Who do you think will win the World Tour Grand Finals 2018?

• Xu Xin

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • Fan Zhendong

Votes: 40 39.2%
  • Ma Long

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • Liang Jingkun

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • Tomokazu Harimoto

Votes: 10 9.8%
  • Jang Woojin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lin Gaoyuan

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • Hugo Calderano

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Jun Mizutani

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post Below)

Votes: 2 2.0%

• Total voters
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
After the game, Mima Ito said frankly: "The opponents are progressing very fast, and I still have a lot of deficiencies. Some chances are not grasped by the ball, and they are very reluctant." As for what else needs to be improved? She wiped her tears, and this time she was very modest: "All places need it, including psychology and technology. What I want to do most now is to go back to my very good state."

Interesting that she should mention psychology. She appears stone-cold on court, at least when the point's about to start. Just brushes the frustration away. Or so it appears. Also what CNT members mentioned after losing to her: goes for the ball at 17-17 and 0-0 alike. Then the game ends and she's in tears. She's a strong girl. Plz don't cry Mima :-(

Reactions: PatriciaPinheiro
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018

Tidbit: Sina Sports asked her "any difference in how you prepared for Ito versus other players? Any insights?"

"Every round is difficult. Every match deserves the utmost attention, but for this one I was prepared for the difficulty. I've watched her match videos several times, which is a must. I have also read some articles, and even more interviews. Other people usually don't bother with the interviews. I've read some Chinese news, because I need to understand how she thinks!"

Reactions: anchorschmidt
Jan 2018
Not that they stand a real chance but SATO and SHIBATA are playing against ZHU and DING tomorrow

though SATO did give a very hard time to ZYL last time (held matchpoint ! and missed a penalty !!!) , but this time will be much harder, ZHU should be much better prepared.

----

Mima was very disappointing against CHENG I-Ching but it looks it was a mental problem today. One could see her body language was not good at all, even when she won the 6th. She was making a lot of unusual mistakes.

I think you meant Hashimoto. Sato's record looks better but as history has demonstrated, H2H is worthless whenever you look it up.

Ito has been playing erratically in the XD and WD. She couldn't connect her strokes. If it weren't for Hayata...

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
Jan 2018
Interesting that she should mention psychology. She appears stone-cold on court, at least when the point's about to start. Just brushes the frustration away. Or so it appears. Also what CNT members mentioned after losing to her: goes for the ball at 17-17 and 0-0 alike. Then the game ends and she's in tears. She's a strong girl. Plz don't cry Mima :-(

From hunting to being hunted, perhaps? Though the one she is entering right now is on a totally different scale compared to the one after Rio 2016, Hirano-scale.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Don't over react to the Mima Ito loss to Cheng.

Some of her great run recently of wins have been from come behind games and matches that made people shake their heads in amazement.

So she finally lost one of them fights. It happens to everyone. She is only 18.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Ito-hype train on pause for now - no point in beating the Chinese if you can't beat Hong Kong and Taipei.

Cheng is a top 5 womens player
she had a bad year, but otherwise she is a top 5/top 10 player and has been for a while
a top 10 loosing to another top 10 is pretty normal

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
When was the last time Cheng beat someone on the CNT?

I'm not sure when last Cheng beat a top CNT player, but i'm sure she has beaten lots of the 2nd tier CNT players.
As I said, she had a bad year from what I heard. Why don't you ask your American player/coach, Jiaqi who is now Cheng's coach for the stats?
Regardless of this year, she has been top 10 or top 5 way longer than Ito

Remember, Cheng has been on China's study list way before Ito came to the party
Give it another year or two, you will ask me, When is the last time Ito beat someone on the CNT too

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I'm not sure when last Cheng beat a top CNT player, but i'm sure she has beaten lots of the 2nd tier CNT players.
As I said, she had a bad year from what I heard. Why don't you ask your American player/coach, Jiaqi who is now Cheng's coach for the stats?
Regardless of this year, she has been top 10 or top 5 way longer than Ito

Remember, Cheng has been on China's study list way before Ito came to the party
Give it another year or two, you will ask me, When is the last time Ito beat someone on the CNT too
She has not been in the top 10 or 5 way longer than Ito. I am not sure how what I said upset you but there is no need to invent facts to make bad points. It is easy to Google and check the ITTG ranking and see that Ito has been closer to the top far longer, remember that Ito plaued 2016 Olympics for Japan based on her ranking.

Hoi Doo Kem also beat Ito so I don't even care about Cheng's ranking or whether she had a bad year but Cheng has never done the kinds of things Ito and Hirano have.vs CNT. Even Ishikawa hasn't. Nothing to be ashamed of.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
The last she beat a Chinese player in singles was in German open ;

2018 - World Tour, German Open, Bremen (GER)SUN Yingsha (CHN)()CHENG I-Ching (TPE)()Women's Singles824CHENG I-Ching
2018 - World Tour, German Open, Bremen (GER)WEN Jia (CHN)()CHENG I-Ching (TPE)()Women's Singles1604CHENG I-Ching

She has not been in the top 10 or 5 way longer than Ito. I am not sure how what I said upset you but there is no need to invent facts to make bad points. It is easy to Google and check the ITTG ranking and see that Ito has been closer to the top far longer, remember that Ito plaued 2016 Olympics for Japan based on her ranking.

Hoi Doo Kem also beat Ito so I don't even care about Cheng's ranking or whether she had a bad year but Cheng has never done the kinds of things Ito and Hirano have.vs CNT. Even Ishikawa hasn't. Nothing to be ashamed of.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews

I don't really follow rankings, and maybe I am wrong about the WR length, but i'm not upset that I need to invent the fact that Cheng is a good enough of player to feature in top 10 and good enough to beat top 10 players, and this includes beating Ito. What surprise is this? or where does the train stop for loosing to someone in the same level/range is Ito?
Ito is not invincible, same as Harimoto or Dima loosing against another top 10 or 20 player

This fact also has nothing to do with how many wins Cheng has against China or Ito has against China.
So based on your theory, because Cheng didn't beat much Chinese this year, makes her not able to beat other Top 10 players that are not Chinese?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews

2018 - World Tour, German Open, Bremen (GER)SUN Yingsha (CHN)()CHENG I-Ching (TPE)()Women's Singles824CHENG I-Ching
2018 - World Tour, German Open, Bremen (GER)WEN Jia (CHN)()CHENG I-Ching (TPE)()Women's Singles1604CHENG I-Ching

Maybe injury hold her back and not just form, or maybe both

36311189_1563507947092075_697205215140511744_n.jpg36943757_1584724911637045_5829441798124077056_n.jpg
I know between May to July, Cheng made few trips to the hospitals

Last edited:
Reactions: Atas Newton
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Also I don't have anything against anybody but I think she could do with a better coach who has more experience at the international level ... not throwing shade at her current coach just for the record

Jiaqi is more her practice partner really.
Cheng, if I recall, 1-2 years back got additional funding from the Government for making it into top 10 she now has funding to get a trainer and medical staff to tour with her.
Other than that, her coach is her sister,
So the 4 of them go on tour together

Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I don't really follow rankings, and maybe I am wrong about the WR length, but i'm not upset that I need to invent the fact that Cheng is a good enough of player to feature in top 10 and good enough to beat top 10 players, and this includes beating Ito. What surprise is this? or where does the train stop for loosing to someone in the same level/range is Ito?
Ito is not invincible, same as Harimoto or Dima loosing against another top 10 or 20 player

This fact also has nothing to do with how many wins Cheng has against China or Ito has against China.
So based on your theory, because Cheng didn't beat much Chinese this year, makes her not able to beat other Top 10 players that are not Chinese?

Of course she is a good enough player. So was Hoi Doo Kem. But Cheng doesn't have the achievements that Ito has. Let's stop confusing them. When Hirano played Cheng at World Cup in 2016 in Philly, it was ugly to watch.

Cheng is a very good player. Special footwork and forehand
Much improved backhand. But she just beat the greatest challenger to the Chinese. If ito beat Cheng 4-3, would Cheng be crying as if she didn't play her best? Hopefully Cheng will beat Ding Ning so we can see what her normal level is like since she is top 10 like Ito and it is a normal result.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews

Now the excuse is injury but the truth is that Cheng is actually improving injury or no injury. But acting like Cheng beating Ito is not an upset is pretty ridiculous but Tony, who I usually respect, is trying to play it cool.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Now the excuse is injury but the truth is that Cheng is actually improving injury or no injury. But acting like Cheng beating Ito is not an upset is pretty ridiculous but Tony, who I usually respect, is trying to play it cool.

lets use stats to talk, since you think it is ridiculous of me to think Cheng can beat Ito

head to head.jpg

After today, its 3 wins to Ito and 2 to Cheng
based on game score, its 15 to Ito and 12 to Cheng

ooooooh its such a big upset for world rank 8 beating a world rank 7..... (I just had to go and check the latest ranking to make sure I use facts)

Injury is not an excuse, maybe you don't know Jiaqi that well. I also don't. I only met Jiaqi a few times, all in the presence of Cheng.
But I know Cheng's club coach - Wu Wen Jia quite well, I also know Cheng's national training centre coach Hsu Long Chang.
You can choose to believe me or choose to think i'm ridiculous based on my judgements, I don't mind.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Tony you really want to argue your point by pulling out wins from 2013 ? We know Mima Ito hit another level last year ...
lets use stats to talk, since you think it is ridiculous of me to think Cheng can beat Ito

View attachment 18040

After today, its 3 wins to Ito and 2 to Cheng
based on game score, its 15 to Ito and 12 to Cheng

ooooooh its such a big upset for world rank 8 beating a world rank 7..... (I just had to go and check the latest ranking to make sure I use facts)

Injury is not an excuse, maybe you don't know Jiaqi that well. I also don't. I only met Jiaqi a few times, all in the presence of Cheng.
But I know Cheng's club coach - Wu Wen Jia quite well, I also know Cheng's national training centre coach Hsu Long Chang.
You can choose to believe me or choose to think i'm ridiculous based on my judgements, I don't mind.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
Results from Day 1 (Thu 13 December 2018):

Men's Singles

Round of 16:

[1] Xu Xin 4:1 Wong Chun Ting [12] (11:6, 9:11, 11:3, 11:8, 11:7)
[6] Lin Gaoyuan 4:2 Lee Sangsu [11] (11:7, 9:11, 11:8, 11:9, 7:11, 16:14)

[8] Jun Mizutani vs Liu Dingshuo [13]
[15] Timo Boll vs Liang Jingkun [3]

[4] Tomokazu Harimoto 4:1 Patrick Franziska [9] (11:7, 10:12, 11:8, 11:7, 11:7)
[5] Jang Woojin 4:0 Lim Jonghoon [10] (11:5, 11:3, 11:6, 11:5)

[7] Hugo Calderano vs Yuya Oshima [16]
[14] Koki Niwa vs Fan Zhendong [2]

Women's Singles

Round of 16:

[1] Wang Manyu 4:1 Feng Tianwei [15] (11:3, 10:12, 11:6, 11:6, 11:5)
[6] Chen Meng 4:3 Chen Xingtong [10] (11:7, 9:11, 11:7, 11:6, 8:11, 9:11, 11:5)

[7] Zhu Yuling vs Hitomi Sato [11]
[14] Sun Yingsha vs Liu Shiwen [3]

[9] Cheng I-Ching 4:3 Mima Ito [4] (11:9, 3:11, 11:7, 6:11, 8:11, 11:8, 11:7)
[16] Saki Shibata vs Ding Ning [5]

[8] Suh Hyowon vs He Zhuojia [12]
[2] Kasumi Ishikawa 4:1 Miu Hirano [13] (11:6, 11:3, 9:11, 11:8, 11:7)

Men's Doubles

Quarter-finals:

[1] Jeoung Youngsik/Lee Sangsu 3:0 Lam Siu Hang/Ng Pak Nam [7] (11:7, 11:7, 11:3)
[5] Jang Woojin/Lim Jonghoon 3:0 Liao Cheng-Ting/Lin Yun-Ju [4] (11:9, 11:1, 11:9)

[3] Ho Kwan Kit/Wong Chun Ting 3:1 Chen Chien-An/Chuang Chih-Yuan [6] (11:2, 11:2, 8:11, 11:9)
[2] Masataka Morizono/Yuya Oshima 3:0 Nandor Ecseki/Adam Szudi [8] (11:5, 11:8, 11:5)

Women's Doubles

Quarter-finals:

[1] Hina Hayata/Mima Ito 3:0 Liu Gaoyang/Zhang Rui [5] (11:6, 11:9, 11:9)
[3] Jeon Jihee/Yang Haeun 3:1 Doo Hoi Kem/Lee Ho Ching [6] (7:11, 11:9, 11:4, 11:9)

[4] Chen Ke/Wang Manyu 3:0 Honoka Hashimoto/Hitomi Sato [7] (11:7, 14:12, 11:9)
[2] Chen Xingtong/Sun Yingsha 3:0 Ng Wing Nam/Minnie Soo Wai Yam [8] (11:6, 11:4, 11:6)

Mixed Doubles

Quarter-finals:

[6] Masataka Morizono/Mima Ito 3:1 Lee Sangsu/Jeon Jihee [1] (9:11, 11:7, 11:9, 12:10)

[7] Wong Chun Ting/Doo Hoi Kem 3:2 Chen Chien-An/Cheng I-Ching [3] (11:6, 10:12, 11:2, 8:11, 11:9)

[4] Lim Jonghoon/Yang Haeun 3:0 Lubomir Pistej/Barbora Balazova [8] (11:6, 11:7, 12:10)
[2] Jang Woojin/Cha Hyo Sim 3:2 Maharu Yoshimura/Kasumi Ishikawa [5] (12:10, 8:11, 11:5,
9:11, 11:5)

Source: https://www.ittf.com/tournament/2825/seamaster-2018-ittf-world-tour-grand-finals/#information

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Hirano out, too. Only CNT maid Ishikawa left!

I was surprised that Hirano prepared for the GF at one of my friends base
After the lost, that coach some how "removed" all photos of Miu's presence off his facebook account. One of them I actually want to share with Miu wearing a very cute hat.
I will ask the coach tomorrow why he removed them...

Reactions: PatriciaPinheiro