Guestimate the Ratings

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
What Do you think? I am not from the US so it is hard to know. I think they miss pretty much, so can not be so high? But maybe Im wrong, since i Do not think the general level in US seems to be so high.

Then rate them, intermediate, advanced, master, or pro.

I don't think they are pro.
I would not rate them as "masters" too, as for me master amateurs are of pro level, but just not playing as pros.
So I would say they are "experienced".
Both have too much "all or nothing" in the blood.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Triple HAHAHA Dmitri is a very famous poster from MyTT forum and TTD. His thread on "Cool Siberian Girl" have been LEGEND.

He does not play in USA, so no rating. He has a unique play style that will be hard to peg down for rating as some players 1800-2000 may not be able to read his impact. I see many male players from Russia. I play TT every week in a Russian church here in California. A LOT of the Russian players aged 40-50 grew up playing a VERY FLAT bang-bang kind of game. Learning to topspin??? Who has time for that.

Many Russian players I see have a much different grip pressure that it looks. The balls that on a vid look real easy really are not. So you do not go over aggressive and safe... that is right up their alley to break out the SWAT Team and go on the hard, no-spin fast attack.

The two players in the OP's vid are well above USATT play level. Their style is different. You would think you could simply crush their long serve, but believe me you, you are not gunna read it right and piss away too many points, then they will murder you when you play it safe. Your return needs to be low and have underspin, then you can go off on the next ball. You need to be 2200 USATT to read their touch consistently and attack their first balls well.

I will say that if Dmitry were in USA, he would be 1-2 levels above average USA club level. 50 yr old Geezers in USA are the majority of USA club members and the center of mass for that group is 1400-1600 USATT.

Dmitry is in the red/blue in this vid...

Last edited:
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I agree with Lula, they give away too many points and flat hit way too often. They also miss a lot of serves. They are playing at speeds beyond their ability or poor shot selection. Every shot had to be a winner.
~1400

BB, these guys will crush a 1400 level USATT and make them wanna cry. 1400 level player would try to go apeshyt on the long serves and land only 1 or 2 out of 10... then push high, and get plastered.

The reason these guys go for so much is that both players will absolutely crush kill a ball that is a couple inches too high. They never really learned much short touch or how to push effectively... so they work with what they got.

They don't look like much on a vid, but you face them in action it is a whole new world. You serve short under low/tight you won't get flipped, but you might have trouble reading their push. They grip the bat different and you gotta adjust or miss your attacks. They serve what looks like top, it might not be and you miss your attack. You push the serve of what you think is light top, then it is dead and you popped it up for their skull drug smash.

You never ran into players whose touch gave you a fit? Both these guys are of that mold. If they were in California, the better of the two (the one with hair) would be close to 1900 USATT on average. They would crush certain kids and get crushed by some others. They would defeat most 1800-1900 adult California players, most, but not all. If you do not play this kind of player regularly, your instincts are gunna be SO WRONG and you miss points and wonder how it happened that you could miss such easy long balls, but in reality, you were not reading the ball properly and teed off on a ball you were wrong about.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Okey! You play tabletennis in an russian Church? Haha

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Okey! You play tabletennis in an russian Church? Haha

Yup. They play every Friday night, setup 4 tables in a multi-purpose room, play 30 minutes, have a quick study, pizza, then a few hrs of TT.

There are several good reasons why.

#1 reason for many players is it is free, no money involved. This is an outreach program.

#2 reason is there are many good players who show up

#3 reason is a lot of us are friends and playing TT with friends is real good deal.

#4 reason for me is I get to play vs the kind of player in the vid. It is valuable experience.

I truly believe one should play vs the maximum number of players and styles possible to build realistic tournament tough experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lula
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Der Echte in the video you posted above 07 10 2018 1 the guy Dmitriy, he is about an 1800 level. They have Sunday club tournaments in Siberia. If 12 players show up, Dmitriy would finish 9 10 11 or 12. The 2 players featured usually finish 1 2 3 or 4.

On Nov 25 2018 they had 17 players, Dmitriy was 12, the guys featured were 1 and 2. Dmitriy can't get 5 points on those guys if they are trying to beat him the worst.

Last edited:
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Anyone who has been watching Dmitri's vids on TTD and MyTT knows some of the lady pips players there are solid 2200+ USATT level players. You gotta be in the neighborhood of that level to compete vs them, you see a lot of these guys in Dmitri's vids playing the ladies, mostly losing, some competing.

My point I made (and I suspect the point you wanted to reveal after some discussion) is that these players do not look like much in the vid, but play at a way higher level than they look.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Dmitri would be 1500-1600 where I play at... Near Bay Area of California. In the Washington DC area, he would be 1700-1800.

Sacramento has a LOT of Russians who migrated here from way back in the day. Almost all of these Russians that I have met (except for the O60 crowd) are more American than me or have more time in America than I have, because I spent almost 2/3 of my adult life away from USA.

There is a pastor named Roman, who plays an almost zero topspin game banging the ball. You give him higher dead ball or a higher medium or less topspin ball and he will crush it FH or BH. You give him a low underspin ball and he will not topspin it... he never spent the time to learn how to BH or FH loop an underspin ball. All his life he opened the blade and pounded the ball. It might be they had bad rubber way back in the day and that was the only way to play - BANG BANG no spin.

Roman would maybe be 1500 Bay Area USATT level. When he plays vs his older brother Nicholi, he looks a LOT better as they get into and maintain those high speed bang it low spin shots forever on either wing.

His Brother Nicholi, would be 1900 USATT Bay Area. Nicholi moves like crazy well, even at mid 50s age. He is never out of position. Nicholi can crush any ball even a little high if it isn't underspin or extreme heavy topspin. Nicholi serves long always, looks like top, but often ball has different spin. You will nearly always be off time, he grip it different, ball comes in slower or shorter than it looks. This will make you look real silly trying to all out attack or even control attack it, ball is always different than it looks and a vid will never show it... except where a known player attacks and misses a lot - that is a sign. Many forum members will not catch that sign.

Nicholi will do a soft roll vs a long underspin. it is SO TEMPTING to try to tee off and crush that return... until you miss it a lot and wonder why. The ball never has what you think it does. You need to give it to him low and dead or low and very heavy under... sometimes that is tough to do. he will be there to pound your mistake. You make a good drive or loop wide, Nicholi retrieves it... you never expect ball to land... then it does, you tap it back and BANG, he came back and plastered it. Drive it by him? Almost nothing gets by him.

This is a small sample of how he plays. If you record a vid of Nicholi serving, you would think his serve is 600 USATT, but since 2000+ players fail to consistently land an attack vs his serve, that serve is actually 2000+ level serve. You record a vid of his non-existent topspin stroke, you would think he is USATT 1000. No problem, everyone can think what they want... but I guarantee you, if you do not play that guy right, he will FH or BH crush you on your mistakes and you will make mistake after mistake trying to attack balls you never really read correctly.

It seems a lot of the players from Dmitri's club play like this.

On a vid, it can be tough to know their true level. It is easier to know if they play vs players you know.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
I agree with Lula, they give away too many points and flat hit way too often. They also miss a lot of serves. They are playing at speeds beyond their ability or poor shot selection. Every shot had to be a winner.
~1400

People at 1400 do not have their serves, topspin, short game or footwork.

Around 2100

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
They don't look like much on a vid,
That is what we were asked to rate on. They were giving away points. The bald guy was way too slap happy.
I saw no effort to setup for the next shot. I saw little effort at placement. No elbow shots. Footwork? What footwork? The balls were going to fast or in the net or off the table to move much. There was one potentially nice rally in the 3rd or 4th game but the ball hit the net.

I have played good players. My last coach ~2500. I know how they will attack high or long balls.

If you think they are better then OK but what would happen if these guys played against a style they haven't seen? Would they give away points left and right?

BTW, the second video is more like it. Dmitri and his opponent are not trying to kill every ball. The pace is more reasonable. There are long rallies and foot work is required.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Hahaha, the vid with just Dmitri... other guy is babying Dmitri.

The good lady players in Dmitris vids also baby him and allow him chances to attack.

Dmitri might have some shot a bit hard to see coming, but at that club, they are used to his shots and play style. He doesn't threaten players with his game, so they can afford to go lax.

The better players at that club... you leave a ball an inch too high and it is over. They will pound the like button.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
Not that our club is that great but these guys would not be allowed to join anything but the once-a-week beginners group and told to get private coaching.
But then, it's hardly fair cuz their fairly old guys.
Life ain't fair I guess.

Man, I'm sad thinking about it already, thinking of how I'll have to find a club in the netherlands soon.

Last edited: