Materials for blades

This user has no status.
So I'm thinking of building a few custom blades. I'm looking for some input from the custom blade guys here for finding and ordering materials.

Materials needed:
Wood veneers
Wood for core
Wood for handles
Cork
Composites

If you guys have reputable vendors for any of these items I'd really appreciate it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
So I'm thinking of building a few custom blades. I'm looking for some input from the custom blade guys here for finding and ordering materials.

Materials needed:
Wood veneers
Wood for core
Wood for handles
Cork
Composites

If you guys have reputable vendors for any of these items I'd really appreciate it.

Loads of stuff on these threads:
https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/forum/showthread.php?11808-Create-your-own-blade
https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/fo...lade-Builders-Thread&highlight=blade+builders

Reactions: Giangt
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
You are so right. Tons of information, equipment, the works! Well, looks like I'll be purchasing a lot of stuff. My wife is really going to like this one. Lol

Have you got tools? You'll need a router table and a veneer press as a minimum to start with. You can make a veneer press quite easily and cheaply and you'll need to sort out templates for the blade and handles. I always advise starting out with balsa cores as they tend to be cheaper so they are good for honing your skills when you first start, but I suppose it depends on how good your woodworking skills are already!
Also have a good look at the wood database and learn about the properties of different woods. Yogi Bear is right about the commonly used veneers but you can use many others which, in my opinion, work just as well. I really like poplar, elm, walnut and sycamore.
It's a great feeling to play with a blade you've made yourself and as you can probably see there are loads of TTD members making quality blades. What's not so good is when someone beats you and they are using a blade you made for them, it's happened twice for me this year!
Good luck and use one of threads above to ask questions, you'll get plenty of advice and support!

Reactions: bobpuls
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
Those threads that GinjaNinja posted contain all of the information you would need to make your own blades - there is a lot of information to sort through, but it would REALLY give you a good idea of how to proceed. Take the time and read through the blade-builder-master-thread that Giangt compiled.

If you want to order small quantities of veneer woods, with a seller who combines shipping costs, ebay has someone named "chicagoveneer" who sells veneer at an incredibly low price (not actually sure how they make any money). If you want really high quality veneers, there are vendors in the US that have been linked in those other threads.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
Those threads that GinjaNinja posted contain all of the information you would need to make your own blades - there is a lot of information to sort through, but it would REALLY give you a good idea of how to proceed. Take the time and read through the blade-builder-master-thread that Giangt compiled.

If you want to order small quantities of veneer woods, with a seller who combines shipping costs, ebay has someone named "chicagoveneer" who sells veneer at an incredibly low price (not actually sure how they make any money). If you want really high quality veneers, there are vendors in the US that have been linked in those other threads.
Do You have the link to Chicago veneers? Thanks in advance

Enviado desde mi Moto G (4) mediante Tapatalk