How to improve from 2000 to 2200

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016
Are there no lobbers or fishers at the 2200-2300 level? I've seen the OP's videos, and he seems to drop back by nature. Kind of a Jun Mitzutani, Michael Maze or "french" style of off the table retrieving. Most the advice listed here mainly pigeon-holes him into becoming a better attack, generally closer to the table. Working on aggression and putting away weaker returns. I'm sure those things would all benefit him, but just as an outside observer... is there anyway he could advance using his basic style of retrieving?

Speaking more in general for that type of player, not directed solely at the OP

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Sure, he can certainly get to that level with a pushing, blocking, lobbing, fishing sometimes attacking style.

A guy here in Sacramento has been at that level for DECADES doing just that.

OP would need a whole lot more consistency and touch and ability to bring it back 20 times in a rally though to play that way.

Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
Are there no lobbers or fishers at the 2200-2300 level? I've seen the OP's videos, and he seems to drop back by nature. Kind of a Jun Mitzutani, Michael Maze or "french" style of off the table retrieving. Most the advice listed here mainly pigeon-holes him into becoming a better attack, generally closer to the table. Working on aggression and putting away weaker returns. I'm sure those things would all benefit him, but just as an outside observer... is there anyway he could advance using his basic style of retrieving?

Speaking more in general for that type of player, not directed solely at the OP

any style is good if you can put 95%+ on the table...

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016
Sure, he can certainly get to that level with a pushing, blocking, lobbing, fishing sometimes attacking style.

OP would need a whole lot more consistency and touch and ability to bring it back 20 times in a rally though to play that way.

I think the OP has only been playing seriously for 2 years or less? Didn't he have the video of going to 2000 rating in a year?

Ol' JT? Yeah, he's a wizard to watch! Makes it exciting for spectators as well. I always liked to watch his matches. Does get a bit steamy at times though :p I think the biggest problem there, is you need HUGE venues for that style. The Adam Bobrow lobs and such, you've got to be way back -- often hopping over barriers still!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016
any style is good if you can put 95%+ on the table...

Yes... but the question is more along the line of, do you try to dissuade a player from their natural tendencies or do you coach them to utilize those proclivities? Assuming there is a viable style at that level for them. He gets criticized for 'giving up the table' and moving back too much, but he has done that in all the matches I've seen of him. So do you say, alright STOP THAT! Or, ok you like to play back so here's what you can do... etc.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
James ?

Reactions: Der_Echte
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
honestly OP can choose any style he wants, but he needs to understand why he wins or loses. Against the players of this level, when he goes away from the table he's easy to beat. I would think he would be more dangerous by staying in the table.
If he moves 2x faster, and gets more power from BH side, he could be more dangerous with his style

As Lula also said, I think his consistency also is not good enough to get to the next level. here and there a lot of unforced errors.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Yes... but the question is more along the line of, do you try to dissuade a player from their natural tendencies or do you coach them to utilize those proclivities? Assuming there is a viable style at that level for them. He gets criticized for 'giving up the table' and moving back too much, but he has done that in all the matches I've seen of him. So do you say, alright STOP THAT! Or, ok you like to play back so here's what you can do... etc.

I think he Will be destroyed by a Lot of good offensive players if he Tries to play a lobbing playingstyle. But i agree that We should try to follow your natural tensencies, What We are naturally good at. Maybe he can become a chopper if he wants to play so far from the table.

All good info here. One topic not discussed is the Club. If your club's best player is 1900 USATT, and no coach, you'll not progress.
I know where ToeKnee is and his club has higher level players. This may not be an issue for him.

But what if you club's top player is 1900. What do you do? Move to another city?

P.s. ToeKnee, you could drive 2-2.5 hrs to Richmond and see what I mean.

This user has no status.
All good info here. One topic not discussed is the Club. If your club's best player is 1900 USATT, and no coach, you'll not progress.
I know where ToeKnee is and his club has higher level players. This may not be an issue for him.

But what if you club's top player is 1900. What do you do? Move to another city?

P.s. ToeKnee, you could drive 2-2.5 hrs to Richmond and see what I mean.

What a excellent point!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I think it is way more important to have a good coach than good training partners. Can you not hire a coach for private sessions? Maybe do some multiball against players not as good as you? think that will be okay training to.

I also think that with todays technology that it must be easier nowdays than before to learn technique from the internet.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I think it is way more important to have a good coach than good training partners. Can you not hire a coach for private sessions? Maybe do some multiball against players not as good as you? think that will be okay training to.

I also think that with todays technology that it must be easier nowdays than before to learn technique from the internet.
Both are equally important. I know this in part because I have tried coaching players in different contexts and seen some of the limitations of things I recommended to them.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I think the OP has only been playing seriously for 2 years or less? Didn't he have the video of going to 2000 rating in a year?

Ol' JT? Yeah, he's a wizard to watch! Makes it exciting for spectators as well. I always liked to watch his matches. Does get a bit steamy at times though [emoji14] I think the biggest problem there, is you need HUGE venues for that style. The Adam Bobrow lobs and such, you've got to be way back -- often hopping over barriers still!
You know it.

You can really piss him smooth off if you are holding a conservation courtside.

JT is good folk. I play vs him maybe 2x a month.

He can make his impact look like something else. He has realized he needs more of a sudden close to table attack and has been working on doing that in matches to make people pay for playing too safe.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
honestly OP can choose any style he wants, but he needs to understand why he wins or loses. Against the players of this level, when he goes away from the table he's easy to beat. I would think he would be more dangerous by staying in the table.
If he moves 2x faster, and gets more power from BH side, he could be more dangerous with his style

As Lula also said, I think his consistency also is not good enough to get to the next level. here and there a lot of unforced errors.
Dude been playing 2 yrs and has better footwork and consistency than players doing it 10 yrs...

But yeah, he gotta get a ton more consistent to think of 2200... but why not?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk