Guestimate the Ratings

says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
Lightzy, I need to get you in a match with just Nicholi and you would never believe the shots you miss that look like they come from a 1000 level player.
If those guys play even a 1800 East Coast player they will win 11-5 easily.

I will certainly never believe it though it certainly may be true.
But man, I take back my previous statement in any case.
If you can't say something nice often better not say anything at all.. Certainly in this case, with such happy dudes enjoying their game, having a ball. TT at that level really shouldn't be about whose better or worse but about having fun. For me too, I guess, and for anyone not aiming at world rankings.
Life's short.
Also just to make clear, I wasn't ridiculing them by saying that they look like beginners. There's nothing wrong with that. It's just how it seems.

Main coach here has very clear rules on who can come out of the beginners group (before that you have to get private coaching, and though everyone knows he has his personal coaches he recommends and takes cuts from, it being a bit of a hussle, it ultimately is for everyone's benefit so whatever):
You have to be able to put 50 consecutive topspins on the table, both backhand and forehand.
You have to be be able to block 50 topspins on the table with aim.
You have to be able to topspin 4 out of 5 long pushes.

It's not that there are tests per se but those are the general guidelines for who gets promoted to the advanced group and can join ranklist.
Reason being, many in the group will not want to train with you in the advanced groups if you can't do the basics properly and steadily and they'll get pissed if paired with you cuz you'll be ruining their practice and then they'll complain to the coach etc etc.
Assholes if you ask me but sometimes it happens that I come to practice and get paired with a bit of a beginner and even though I know I'm being an asshole I just get angry all the same.
Depends on what kinda day it was at work and if there's competitions coming up etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Der_Echte
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Lightzy,

I fully understand you were no belittling anyone but only expressing your opinion of play level.

No need to take back anything.

Good insight on your club.

Koreans have a top secret coaching manual and it is like your club, but hundreds in a row.

The coaches moved me along as my fh to fh no spin is a train wreck, but my heavy topspin was better than their top div 1 players.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Lightzy
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Hahaha, the vid with just Dmitri... other guy is babying Dmitri.
Yes, that it obvious which is why I still think Dmitri is about 1400. At least the other guy is not giving away points. He is letting Dmitri beat himself.

I thought the bald guy in the first video lost to Dmitri by giving way points.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
The first time I saw Nicholi play, I thought I would easily dominate the match... I thought all his long balls were gunna get killed.

Once I tried to attack and miss, or play safe and misread/pop up the ball, I got punished like Rammstein was belting out BESTRAFFE MICH.

Every match I play vs Nicholi is akin to animal fighting. Nothing is easy, you gotta fight vs him.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
What lightzy discusses about different levels of training going on same place same time is real.

Ideally, we as players have understanding and a reasonable level of understanding tolerance for differences.

Sometimes we gotta get a minimal amount done and training with a newb is not gunna cut it.

Still, if we show too much an attitude, the newb will not like it and never show up again. That doesn't help a club grow.

It can be tough to find a balance between helping out and taking care of self. Sometimes I have the wrong balance too.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
I dont recall in the original vid the bald guy playing Dmitri... but I am sure they all play each other and Dmitri has a vid... bless him... that guy makes and posts vids of everything every week that club does.

To clarify - Dmitry Raspopin is NOT playing in the original video (but someone posted his play later on). His name was in the post because he most likely filmed it. His rating is quite a bit lower than these two dudes, I suspect.

No way in hell these guys are USATT 1400...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2016
Read 1 reviews
To clarify - Dmitry Raspopin is NOT playing in the original video (but someone posted his play later on). His name was in the post because he most likely filmed it. His rating is quite a bit lower than these two dudes, I suspect.

No way in hell these guys are USATT 1400...

Are you saying that they should be higher or lower than 1400?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Even Dmitri, pretty much among the lowest players at that club is way better than usatt1400. Even in Bay Area he would defeat 1400 level players.

The guys in the original vid are 2000 Bay area class give or take some.

No way. My last coach was Guo Hao. He beat Wang Jinxin in the Seattle open. Wang Jinxin had just won the US open a couple of months earlier. Hao was about 2500 USATT. Sometimes better and other times worse depending on his back. I know what playing games against a very good player is like. Those guys in the original video give away too many points. These guys were not playing smart. It makes no sense to give away points with reckless shots.

Now for some education about probabilities. You always need to be mindful of your shot selection. I often try shots that were really stupid because they were low percentage shots. I know this.

If the other guys has a shot that looks good but he makes less than 50% of them then let him try. He will end up giving you point on the average. If the other guys only makes 2/3 of his shots then you only need to return 1/2 to break even or a little better than 1/2 to be ahead. if the other guy can make 3/4 of his shots then you must step up you game and return 2/3 or better. There is a pattern. If the other guys makes n/(n+1) then you need to make (n-1)/n to break even.

The guys in the video were playing stupid and just blasting balls. There is no way you will convince me they are even average club level players. I would just counter hit or block them down.

I do agree that Dmitri is not that good.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
The guys in the video were playing stupid and just blasting balls. There is no way you will convince me they are even average club level players. I would just counter hit or block them down.

I do agree that Dmitri is not that good.

Ha ha, the video was very misleading. I don't know what those guys were thinking or doing during that match. The 2 guys are in the top 10 players for that region of Siberia.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
The video is not misleading at all - it really comes down to what you are looking for and which points you use to estimate the players. In my view, both players are easily over 2200. THey are clearly doing or trying to do things that players below that level don't do. They are very familiar with each other, but don't play each other often (as in don't train with each other).

EDIT: Also, the younger player is stronger and improving. So there is a widening gap.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Ha ha, the video was very misleading. I don't know what those guys were thinking or doing during that match. The 2 guys are in the top 10 players for that region of Siberia.
Good player do no give away points like that.

There was a video a long time ago about the criss-cross blocker. I have more respect for him than the two yokels in the first video. Good players do not make those kinds of mistakes. Especially that often.