Butterfly Tenergy 05 HARD review

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
My EJ virus was reactivated after seeing the new Tenergy 05 HARD. So I ordered a sheet from Prott.vip :D:rolleyes:

Dan has done an excellent work on unboxing. So I will skip that part.

For this review, I will compare Tenergy 05 Hard (T05H) to the following rubbers I had played on my penhold ZJK ALC:
  • Hurricane 3 National BS (H3N) 40degree
  • Tenergy 05 (T05)
  • MXS

I play spin game most of the time and step away to mid distance for two-wing looping.

Topspin

Power - T05H=H3N>T05>MXS
Spin - H3N>T05H>T05>MXS
Feel (medium impact) - T05>MXS>T05H>H3N
Feel (high impact) - T05=T05H>MXS > H3N

I expected the T05H to be faster and more spinny than T05 due to its harder sponge. It turned out as expected. Most of my topspin landed further than usual and it created a lot of trouble for my opponent to block. For spin, H3N is still the king. However, at high impact when looping at mid-distance, T05H is only slightly less spinny than H3N. The feel of the rubber improves as you hit or loop harder as you are breaking into the hard sponge.

Flat hit
Power - T05H>T05>MXS>H3N
As many of us expected, flat hitting with T05H is a joy when the ball travels at bullet speed. The consistency is also higher than tacky rubber as the angle of your racket does not need to be super precise.

Flick
Consistency - H3N>T05>T05H>MXS
I do FH flick near the net a lot. In this aspect, H3N tends to deliver a higher success rate due to the grippy topsheet. When I first flicked with T05H the ball went to the net a lot. Then I realized at low impact, the T05H topsheet doesn't grab the ball as well as the H3N. T05 is easier than T05H as a softer sponge is bouncier at low impact.

It took me a few games to adjust to T05H. To flick with T05H I had to brush less and hit more to lift the ball. Once you can flick the ball over the net, it is faster than with H3N but less spin.

Block
Consistency - MXS>T05>T05H>H3N
The difference is very marginal once you've adjusted to the rubber. But overall the ones with softer sponge (T05 and MXS) means blocking is more linear than ones with harder sponge (T05H and H3N). Again, due to the powerful harder sponge, the ball may fly all the way out with T05H. You just need to close the angle a little. The difference is quite marginal.

Serve
Spin - H3N>T05H>T05>MXS
As I said, when it comes to spin, H3N is still king. No exception here. H3N delivered the most spinny shortest serve. I took me some time to adjust to T05H. But due to its harder sponge, it was easier to keep the ball short than with T05.

Service return
H3N>T05H>T05>MXS
Again, H3N keeps the return low and short due to the grippy topsheet. T05H can still keep the ball low and short once you've put enough practice into it. In fact, T05H has one advantage over H3N - topsheet less sensitive to spin. I was surprised I kept my return nice and low when I was guessing the opponent's serve.

Alright, this is just a mini review after 3 hours of playing. I will add more details next week. Hopefully this review is not going to reactivate your EJ virus :D

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Does the T05 Hard have mor catapult effect that T05 in soft hits (serve, block, push) or the power only comes out when you're doing hard hit (looping, smacking)?

T05H is less bouncy than T05 in serve which is a good thing. If you are blocking against hard loop, T05H definitely has more catapult than T05. Against gentle hit? Probably less catapult than T05.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Do you think hard is to hard for backhand? And which one Do you like best overall? If you can only choose one of them.

Reactions: LucasMcCaine
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I would stick to tenergy 05 on the backhand .. I have a Viscaria with each on either side , using T05 H on the FH but the T05 on the BH is a little older .. .. I will switch it around next week and let you know how it feels
Do you think hard is to hard for backhand? And which one Do you like best overall? If you can only choose one of them.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
How do you compare the T05H to a four week-old H3N National? I love the H3N National but constantly having to buy a new one and boosting is such a hassle.

I have played H3N for a long time. I agree the boosting process is such a hassle. I have tried so many tensor rubbers - Omega V Pro, Andro Powergrip, Razka 7, MXP, MXS and T05 but none come close to the short game advantage of H3N until T05H came. It really changed the game, the spin of T05H comes very close to H3N and short game is a breeze compared to T05.

I injured my back and right knee so looping with Chinese rubber has been an issue for me. And T05H really helped lift my game.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Completely agree to this.. infact I felt that you can counteract the slowness of plastic ball with the extra power and spin....
I have played H3N for a long time. I agree the boosting process is such a hassle. I have tried so many tensor rubbers - Omega V Pro, Andro Powergrip, Razka 7, MXP, MXS and T05 but none come close to the short game advantage of H3N until T05H came. It really changed the game, the spin of T05H comes very close to H3N and short game is a breeze compared to T05.

I injured my back and right knee so looping with Chinese rubber has been an issue for me. And T05H really helped lift my game.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I am also interested in knowing if Tenergy really is worth the money? is it so much better than the alternatives? I find tenergys to be very expensive. Thanks!

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
I am also interested in knowing if Tenergy really is worth the money? is it so much better than the alternatives? I find tenergys to be very expensive. Thanks!

Worth is a relative notion, and how much the cost impacts you too. If you’re rich, two pops for a loaf of bread (or five pops for a cup of starbucks sewerwater) doesn’t amount to much.

If you’re not so lucky, a few pops means keeping your family from starvation for a few weeks.

If you have money to burn, then the Tenergies are worth considering. I know and like T05, and while expensive they are not that much more expensive than what the other brands offer at the high end of the spectrum; 10-20% mote costly, and given durability maybe even slightly more economical than some others.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
@Lula I tried to use the T05 H on the backhand , its giving you a lot of power and spin but it will need considerable work to get the consistency to work .. unless you are BH dominant player whole feel and consistency on that wing is on a whole different level , I would not recommend .. I was able to hit through my opponent more than using my T05 but sensitivity to correct timing is more than t05 ...

NDH

says Spin to win!
Not at all. Just find the return to Tenergy interesting. I might have predicted it a while back.

Oh, haha.

The MXS switch was purely a financial decision (33 quid per sheet vs 57 quid!)

I’ve enjoyed it on the forehand, and would have no problem using it again.

The backhand has been OK, but it’s a bit hard!

I could have gone for EL-P which would do the job, but figured I’d treat myself to Tenergy again and see what it’s like on this blade.

Durability is OK on MXS - Probably 85% of Tenergy which still makes it better overall, but does absorb some of that price difference.

Have you used TO5 hard?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
How would you guys compare T05H to MX-S?

I've just ordered it to replace my MX-S on the forehand (reverting back to T05 on the backhand).

I have a feeling it'll be a tiny bit softer than MX-S, but similar properties overall.

T05H is faster and more spinny than MXS although the sponge feels similar. Feeling-wise, MXS has better feeling.

You will enjoy the noticeable extra power and spin with T05H. Once you hit hard you can hear the typical "Click" of the tenergy sponge.