How to improve from 2000 to 2200

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
A video is better than a million words. You're pretty consistent, and just playing more aggressive alone can get you further ahead. How to do that? Better bio-mechanics and more sophisticated tactics.

I just watched it very fast, so maybe im wrong.

I think the other player is better than you, but you make it very easy for him. You need to work more on serve and return! You push long all the time. It is easy to play against someone that always push long. He knows the ball will be long. If you should push long you must be ready to get your racket high and block the next ball. He always get the advantage when you push long. The rare times you get to open first, you should try to accelerate more with the forearm to generate more spin and you know you will get a block on the next ball, then you must try to do something on the ball. Play it harder or place it better so you will have the advantage.

I also notice that you loose the table alot, it is difficult to win if you play to far from the table.

I also think you do not think so much when you do serve and return. You always need a purpose with everything, all the time. Othervise it is just luck if you win.

Please post a video with just practice, that would be interesting.

Good Luck!

This user has no status.
Hi I don’t know how old you are. I’m French and playing in Japan, I don’t know my US rating but from the equivalence table and videos I’ve seen i believe this is the kind of progression I made recently.

In my 20s My best French rating was 1350 which is around 2000 US

Then I dipped to 1000-1100 due to less training and competition, then started coaching lessons 5 years ago and I’d say i recovered my previous level although in a different style a year and a half ago then in my 40s exceeded my youth level, in a different style

I don’t want to comment much on overall technique in this post, but to improve, first of all, having a professional coach and hitting partners of a good level above you’re but also below, and willing to drill, will help a lot.

Also improving your attitude when training, meaning playing all points with 100% focus even against weaker players, drilling, or blocking for your partner is very important

I think i started to improve dramatically when I started to do multiball training. It improved my fitness and retrained my brain. It’s so fast that you have to look at the ball from the guy distributing and you have no time to stand still and look where your own ball landed

Also it’s so fast that even if I get to play a fast player in a match i almost have the impression it’s slow motion no kidding, I’m not losing because of speed but technique etc

Also I understood that some drills like footwork drills (example 2BH 2 FH then repeat) be done slowly first. They are about footwork. For many years I was doing them too fast and often missing after 5 or 6 balls. You should work on them to be consistent and do 20 or more in a row without missing. Stamina is part of the equation and if you go too fast the ball comes back fast and you might get tired and miss. And that’s also important for focus, when doing 20 balls there will always be one or two going let or edge and you have the opportunity to fight to get them. But most of all it’s important for proper footwork ! It almost doesn’t matter in the beginning if the shot quality is good in those drills what is important is to be in good position early, feel your leg muscles, understand if you have good balance or not, be able to stay relaxed, especially the upper leg from which you should move, and always being in movement. To be consistent you should try to shorten your strokes and recover quickly

Serve receive is a very important part of the game especially working on both flicks. Drill not only lateral movement but to/away from the table. Then it’s about working some tactics where you can use your strong shots and explore combos that suit you.

Hope it helps

As I choke on my coffee reading this. Did you just say French rating of 1350 is equivalent to 2000 US player? I haven't been to France in a long time. I'm going to make it a point to test that theory personally. Where they at!!!

This user has no status.
A video is better than a million words. You're pretty consistent, and just playing more aggressive alone can get you further ahead. How to do that? Better bio-mechanics and more sophisticated tactics.

My two cents:

1. Standing too tall (keep the feet further apart to get lower and drop you bottom) At 1:25 you see a prime example of not being low enough. You played a passive forehand. But if you were lower that fh would have been ripped to either corner!
2. I'm not sure if I saw you attack any serve using a bh flick. You need that shot
3. Push long has already been mentioned
4. More serve variation (unless you have a particular serve that the opponent can't pick up on...you need to vary spin and placement)
5. Way too passive...seems like you were overwhelmed before you started playing. Falling back of the table, not looking to initiate the attacks. Expecting him to be unbeatable when you actually had a good chance of winning. You hit some great attacking forehands!
6. You were not expecting some shots to come back. (1:49 is a great example) That's a byproduct of not practicing with people above your level. You have to be pushed in practice to get better.
7. You've got the same issue my coach told me. You need a over the table backhand! Close to the table backhand! NOT A PUNCH...but a for sure Liam Pitchford, Dima, Fan Zhendong backhand (did I leave anyone out...lol) You with an attacking backhand are 2200 even with serve return issues
I like your fh open up. Although I think you can get more zip on it with the right mechanics. Hip /shoulder rotation, legs, etc. But your bh open needs a bit more work. I'm known for spinning my backhand open, (I love to see the ball just float off the end of the table after it hits their rubber...what a helpless feeling) but lately I've developed a more attacking bh open up. Yours at this point is neither spinny or hard. Bend the knees, don't reach down for the ball. The ball for me, at contact is around the sternum, not the hip. Try to keep the ball in front of your stomach. Bend the knees to hit the low ball, don't reach down. Adds so much to the shot.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
As I choke on my coffee reading this. Did you just say French rating of 1350 is equivalent to 2000 US player? I haven't been to France in a long time. I'm going to make it a point to test that theory personally. Where they at!!!

actually my memory failed me
i saw that info on that French forum
https://forum.tennis-de-table.com/t/equivalence-classement-us/8948

it says 2000 in US is roughly around 1500-1600 points in France.
from what I see in the video, it seems rather fair for OP.

I agree with your analysis of OP's game. His footwork and rally strokes are rather good but the other guy is more consistent and powerful, so OP was not winning the rallies on average. OP's BH is not agressive enough and it doesn't help he tends to go away from the table quickly.

Serve/Receive was OP main weakness, his receiving game is not agressive enough, too many long push receives, it looks like he doesn't know or try to receive short anytime. He could seldom get a decisive advantage from his serve and 3rd ball. Quite often he has time to play that 3rd ball but he's playing that ball a bit too passive. It should be enough against weaker players but not against this kind of opponent.

I think OP should stay closer to the table. maybe thats not his style now. But going systematically back so early in the rally is doing him no good.

This user has no status.
actually my memory failed me
i saw that info on that French forum
https://forum.tennis-de-table.com/t/equivalence-classement-us/8948

it says 2000 in US is roughly around 1500-1600 points in France.
from what I see in the video, it seems rather fair for OP.

I agree with your analysis of OP's game. His footwork and rally strokes are rather good but the other guy is more consistent and powerful, so OP was not winning the rallies on average. OP's BH is not agressive enough and it doesn't help he tends to go away from the table quickly.

Serve/Receive was OP main weakness, his receiving game is not agressive enough, too many long push receives, it looks like he doesn't know or try to receive short anytime. He could seldom get a decisive advantage from his serve and 3rd ball. Quite often he has time to play that 3rd ball but he's playing that ball a bit too passive. It should be enough against weaker players but not against this kind of opponent.

I think OP should stay closer to the table. maybe thats not his style now. But going systematically back so early in the rally is doing him no good.

Glad you corrected it. Had me looking for cheap flights. Lol This is a great thread... Hope he gets to his goal.

This user has no status.
Glad you corrected it. Had me looking for cheap flights. Lol This is a great thread... Hope he gets to his goal.

yep so my own level is more around US 1900-2000 I believe and not around 2200, i didn't have the right conversion scale in mind.

This user has no status.
practising 4days / week including a 1:1 coach session... +1 running session a week :) I'm a TT fanatic LOL

no genius here. I need a lot of hard training to get just a little better. slow learner, but ain't giving up !
won my first significant tournament after so many years in TT a few weeks ago !

Last edited:
This user has no status.
practising 4days / week including a 1:1 coach session... +1 running session a week :) I'm a TT fanatic LOL

no genius here. I need a lot of hard training to get just a little better. slow learner, but ain't giving up !
won my first significant tournament after so many years in TT a few weeks ago !

I know the feeling. I'm normally in the club at least 5-6 days a week. And plenty of video analysis of other players that I try to incorporate into my game. BH flick (fan), bh (Liam/Ma Long)...before work took over I was incorporating Harimoto on my fh (reaching further back before contact and coming of the ground). Ads so much more quality to the shot. My blocker could hardly keep the ball on the table...and he's a great blocker.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
The most important thing, by far and way, is to have an equal or higher level training partner and to work out a few hours a week, on average at least an hour a day, with that partner. Compared to that, the rest is mostly gist.

I agree that it is most important to practice alot But i Do think it is possible to become better playing with players that are not as good as you. I am only playing with those kind of players and it works pretty okay, as long as you play easy exercises. But for sure, it would be better to practice with better players.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Here is a very recent video of my game from the Joola Teams torunament during Thanksgiving break. The other video you guys posted is a little bit outdated. So please give me feedback about this one:

Tactics. When I play kids, first thing I try is, 1: serve double heavy backspin, 2: lob them down. Most kids usually have trouble because they are not used to the amount of spin and they don't have the strength to open it up. Lobbing is a quick and dirty way to demoralize them since they don't have the reach.

Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Here is a very recent video of my game from the Joola Teams torunament during Thanksgiving break. The other video you guys posted is a little bit outdated. So please give me feedback about this one:

I have no time at the moment to watch the whole match, but from the little i saw i think you do more or less the same mistakes in this match as the other clip. So i think you should read through the comments and try to correct it :)

This user has no status.

Yep. Pretty much the same things going on. One thing I notice that I didn't see in the first video. Your backswing is incredibly short on most of your shots. Your guiding the ball a whole lot. You've got to open your shoulders and get some rotation going on. I noticed you said that you are not hitting the ball past your opponent. Well, that's part of the reason. You've got to take a bigger backswing and turn your shoulders as often as possible to place your opponent on defense with your strong shots. Watch Harimoto fh practice on YouTube. You'll see what I mean.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016

If you are trying to reach 2200, your forehand is passable at best, and your backhand is not up to par at all. Pretty much everything needs to be a little better: spin, speed, placement.

Not to mention your service receive is pretty passive. You need to do spinnier pushes and loops. Whatever flips you did weren't particularly great in any way.

You should do more shots like 5:56 in your video. Practice killer loops in general, especially down the line (easy point winners against lower levels). There were a lot of points in the video that you should have won quickly if you looped harder.

Not only that, it doesn't look like you are good at punishing your opponent for going long. Whether it is a long or half-long serve/push, you want to be able to loop those hard.
Your loops in your current state don't apply much pressure to the opponent, especially your backhand.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I agree that it is most important to practice alot But i Do think it is possible to become better playing with players that are not as good as you. I am only playing with those kind of players and it works pretty okay, as long as you play easy exercises. But for sure, it would be better to practice with better players.

Not on a regular basis unless the drills you do push you a lot and the quality of the lower level player when doing drills is similar to better players but their main issue is movement. You need to see quality balls come back to get better. I actually thought that it was possible to get better practicing with weaker players and it is. But if they are more than 100 pts below your USATT, it is much harder.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
The most important thing, by far and way, is to have an equal or higher level training partner and to work out a few hours a week, on average at least an hour a day, with that partner. Compared to that, the rest is mostly gist.
I play 2x a week... which shouldn't be enough to maintain level... but because I play primarily with 2 or 3 players considerably above my level, the quality of all my shots has really improved and it has shown in results the last few tourneys.

I grew what feels like 2 levels the last year.

My last trip to NYC co.peting with 2100 plus players 5 sets and later defeating one after 12 hrs in club is also a positive indicator.

Steel sharpens steel. The other player, Sergey, he moved up from low 2000s to 2200 level as well.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi