Who do you think will win the World Tour Grand Finals 2018?

• Xu Xin

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • Fan Zhendong

Votes: 40 39.2%
  • Ma Long

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • Liang Jingkun

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • Tomokazu Harimoto

Votes: 10 9.8%
  • Jang Woojin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lin Gaoyuan

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • Hugo Calderano

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Jun Mizutani

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post Below)

Votes: 2 2.0%

• Total voters
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Congrats to Harimoto, tremendous tournament. The kid is amazing, tough as nails mentally at such a young age.

LGY on the other hand looked like a deer in head lights and did not seem to want to be there on center stage.

He expected he would be playing Fan Zhendong or Harimoto after Harimoto had given him cover by beating Fan Zhendong.

says Hi In first i want to thank you for your interest...
says Hi In first i want to thank you for your interest...
Feb 2015
Read 6 reviews
Great, i wish all the best to Harimoto . But i wish Ittf will do something about this type of screaming ... i could not watch it ... and sometimes (i`m not proud about it) i was thinking about he gets a kind of heart attack..sorry

Last edited:
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018

Some more answers in another interview
http://sports.sina.com.cn/others/pingpang/2018-12-16/doc-ihmutuec9791017.shtml
  为什么没看见到你喜极而泣?“还年轻嘛,再大一点有可能要哭。”

为何拿分后每一球都吼叫?“想让自己再多拿分,下一个球继续拿分。”

接下来最想挑战谁?许昕!我还没赢过他。

如何处理这10万美金的奖金?“存起来。”
Why no tears of joy? I'm still young. Perhaps when I get older.
Why roar after every point? To keep myself winning more points. To win the next point as well.
Who do you want to challenge next the most? Xu Xin! I haven't got him yet.
How will you handle the US$100k prize? Save it up.

In one interview, Liu Guozheng said that the reverse pendulum serve was a tactic. The 2 service errors were because he went for the angles too much, to prevent Harimoto from playing the chiquita down-the-line. He cut down on the quality on the last 2 and...

https://www.weibo.com/1750130321/H7...&mod=weibotime&type=comment#_rnd1544982021327
XA25pwi.png

LGY went straight to LGL after the match and told him "sorry".
LGL replied "don't worry...go back and work on it" while giving him a pat.

http://www.sohu.com/a/282228462_580074
总结整场比赛刘国正说:“高远对于困难准备没有那么充分,上一次他和张本在中国公开赛中交手时打的比较顺。再次交手,在困难准备和对手变化上考虑的不够全面。这一次张本打出了很多变化,上一次两人的上旋球对抗会比较多一些,高远的速度质量方面都要高于张本。这次张本一上来打落点和发球的变化都很快,前两局两人咬的很紧的时候,张本的变化就占据了一定优势,高远在变化方面还是欠缺一些。张本的整体实力在逐步提升,特别是随着比赛越打越多,赢得高手越来越多,对他信心上有所加强。对他的研究我们一直做的是比较多的,他的变化上来说也是超出意料,回去我们会研究的更细致一些,为了2020能够准备的更细一些。
Summarizing the match, Liu Guozheng said: "Gaoyuan's preparation was not as sufficient as we wanted. The last time he and Harimoto played in the China Open, it went relatively well for him. In this encounter, he's not as comprehensive in the preparation for the difficulties and variations of the opponent. Harimoto played lots of variations this time. The last time they had more counterloops, Gaoyuan's speed quality was higher than that of Harimoto. Here, Harimoto's variations in placement and service were really quick. When it got tight in the 1st 2 games, Harimoto's variations gave him the upper hand, and Gaoyuan was still lacking some in that aspect. Harimoto's overall strength is steadily improving. Especially as he played more and more matches, he's bested more and more top players, which has helped boost his confidence. We've been studying him a lot, but still his variations went beyond expectations. We'll study more carefully so that we can go even more in-depth for 2020."

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
Great win for Harimoto. Read in a newspaper today that his bench press went up to 40kg from 20kg this year. It's scary to think a boy with that much (non)power can dominate grown men.

On the other hand, this might be a heavensend Xu Xin as his chance of playing in 2020 olympics must have increased.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.

Some more answers in another interview
http://sports.sina.com.cn/others/pingpang/2018-12-16/doc-ihmutuec9791017.shtml

Why no tears of joy? I'm still young. Perhaps when I get older.
Why roar after every point? To keep myself winning more points. To win the next point as well.
Who do you want to challenge next the most? Xu Xin! I haven't got him yet.
How will you handle the US$100k prize? Save it up.

In one interview, Liu Guozheng said that the reverse pendulum serve was a tactic. The 2 service errors were because he went for the angles too much, to prevent Harimoto from playing the chiquita down-the-line. He cut down on the quality on the last 2 and...

https://www.weibo.com/1750130321/H7...&mod=weibotime&type=comment#_rnd1544982021327
cache.php

LGY went straight to LGL after the match and told him "sorry".
LGL replied "don't worry...go back and work on it" while giving him a pat.

http://www.sohu.com/a/282228462_580074

Summarizing the match, Liu Guozheng said: "Gaoyuan's preparation was not as sufficient as we wanted. The last time he and Harimoto played in the China Open, it went relatively well for him. In this encounter, he's not as comprehensive in the preparation for the difficulties and variations of the opponent. Harimoto played lots of variations this time. The last time they had more counterloops, Gaoyuan's speed quality was higher than that of Harimoto. Here, Harimoto's variations in placement and service were really quick. When it got tight in the 1st 2 games, Harimoto's variations gave him the upper hand, and Gaoyuan was still lacking some in that aspect. Harimoto's overall strength is steadily improving. Especially as he played more and more matches, he's bested more and more top players, which has helped boost his confidence. We've been studying him a lot, but still his variations went beyond expectations. We'll study more carefully so that we can go even more in-depth for 2020."

A good reaction from LGL not to blame LGY after the match.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2013
Read 7 reviews
Mizutani beat LJK. LGY's fault?
Calderano beat FZD. LGY's fault?

I suspect your not-so subtle argument is that XX could have done better than LGY. Well, XX will have chances to prove this in WTTC next year. But Harimoto is improving. When the XX record will shift is anyone's guess.

LGY is not playing normal in the final, not even close to his "normal" by a big margin facing HT in the crucial moments. One should fight "above normal" in a situation like this when the whole team is crushed and the burden is on your shoulder, but LGY crumbled instead. That is the big problem here and too bad there is no easy fix. That is why we need Captain Long to save the day! :cool:

I don't think XX needs to prove himself anymore. His value is that it is not possible to find a practice partner in penhold style with his level outside China so he will always keep his advantage playing oversea. That is exactly why the style is considered dead but LGL still insist to promote it. Not to be the best in China but a reliable weapon to beat foreigners where he is needed. For that XX is doing it in spade. I am pleasantly surprised to see two penholders won the World Junior TT Championship in 2017 and 2018. That proved how sound LGL's logic is all along.

No need to suspect my thoughts and I will tell honest from my heart, even if it is wrong to say it. I am glad that XX lose to other Chinese player and not a foreigner, and don't have to face HT in the final and give him a chance, no matter how big or small, to crush him. Even XX jokes about it saying "I cannot beat HT, the world number 1, so give me a break", after HT said to the press that his next target is XX who he has never beat before. :rolleyes:

Obviously your thought is about individual player and not CNT as a whole. I don't think LGL really care about who win a tournament as long as it is one of his own, me too. I accepted our views will always be different so be it.

LGY was put in an awkward position. If he can choose then I bet he would rather lose to FZD or even MJ in the semi than face and lose to HT in the final. That hurts even more than both FZD and LJK in the early rounds. He is the talk of the day in China and taking all the blames for weak mind. His performance really shows his nerve was cracked under pressure and it is not the first time. Even Wang Hao faced a year long depression and needs great effort from LGL to bring him back to his feet. LGY can beat the whole CNT all day long but he will still be considered a fail if the Championship is lost in his hand. Don't know if LGL can spare the effort and time on him or divert his resources to someone else. Glad that at least LGL was there to comfort him after his lose. Will see how it goes but cruel reality is that the queue in CNT is long, if he got the chance but failed to finish the job, someone will always be happy to fill his place.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
ok read you own comment again and tell me it didn't come off as a racist remark. Those who win are the best on that particular day, no matter where they come from. Who cares what it says in their passport.

:d

hate smoke 1.jpg

piss off 1.jpg

says Any body knows when will be the next Asia Pacific...
says Any body knows when will be the next Asia Pacific...
Sep 2016
Harimoto is playing good table tennis, his calm , his motivation, is better than everybody, it does not seem he was nervous during the game, that is the best part of his table tennis. He can perform well at the big games

Reactions: quanghuysk
This user has no status.
TV programs full of Harimoto this morning in Japan

I learnt this interesting fact:
Harimoto will quit the Elite Academy this year because he wants to go to a better school. Believe it or not, he's got good grades and wants to study harder !

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
TV programs full of Harimoto this morning in Japan

I learnt this interesting fact:
Harimoto will quit the Elite Academy this year because he wants to go to a better school. Believe it or not, he's got good grades and wants to study harder !

Yes, another player jumping out of EA bandwagon. It was said that the EA was founded to give top level training and educational environment. Hirano jumped out becuase she felt her performance was suffering and now Harimoto because he felt his grades weren't good enough! It's got to be somehing wrong with their system and it's seen as a free ticket to Pro Tours by many in Japan. Sad.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2014
Read 6 reviews
well, there is no system that can accomodate everyone's needs. Yesterday I saw a program in which they said that Harimoto is academically at the top in his city/region (based on some national exam, I will link the video later), so there is no way he will be satisfied with just the "good" education that EA can provide.

Also tt is impossible for sport facilities producing top athletes to also give them education of top schools. And even if they could provide it, most players wouldn't be suitable to learn at such a high level. I mean...most "normal" people that are not practising sports for few hours per day, are unable to learn at the level of top schools...that is why they are top.

Same goes to the table tennis aspect. EA might have a good system for producing great players, but Harimoto is a monster and the only "system" he could benefit from is training with Chinese national team and since that is impossible...he might as well train with his dad or whatever else they have planned

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
well, there is no system that can accomodate everyone's needs. Yesterday I saw a program in which they said that Harimoto is academically at the top in his city/region (based on some national exam, I will link the video later), so there is no way he will be satisfied with just the "good" education that EA can provide.

Also tt is impossible for sport facilities producing top athletes to also give them education of top schools. And even if they could provide it, most players wouldn't be suitable to learn at such a high level. I mean...most "normal" people that are not practising sports for few hours per day, are unable to learn at the level of top schools...that is why they are top.

Same goes to the table tennis aspect. EA might have a good system for producing great players, but Harimoto is a monster and the only "system" he could benefit from is training with Chinese national team and since that is impossible...he might as well train with his dad or whatever else they have planned

Lets just hope we don't lose Harimoto in his pursuance of academic excellence. Many top U.S players, as I know, used their sports pedigree to get into top universities and later land blue collar jobs. For example Ariel Hsing - https://www.linkedin.com/in/ariel-hsing-10940b99/ . May be it is different since Japan has good money for T.T but it is money which matters at the end.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Lets just hope we don't lose Harimoto in his pursuance of academic excellence. Many top U.S players, as I know, used their sports pedigree to get into top universities and later land blue collar jobs. For example Ariel Hsing - https://www.linkedin.com/in/ariel-hsing-10940b99/ . May be it is different since Japan has good money for T.T but it is money

she's brilliant AND cute !

Reactions: drunix80