• Join our newsletter: 
  • Welcome Guest

Poll: Who do you think will win the World Tour Grand Finals 2018?

Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    1. Top | #281
      says CHOLE!

Senior TTD Member Country: Russian Federation
      Equipment:
      Blade Yinhe/Galaxy W-6
      Forehand Rubber BH Sanwei T-88 Taiji
      Backhand Rubber FH 729 Battle II

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 1,059 Times in 471 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by NextLevel View Post
      Here is my crazy theory - Mima Ito has given He Zhuoja more opportunity as she is probably the Mima Ito clone.
      do people legit believe in Evil Communist China, where they breed special table tennis people to copy other players? So an actual person with their whole life of hopes and dreams are sacrificed in an attempt to mimic someone else and thus strengthen the main team? That's just beyond ridiculous. I remember Li Xiaoxia playing against a male opponent in preparation for Rio 2016 because his style resembled that of her likely opponent. That's about how far it goes, this whole "they clone rivals to study them" myth. I especially like how people view CNT as being too methodical, perhaps even unimaginative in their training, the idea of them "studying their opponents by watching videos of them" is often brought up. Well duh, if you don't study your opposition, you're a bad coach/player, CNT or not. Meanwhile, no one says anything when Mima's coach shows up with like 900 pages manuscript detailing the tactics and statistics. Quit this bullshit, people.
      the commentator lists Grand Slam winners, calls JOW John Oev Wellner, LGL Louis Goodland (not kidding)

2. The Following 5 Users Like Atas Newton's Post:

akoozab (12-16-2018),RidTheKid (12-15-2018),Takkyu_wa_inochi (12-15-2018),Tony's Table Tennis (12-18-2018),yoass (12-15-2018)

3. Top | #282
      This user has no status.

TTD Member Country: Denmark

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
      Is it a disadvantage for Calderano and Mizutani to be playing 2 matches in one day with only 3-4 hours break(I think). Calderano lost 0-4 and Mizutani is behind 0-3

4. The Following 2 Users Like diavolo's Post:

Takkyu_wa_inochi (12-15-2018),v100ev (12-15-2018)

5. Top | #283
      says Hi

Elite TTD Member Country: Nauru

Equipment:
      Blade Butterfly Timo Boll ALC
      Forehand Rubber Xiom Omega V Asia
      Backhand Rubber Xiom Omega V Asia

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 615 Times in 382 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by yoass View Post
      Just let go of that us vs them mentality already. The very notions of race and nations are delusional ones, ruthlessly exploited in machiavellan ways to create artificial conflict and to take advantage of the strife that ensues as enraged factions mobilize against one another.

Don’t embrace these notions created to manipulate you. Free yourself of them, and then seek joy in the merit of achievement rather then glee over the humiliation of The Enemy.

For all practical purposes, there’s no such thing as China. There are just people playing.
      Quote Originally Posted by RidTheKid View Post
      I've been here my friend, watching since the 80's China is certainly the greatest TT nation, and by a huge margin. I'm Swedish but I never root for a Swede in these tournaments because I don't like their playing style. Back when JO played it was a different situation. I'm more passionate about great TT than being a patriot.
      Guys you try to see more than there's to it. The China vs the Rest of the World rivalry has a long tradition - in a positive way. Don't CNT players perceive World Tour events sort of the same way, like "loosing to other CNT member is ok, but against the foreigner is not so much"?

We are talking about a very specific Table Tennis world, and there are nuances to be recognized.

6. The Following 4 Users Like jawien's Post:

NextLevel (12-15-2018),PatriciaPinheiro (12-15-2018),shinshiro (12-15-2018),Takkyu_wa_inochi (12-15-2018)

7. Top | #284
      says CHOLE!

Equipment:
      Blade Yinhe/Galaxy W-6

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Mizutani also clearly tilted after those let calls. Ideally, if the receiving player doesn't object, ref shouldn't even make the call. The rules are a bit too strict there.

8. Top | #285
      This user has no status.

Master TTD Member Country: Sweden

Equipment:
      Blade DHS W968
      Forehand Rubber DHS Hurricane 3 NEO National
      Backhand Rubber DHS Hurricane 3 NEO National (Blue Sponge)

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 1,074 Times in 590 Posts
      Yes but you don't see chinese fans here write "YES!!!!! LGY!!!! Another japanese is out! Just one japanese left!!!!"

The chinese are incredibly humble both in success and in defeat.

Quote Originally Posted by jawien View Post
      Guys you try to see more than there's to it. The China vs the Rest of the World rivalry has a long tradition - in a positive way. Don't CNT players perceive World Tour events sort of the same way, like "loosing to other CNT member is ok, but against the foreigner is not so much"?

We are talking about a very specific Table Tennis world, and there are nuances to be recognized.

9. The Following User Likes RidTheKid's Post:

Atas Newton (12-15-2018)

10. Top | #286
      says feijoada

Advanced TTD Member Country: Brazil

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 161 Times in 88 Posts

I was thinking about it, and in many interviews players talk about this China, Europeans, Japanese, rest of the world stuff and we're all fine with, I honestly don't see a problem, specially cause when CNT (players) talk, many times we see it being about the pride of China, not the proud of ML or DN. So why don't fans can't be the same? I see players as individuals as much as a country representatives, and well sometimes I just want to see things buuurn for the fun of randomness

Enviado de meu SM-J510FN usando o Tapatalk

11. The Following 2 Users Like PatriciaPinheiro's Post:

jawien (12-15-2018),NextLevel (12-15-2018)

12. Top | #287
      says Hi

Equipment:

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Yes but you don't see chinese fans here write "YES!!!!! LGY!!!! Another japanese is out! Just one japanese left!!!!"

Maybe because Japan (with all due respect) hasn't been a Goliath for the past decades ...

13. The Following 5 Users Like jawien's Post:

Danny21312 (12-15-2018),NextLevel (12-15-2018),PatriciaPinheiro (12-15-2018),shinshiro (12-15-2018),v100ev (12-15-2018)

14. Top | #288
      This user has no status.

Master TTD Member Country: Nigeria

Equipment:
      Blade Stiga Carbonado 190
      Forehand Rubber Tibhar MX-K
      Backhand Rubber Tibhar MX-K

Reviews
      Read 16 Reviews
      Liked 12,492 Times in 5,518 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by Atas Newton View Post
      do people legit believe in Evil Communist China, where they breed special table tennis people to copy other players? So an actual person with their whole life of hopes and dreams are sacrificed in an attempt to mimic someone else and thus strengthen the main team? That's just beyond ridiculous. I remember Li Xiaoxia playing against a male opponent in preparation for Rio 2016 because his style resembled that of her likely opponent. That's about how far it goes, this whole "they clone rivals to study them" myth. I especially like how people view CNT as being too methodical, perhaps even unimaginative in their training, the idea of them "studying their opponents by watching videos of them" is often brought up. Well duh, if you don't study your opposition, you're a bad coach/player, CNT or not. Meanwhile, no one says anything when Mima's coach shows up with like 900 pages manuscript detailing the tactics and statistics. Quit this bullshit, people.

This is a funny post. If I call Hao Shuai "the Timo Boll clone", does that mean Hao Shuai was raised and bred and gave up his whole life to play like Timo Boll in order to support the main team?

Since you described what the "cloning" process is like, where a player simply mimics an opponent, it makes sense that He Zhuoja has now been practicing more against first team players if she is the practice partner that mimics Ito's style.

I do realize though that the best way to start an argument is to pretend that other people are saying stupid things.
      Cobra Kai TT Exponent - No mercy in this dojo, no matter your rating or the score. All spin, no power or footwork.

15. Top | #289
      says modestly attempting kōhaiship
      of Jeul-Tak

Master TTD Member Country: Netherlands
      Equipment:
      Blade Vanity II (D.A.b Studio Custom)
      Forehand Rubber DHS Gold Arc 8/50
      Backhand Rubber Nittaku Fastarc G-1

Reviews
      Read 6 Reviews
      Liked 2,018 Times in 1,076 Posts

World Tour Grand Finals 2018

The China vs the Rest of the World rivalry has a long tradition - in a positive way.
      As I said before, don’t just naively keep embracing the dichotomies and enmities bestowed upon you. You’re being played and exploited through them. Don’t be that tool.
      Last edited by yoass; 12-15-2018 at 02:07 PM.

16. Top | #290
      This user has no status.

Equipment:

Reviews
      Read 16 Reviews

It's really funny how far some people will go to pretend that the world is not a certain way.

17. The Following 2 Users Like NextLevel's Post:

Danny21312 (12-15-2018),shinshiro (12-15-2018)

18. Top | #291
      says CHOLE!

Equipment:
      Blade Yinhe/Galaxy W-6

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Lin Gaoyuan wins the right to get destroyed by Harimoto tomorrow :-)

19. The Following 3 Users Like Atas Newton's Post:

jawien (12-15-2018),Takkyu_wa_inochi (12-15-2018),zeio (12-15-2018)

20. Top | #292
      This user has no status.

Equipment:

Reviews
      Read 16 Reviews
      Quote Originally Posted by yoass View Post
      As I said before, don’t just naively keep embracing the dichotomies and enmities bestowed upon you. You’re being played and exploited through them. Don’t be that tool.
      No one is being played and exploited. We are all intelligent teens/adults who know how to think. We come here to have fun. Soccer teams have fans. Players have fans. National teams have fans. Corporations have fans. No one is naively embracing anything just because they do not agree with you.

21. The Following 5 Users Like NextLevel's Post:

Danny21312 (12-15-2018),jawien (12-15-2018),PatriciaPinheiro (12-15-2018),shinshiro (12-15-2018),yoass (12-15-2018)

22. Top | #293
      This user has no status.

Equipment:
      Blade DHS W968

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      And still we have as many japanese as chinese left in the male part of this event

Maybe because Japan (with all due respect) hasn't been a Goliath for the past decades ...

23. Top | #294
      This user has no status.

Equipment:

Reviews
      Read 16 Reviews
      Quote Originally Posted by Atas Newton View Post

The first thing is that it is not a myth:

http://www.masatenisi.org/english/secrets.htm

The second thing is that it is no different from having someone play a certain style so that you can practice against it, which you have pointed out. What I don't get is that I would never pretend you are an idiot when discussing table tennis. Why are you pretending I am?

24. The Following 2 Users Like NextLevel's Post:

Ioiettino (12-15-2018),shinshiro (12-15-2018)

25. Top | #295
      This user has no status.

Equipment:
      Blade DHS W968

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Wrong. I know what kind of world I want to live in. Are you of the opinion that you think dividing people is a good idea? Then move along.

It's really funny how far some people will go to pretend that the world is not a certain way.

26. Top | #296
      says CHOLE!

Equipment:
      Blade Yinhe/Galaxy W-6

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      This is a funny post. If I call Hao Shuai "the Timo Boll clone", does that mean Hao Shuai was raised and bred and gave up his whole life to play like Timo Boll in order to support the main team?

Since you described what the "cloning" process is like, where a player simply mimics an opponent, it makes sense that He Zhuoja has now been practicing more against first team players if she is the practice partner that mimics Ito's style.

I do realize though that the best way to start an argument is to pretend that other people are saying stupid things.
      not true. I think it's clear from the way I worded it that I used a hyperbole to describe your position. Obviously, they don't "breed" no one. Your quite mild suggestion that someone adjustst their game to copy someone - that's what I'm calling you out on. Because when you look into details it becomes evident that you're far better off training against someone using their "native" style so to speak, than against someone pretending to be someone else. You know as well as I do, as a table tennis player, that you don't choose the style - the style chooses you. Try forcing a change and you're a couple tiers below your true level. What good are such practice partners? Besides, I don't even agree that He Zhuojia plays Ito's game. She's happy to initiate and maintain top-spin rallies where Mima goes for the kill.

27. The Following User Likes Atas Newton's Post:

Tony's Table Tennis (12-18-2018)

28. Top | #297
      This user has no status.

Equipment:

Reviews
      Read 16 Reviews
      Quote Originally Posted by PatriciaPinheiro View Post
      I was thinking about it, and in many interviews players talk about this China, Europeans, Japanese, rest of the world stuff and we're all fine with, I honestly don't see a problem, specially cause when CNT (players) talk, many times we see it being about the pride of China, not the proud of ML or DN. So why don't fans can't be the same? I see players as individuals as much as a country representatives, and well sometimes I just want to see things buuurn for the fun of randomness

Enviado de meu SM-J510FN usando o Tapatalk

IT's called "The Modern Denial of Human Nature".

29. Top | #298
      says Hi

Equipment:

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      And still we have as many japanese as chinese left in the male part of this event
      Oh well the Goliaths loose sometimes too ... don't they ...

30. Top | #299
      This user has no status.

Equipment:
      Blade DHS W968

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Once upon a time we walked on our knuckles.

IT's called "The Modern Denial of Human Nature".

31. Top | #300
      This user has no status.

Equipment:
      Blade DHS W968

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      If you believe in what the Bible tells you

Oh well the Goliaths loose sometimes too ... don't they ...

32. The Following User Likes RidTheKid's Post:

jawien (12-15-2018)