many others used to talk about this forever on how to produce spin.

Reactions: KMTT and ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
My two cents worth.

Asking for advice on a table tennis forum:
  • Forum members play table tennis. (Some don't even manage that.)
  • Someone who plays table tennis is not a doctor.
  • People who offer you medical advice but who are not doctors should be avoided.
  • Forum members know some stuff about table tennis equipment.
  • Most of the time (as in, 99% of the time) their opinions are entirely subjective.
  • Subjective opinions rarely make for good advice. (As in, what works for one person does not guarantee it will work for any other person on the planet.)
  • Advice given is often contradictory.
  • Following contradictory advice is a short cut to insanity.
  • A lot of advice is given from the depths of ignorance, but how do you know?
  • A lot of advice is best classified as "old wives' tales".

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I agree with some of that But would say that almost all technique is subjective. There are No rigth way to play tabletennis i think. More like guidelines you should think about, But if you look at top players a Lot of them have different technique. In my opinion schlager is very stiff and robotlike, and Do not have the nicest technique But is proably and unfortunaly Maybe the last european world champion.

Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
My two cents worth.

Asking for advice on a table tennis forum:
  • Forum members play table tennis. (Some don't even manage that.)
  • Someone who plays table tennis is not a doctor.
  • People who offer you medical advice but who are not doctors should be avoided.
  • Forum members know some stuff about table tennis equipment.
  • Most of the time (as in, 99% of the time) their opinions are entirely subjective.
  • Subjective opinions rarely make for good advice. (As in, what works for one person does not guarantee it will work for any other person on the planet.)
  • Advice given is often contradictory.
  • Following contradictory advice is a short cut to insanity.
  • A lot of advice is given from the depths of ignorance, but how do you know?
  • A lot of advice is best classified as "old wives' tales".

Whilst this is mostly true it could be applied to basically everything in life. Doctors know nothing of weight training or physical therapy and yet they offer their opinion constantly.

It's up to the person to critically analyse this stuff for themselves.

Reactions: thekleifheit13
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Whilst this is mostly true it could be applied to basically everything in life. Doctors know nothing of weight training or physical therapy and yet they offer their opinion constantly.

It's up to the person to critically analyse this stuff for themselves.

You left out the most glaring one... NUTRITION.

So many aspects of nutrition maintain health, improve it, or fix conditions... and cost so little or zero money, instead of hundreds. thousands. or millions. White coats are PAID to sucker you and themselves (and governments) out ever increasing amounts of money. Poor nutrition plays right into their hands. Compromising the food supply plays right into their hands.

Follow the money. Look at the time and data. Who spent what to get a result (zero, positive or negative) Who is getting an ever increasing revenue stream?

Last edited:
Reactions: thekleifheit13
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I agree with some of that But would say that almost all technique is subjective. There are No rigth way to play tabletennis i think. More like guidelines you should think about, But if you look at top players a Lot of them have different technique. In my opinion schlager is very stiff and robotlike, and Do not have the nicest technique But is proably and unfortunaly Maybe the last european world champion.

A lot of Korean pros, especially Kim Jung Hoon in nearly every video of his I gist… consistently says... there is NO SINGLE RIGHT ANSWER in TT.

The Korean goes like "탁구는 정답이 없어요"

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
You left out the most glaring one... NUTRITION.

So many aspects of nutrition maintain health, improve it, or fix conditions... and cost so little or zero money, instead of hundreds. thousands. or millions. White coats are PAID to sucker you and themselves (and governments) out ever increasing amounts of money. Poor nutrition plays right into their hands. Compromising the food supply plays right into their hands.

Follow the money. Look at the time and data. Who spent what to get a result (zero, positive or negative) Who is getting an ever increasing revenue stream?
I really do hope you're not suggesting the "nutrition" industry knows more about this than the scientific community. The vast majority of stuff floating around about "nutrition" is hocus pocus at best and criminal at worst. Gatorade is a classic example: soft drink advertised as sports fluid. Then the legion of diets, supplements, vitamins - with only a tiny percentage having any genuine benefit. Follow the money?

Reactions: Der_Echte
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Gatorade as "nutrition" is laughable just as you describe it.

Gatorade, "energy drinks", and soda pops along with the sugar beverage industry are hugely supporting the white coats' income stream. Sugar is one of the next "Cigarettes" scandals of corporate denial. Cigarette makes knew smoking accelerates chronic bad health and death. That was and still is a boon to the white coats.

Gatorade is real poor nutrition for sport... 8 oz has 14g sugar... everyone drinks a 32 oz dose during sport... maybe several. That is 56 grams sugar per 32 oz bottle... frequently on sale for a USD 1 or so...

Energy drink worse... 25g sugar per 8 oz... usually comes in 16 oz can... 50 g sugar per can... my Soldiers in warm climates drank 2-3 of those BEFORE LUNCH... that is 100-150 gr of sugar...

All that excess sugar over time wrecks your body and health in numerous ways. That is another way sugar industry is a friend to white coats pocketbooks. Not just once, but continually.

Enough of the sugar trip, or our USA food supply as a whole.

When I say doctors do not know much about nutrition, I am serious. As a whole, in USA, they get maybe a few hrs training on it. Our grandmothers and their mothers knew the importance of why and how to maintain an immune system. They knew how to make food to achieve that. It is almost forgotten in USA.

When I say follow the money... look at where the majority of expenditures for medical costs go... they go towards dealing with what are mostly conditions created by man... then how conditions are kept to make this repeatable and progressively more expensive and who is paying how much... there is a lot of motivation to keep the gravy trail rolling and get bigger.

Enough of that stuff too.

If a player several days out does not do a good job of managing rest, hydration, nutrition and on match day does a poor job nutrition, hydration, mineral balance... player is gunna get rekt.

Reactions: bircham boi
This user has no status.
I really do hope you're not suggesting the "nutrition" industry knows more about this than the scientific community. The vast majority of stuff floating around about "nutrition" is hocus pocus at best and criminal at worst. Gatorade is a classic example: soft drink advertised as sports fluid. Then the legion of diets, supplements, vitamins - with only a tiny percentage having any genuine benefit. Follow the money?

The scientific community are very far from a consensus in a lot of areas nutrition being one of them.

says Hi this is Sangeena From India
says Hi this is Sangeena From India
Nov 2018
Hi Guys.Now only ill joing here so kindly please help to clear my doubts and problems hope you are all support me.Thanking you

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Der Echte: great to see some DEVO on a table tennis forum. Hadn't weighed the bat in my original post then found some rudimentary scales, so must admit there's a good chance the weight measure is inaccurate. However, in comparison to the bats I've had and tried out, this is the heaviest. I assume this is a factor in handling a heavy bat, I'm 1.65 metres (height) and about 66kg.

Yogi: Apologies but uploading a video clip fills me with dread. Have bad habits, the main one is serious head movement on FH and BH, especially when the ball is into my body or wide. I'm working on it!

Reactions: Der_Echte
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
KMTT,

The weapon of choice for high level amateur Chinese trained TT coaches to assign to 10 yr old kids for battle in TT is a BTY Viscaria (average it out at 90 grams to be on the heavy side) H3 goes around 50 grams cut (heavier if tuned... and yeah, coach tunes it for 'em)… and T05 on BH is also around 50 grams untuned (yeah, coach can tune that fish too to make it heavier)

Add that up and it is upper 180s to 190 grams... for a TEN YEAR OLD KID who can hit it a ton when they wind up and transfer power correctly... and be damned sure Chinese coach effectively taught junior how to transfer power with his body... all 80 pounds of him. (38 kg with no noticeable muscle mass)

I say all that to say the bat in your signature is not a significant weight or spin potential problem. It is actually very well built to perform in that area. (spinning the ball heavily) That is why I wagered so many drinks I could pick up your bat and spin the crap outta the ball.

One thing to note, as me and a few friends DO try out a LOT of equipment (TTD member erm) it can be darned difficult to immediately adjust the swing timing to impact for each different bat if we have already been using the same bat long enough for hours at a time. It is the reason why we as relatively advanced amateurs can swing at miss at a "Can't Miss" kind of ball when testing multiple bats in the same session.

I occasionally post that Devo clip as a joke to the whip thing... but whip mechanics are a serious thing deserving attention. They are how we generate and transfer power/energy to the ball in terms of spin and speed.

Reactions: KMTT
Well, the thing is not all of us train like a 10 year old in China, not all of us have a coach. Some of us even have limitations due to age, inflexibility or disability so let him be unless he has no other choice but to use a heavy bat.

Reactions: KMTT