Butterfly Tenergy 05 HARD review

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Oh, haha.

The MXS switch was purely a financial decision (33 quid per sheet vs 57 quid!)

I’ve enjoyed it on the forehand, and would have no problem using it again.

The backhand has been OK, but it’s a bit hard!

I could have gone for EL-P which would do the job, but figured I’d treat myself to Tenergy again and see what it’s like on this blade.

Durability is OK on MXS - Probably 85% of Tenergy which still makes it better overall, but does absorb some of that price difference.

Have you used TO5 hard?

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk
No. Taking a break from the game. Maybe early next year.

Reactions: LucasMcCaine
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
I have tried the tenergy 05 hard but am surprised by how no one pointed out how heavy it is. When I played with it it almost felt like lifting weights haha
If it wasn't for its heaviness I'd probably play it now but I returned to H3N

I play penhold, imagine how much weight I need to carry with my fingers.

I knew it is heavy. That's why I use a thin Tibhar Nimbus soft on my backhand to lighten the whole setup.

Reactions: LucasMcCaine
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Read 19 reviews
I have tried the tenergy 05 hard but am surprised by how no one pointed out how heavy it is. When I played with it it almost felt like lifting weights haha
If it wasn't for its heaviness I'd probably play it now but I returned to H3N

How do you find H3N and T05 H? Any differences?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Update after 2nd session

I played another session tonight with my T05H setup. While stepping around to launch FH loop, I felt some familiar performance between the T05H and Hurricane 3 National.

When I was out of position to attack, I tried to loop using forearm with insufficient rotation of my body. These shots went straight down the net. This behaviour reminded me of my previous H3. With low to medium impact, you can't unleash the power of the harder tenergy sponge and your shot will likely go weaker than if you hit T05 with the same force.

In contrast, if you attack with a full swing you will be surprised by the tremendous speed. Just like H3, you need proper swing and technique to unleash the real power of T05H. But I would say this threshold is lower with T05H than with H3.

Looping from mid-distance is a dream especially with a bad knee. H3 or TG2 could have killed my knee.

A side note, it's been raining all day until like 3pm. The summer sun made the stadium really humid. I used to have trouble with H3 when the topsheet became very slippery. Lucky T05H remained very dry throughout the night. That's another advantage:rolleyes:

This user has no status.
How do you find H3N and T05 H? Any differences?
When it comes to flat hitting as mentioned before the T05H takes the prize but no wonder Chinese rubbers aren't made for that anyways. That's why I play T05 on the backhand and switch if needed.
The H3N has slightly longer dwell time and more control. More forgiving I'd say. At least the orange sponge provincial version
For the T05H your movement has to be really exact. It tends to fall down quite fast so if you don't finish your stroke all the way to your head or execute a rushed stroke it tends to go into the net from time to time.
So in general, both are good rubbers but due to the heaviness and "unforgivingness" (if that's a word) I'd rather play the T05H once my technique is nearly perfect. As little mistakes get punished quite easily

Last edited:

NDH

says Spin to win!
So, I thought I'd continue in this thread rather than starting a new thread.

Disclaimer, my opinions are based on my experience, technique and ability - Your mileage may vary.

If you want a reference, here's a video of me playing earlier in the year - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk2EWBlHoQc&t=47s

Tenergy05 Hard Initial thoughts.

My recent equipment history up to this point reads like.....

Garaydia ZLC with T05 on both sides for a few years.

Switched to Tibhar VS Unlimited with MX-S on both sides in August.

Then, as of last night, trying out T05H on forehand, and T05 on the backhand (still on the VS Unlimited).

The first thing to say, is that T05H is really not that hard - It's harder than other Tenergy's, sure. But it's a long way short of being as hard as MX-S or any of your typical Chinese rubbers.

T05 vs T05H.

T05H has a more direct trajectory - But there's not a lot in it.

It allows for a bit more speed and power on attack strokes, but you just need to remember that it's not going to arc as much as T05.

In fact, T05H is very similar to MX-S (on my forehand) - There was very little adjustment needed (if any), but there was a tiny bit more "trampoline" effect with T05H, but again, barely noticeable.

I've seen people say that it's not good for away from the table loops - But personally, I would disagree with this.

I prefer it, because I can get the power I need, without having a huge arc like T05 produces.

This is possibly due to the fact I'm 6ft 4, but the point remains - It's as good away from the table as it is up close.

I found blocking comfortable with it, and it's probably less sensitive to incoming spin compared with T05.

Spin wise, I found both T05 and T05H to be similar in game play and on serve.

You can keep it a little shorter with T05H, but not as short as you can with MX-S (although you can spin it more with T05H).

It's really easy to over analyse little stats, and people's opinions on rubbers, but the fact it, this is exactly what it sounds like.

It's an ever so slightly harder version of T05 - The rest of the characteristics are very similar.

For me, my initial impression is very very good. It took a day or two to get used to MX-S, having played with T05 for years (the hardness more than anything).

But I find a slightly harder sponge on the forehand opens up a few more options to you.

Dropping down in hardness from MX-S to T05H seems like a good move, and I certainly played well with it yesterday.

Note..... Putting T05 on the backhand, having played with MX-S for a few months was a very welcome return!

If anyone has any questions, fire away!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
That was a great write up on T05 Hard. The most obvious difference to T05 is definitely the lower arc when looping and easier to do a backhand punch.
How did you find the open ups compared to T05?

T05H requires a higher level of swing to open up compared to T05 as more force is needed to break in the harder sponge.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
True .. but you can generate more spin than T05 if you can swing right .. the spin that we lost in T05 with the plastic ball change is back if you can make the right contact ... however, the spin is comparable to H3 , although the contact and touch is slightly different ... and the wrap around loop drives with H3 is not possible with T05 H ... the contact is different and needs more brush to hit ratio than H3...
T05H requires a higher level of swing to open up compared to T05 as more force is needed to break in the harder sponge.

Reactions: jedimasterplk
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
True .. but you can generate more spin than T05 if you can swing right .. the spin that we lost in T05 with the plastic ball change is back if you can make the right contact ... however, the spin is comparable to H3 , although the contact and touch is slightly different ... and the wrap around loop drives with H3 is not possible with T05 H ... the contact is different and needs more brush to hit ratio than H3...

Yes, T05H behaves more like a Chinese rubber than does T05. Of course the topsheet is non-tacky, but in terms of sponge behaviour it is trending toward the Chinese hard sponge design.

Reactions: jedimasterplk