Who do you think will win the World Tour Grand Finals 2018?

• Xu Xin

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • Fan Zhendong

Votes: 40 39.2%
  • Ma Long

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • Liang Jingkun

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • Tomokazu Harimoto

Votes: 10 9.8%
  • Jang Woojin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lin Gaoyuan

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • Hugo Calderano

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Jun Mizutani

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post Below)

Votes: 2 2.0%

• Total voters
This user has no status.
Remember you can make over 1m us per year alone in cttsl without endorsements or prize money. Harimoto could easily if he wins more and more end up earning over 1m in a year . Assuming if he gets cttsl and makes a "mere" 300-400k . Although I know the majority of the money is based in performance bonus.
So Hari could easily out earn a doctor but it is much more risky. Needs to be top 10 world for a decade but a doctor can be a top million of all doctors worldwide and make bank

Risky? He's top 10 worldwide right now aged 15 and is probably the biggest phenomenon table tennis has ever seen. Leaving that to try to become a doctor? Now that would be risky!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Ai used to earn 1 Million USD a year before she got married.

How many past champions has landed top corporate jobs or become own bosses or top academic?

Deng Ya Ping has a PHD
WSA went bye bye
Chen Jing founded her own table tennis club / super league team
Some former players working for brands (Andro, Donic etc)

I am friends with many high profile coaches, who were good enough WR players in his/her days.
today they are coaches. Some of they friends didn't go the coaching, just went to get normal jobs. I think I saw enough for the past 20 years to say, from sportsmans to academic or to "professional" job outside sports, isn't that easy.
Most of them even study sports related degrees to continue playing....

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
Harimoto reviews historic victory

https://youtu.be/wpXLE_7uQpk

Thanks for the link. I must say I liked Harimoto's parents a lot in this interview. Their attitude is far, far from trying to idolize their son (and many people would probably justify them for doing so). You can sense, their work ethic is deeply rooted in them, so they know how hard they and Tomo had to work for it. Clearly the money is in the background for them and treated as a side effect ... a very promising for his table tennis future. The family is the true role model here.

Ai used to earn 1 Million USD a year before she got married.

[...]

I am friends with many high profile coaches, who were good enough WR players in his/her days.
today they are coaches. Some of they friends didn't go the coaching, just went to get normal jobs. I think I saw enough for the past 20 years to say, from sportsmans to academic or to "professional" job outside sports, isn't that easy.
Most of them even study sports related degrees to continue playing....

Yeah, my observations (on a much smaller scale) are about the same. I guess we got carried away, by extrapolating Harimoto's table tennis achievements and abilities into the realm of scholarship, science and so on ...

Last edited:
Reactions: Tony's Table Tennis
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Yeah, my observations (on a much smaller scale) are about the same. I guess we got carried away, by extrapolating Harimoto's table tennis achievements and abilities into the realm of scholarship, science and so on ...

I know quite a few non table tennis sport stars
one of them lost a lot of money for bad investing - as all his life he only knows cricket.
people see him with money and "Trick" him to buyer or investing.
He said he is a good cricketer but a failed businessman.

I think its easy to say Harimoto as a genius sport star will be a genius in any other thing.
Well, i'm afraid that is not always the case.
he is a genius table tennis player because he has how many hours of training already? say 50 hours a week, 50 weeks a year, 10 years.... and he has the resource to make him a genius.

I'm the same age as a lot of top junior coaches of today, and from chitchat I have, a lot of top junior players don't really have good academic result.
Life outside 30 or 40 hours of training is a special topic that only people who walked this path will understand

Some coaches will disagree the player sacrificing so much - including academic. And i'm talking about a player who is in a very balanced academic/sport system.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Lets just hope we don't lose Harimoto in his pursuance of academic excellence. Many top U.S players, as I know, used their sports pedigree to get into top universities and later land blue collar jobs. For example Ariel Hsing - https://www.linkedin.com/in/ariel-hsing-10940b99/ . May be it is different since Japan has good money for T.T but it is money which matters at the end.

I think US is a rare case.
Most of the females (still young) have stopped/retired and pursue academic (in good universities) or career.
Lily is like the last one there from 2012/2016

To be fair, Lily and Ariel's level is not world level to really compete with your Harimotos
And US as far as I know, even if you win all the domestic competition, you still get many folds more money from coaching.

Also, salary in USA is higher than some countries.
Get a decent job (with job security), it is safer bet for life, than playin a sport that your career could be gone (including coaching) should you loose your hand.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
no need to politely say "one person", when that person is participating in the conversation. Btw that one person has posted an old video of He Zhuojia, where she was supposedly a different player. I challenge you to go through that vid and find me a single chop block where she wasn't out of position, good luck with that.

Now, I don't say it's evil, because the rumored practice doesn't exist, therefore isn't evil. What Junting posted differs drastically from what the article you posted tells. There is no "many Waldners and Samsonovs", which main CNT players "play against every day" - direct citations. There are players, who happen to play a somewhat similar style to some other player. Example: He Zhuojia and Ai Fukuhara. They are then asked to mimic them during preparation for major tournaments. That's the bit confirmed by Junting.

Then there's the notion that they keep the style and even benefit from it and go through the ranks. Again, watch that old video and find any differences from today's He Zhuojia. Wang Manyu clones Miu Hirano and is suddenly a top athlete? One, their gamestyles are nothing alike. Two, she was two times world champion in juniors before there was Miu Hirano. Her breakthrough, much like that of Chen Xingtong, didn't come suddenly, as if caused by the supposed change in style, it was a long and steady progress. The only real suspicious case would be Sun Yingsha, who plays very similarly to Hirano. But then again, she was on her way to the main team long before Hirano. She was in Super League from very young age.

Finally, of course they do pick up whatever JNT or any other team comes up with. Shovel serve? Check. Banana flick? Check. Strawberry? We've even seen Zhang Jike practicing it. But when people label that as cloning, copying or whatever you wanna call it - that's straight bullshit. Literally everyone in the sport incorporates all these things in their play. If someone invents a style that's succesful, it becomes public domain and you see others adopting it. No one calls that cloning. You don't see people saying "Ishikawa is a CNT clone", which she very much is by your standards. But saying Sun Yingsha is Miu Hirano 2.0 is fine for some reason. I won't even go into how nonsensical it is, that CNT has "cracked" Miu Hirano and rendered her style useless against them, but at the same time Sun Yingsha and Wang Manyu, merely clones of Hirano, continued enjoying success against their teammates. It just makes zero sense but people will still repeat "oh there's a million clones of Ito in Chinese provincial teams now, her days are numbered".

Best post for address this issue.
It has always been imitation.
ie copy the same serve
to the same stroke/technique
heck even changing cpen blade to jpen
but it has never been clone, it is purely imitation to help your teammates.

I think CNT is rare, as they act as 1 unit, where other countries, each player is his/her own unit.

says Any body knows when will be the next Asia Pacific...
says Any body knows when will be the next Asia Pacific...
Sep 2016
guys , pls don,t forget most of the players they play well not only because they want something from table tennis or they are genius, but also they love and enjoy playing table tennis. If they don,t , no matter how hard they practise they can not play well.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Zeio, Are there any more comments from LGL regarding Harimoto's epic win ? Not a long time back, during WTTTC, he had commented that there are so many juniors in China of Harimoto's level. Also, some funny comments like "FZD is showing him who is the big brother". LOL.

But right now, he should be thinking, who (if any) from CNT, can challenge Harimoto in Tokyo rather than the other way round !!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Zeio, Are there any more comments from LGL regarding Harimoto's epic win ? Not a long time back, during WTTTC, he had commented that there are so many juniors in China of Harimoto's level. Also, some funny comments like "FZD is showing him who is the big brother". LOL.

But right now, he should be thinking, who (if any) from CNT, can challenge Harimoto in Tokyo rather than the other way round !!!

you know, table tennis is funny.
player A can beat player B
C can beat A but struggle with B
etc etc

I don't think there is alarm bells as yet on Harimoto

Using next level (heck he is a higher level than all of us here) wording, FZD must first learn to not loose to Hugo before he can challenge the Japanese.

Back to my wording, I still feel Harimoto has many threats in CNT.
If FZD made it through, who knows what would happen.
If Harimoto had 3 CNT players in a row, who know what would happen.

never the less, the GF is not considered a "gram slam", i'm not even understanding why CNT send so many players this year - its the first time in my memory of CNT taking it so serious.
But I guess it is some alarm bell for 2019 WTTC and 2020 OG for both male and female players.

I think that is what make CNT stronger - when they show weaknesses, they don't pretend all is going smoothly, but they use the resources to recover from it.
I still can't explain how JNT has done this - they are literally using money to make resources and it is working. I can't wait for the next generation of players coming out - the "version 2". I do feel the outlook of JNT will only get more interesting

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018

Did he say that? Of the ones I've seen so far, LGL's has always said China does not have any edge for those of similar age as Harimoto.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
still remember last time CNT hang hirano's photo up and what happened after it? how is she now?

no one is worth to clone.

CNT seldem attach importance to double events, seldem sent the best pair. we'll see 2019 Wttc..

last year CNT lost the world cup, mesia wondered "is the CNT dynasty over?" ...

whatever praise or tease, CNT is always there...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
my analysis to the Tournament:

i think harimoto has the potential to beat the chinese players consistently not only because of his incredible skill level at such a young age, but also because of his playing style. One big strength of the chinese players is their big long-stroke forehand. Harimotos fast pace game near the table set up with risky fast strokes over the table, especially the BH banana, takes away time from the chinese players, so they have problems to bring in their powerful strokes or get the right timing for it. The hard and stable ABS ball with his high bounce and less spin helps Harimoto to stay in control of different services and topspins.

If you watch Harimotos matches, you see him struggling much more often against underdogs with less dangerous playing styles than the chinese players. It's because Harimotos playing style doesn't work that efficient against some other, maybe slower, approaches.

I think one reason, why Harimoto has had problems against Xu Xin in the past, is, that XX does not only rely on his power; he varies the spin and placement of his shots much more than FZD and LGY. And XXs strong services into the short forehand by Harimoto gives him some more passive returns than Harimotos opponents usually get.

For the other chinese players to handle Harimoto it might also be useful to concentrate more on variation than only on power. For example FZD, who might be the technically strongest player in the world with his power from both wings, often plays with quite predictable placement. In his match against Calderano he powers so many balls directly into Calderanos racket and got back a counter topspin with equal power but more varied placement. Harimoto is able to punish predictable placements as well.

I think if you give Harimoto wide angles and different spins, it is more difficult for him to hold the aggressive position near the table. But as always, it is easier said than done

Reactions: jawien
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
What did he say?

brief:

1.harimoto is only 15, hewill be a bigger threaten to cnt. regardless of nationality, from the view as a coach, this kind of player is hard to come by. some audience don't like his scream, but actually that's his way, his character. he has passion and try to stimulate himself. only this kind of player will reach high level. so nothing to blame him. if i am a player, i will like to play against him. he will also stimulate your fighting will(spirit) if you also a strong player. but if you are weak, you will be disturb by him.

to be continue...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
continue:

2. this time, although we sent strong army, but they are not in good form(or good state). many players just rematch their new coach yet. media have notice it. Xuxin coached by ChenQi, ZhuYuLin coached by QiuYiKe, LSW by MaLin.

the first reform after LGL's return is the new matching systerm. LGL told the reporter he did as a intermediary between players and coaches. both sides choose each other. LGL" the player put forward the coach he/she want to me, and then I talk to the coach,see if he/she has the willing and ability to work with the player. and if ok, then let them to cooperate."

to be continue.

Reactions: bobpuls and jawien
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
continue

3. the players rely on their coach on mentally, they need their direction on the key points. on technique, we are the best, but players still need the coach to use experience to break their hesitation and wander. but if the experience of the coach suitable for the player? sometimes yes, but sometimes no, then the coach may not satisfied with the player. it's hard to foster a player, they are different individual. coaches should change the way of thinking according to the player to exploit their potential.

Reactions: bobpuls
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
continue...

the last part.

"as a head coach before, the working is brief and simple, but as a chirman of CTTA, i can't be simple, i should be wide abroad, both work on matches and management, work like a twin. CTTA is more about develop, cooperation and service."

over.

p.s. LSW, ML is said that they don't have a charge coach for very long time, LSW posted on Weibo said that she had been "free-ranging" for a year... MaLin is half officially back now may charging LSW...