Joola bought Joola

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
I didn't know most of these rubbers were still for sale. Many of the blades are also not in catalogues elsewhere. France is a weird bastion of its own!

Tenergy by FAAAR everywhere else. Then MX-P. Then probably Vega Pro, G1, MX-S etc on down through ESN. Blades is like Butterfly Timo Boll ALC, Primorac, Korbel, Stiga classic ones, Tibhar Stratus Power Wood, Tibhar Force Pro Black edition, Yasaka Sweden Extra etc.

Bastion is the word, quite.

Which country do you live in?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
Ioiettino,

You should feel free to post as long as you like as much as you like when you are expressing yourself on subject that need a long technical detailed explanation.

You or no one else needs Der_Echte's permission for anything in life... I am just supporting you and any others.

You may sincerely feel sorry or you are using good etiquette... No need to feel sorry, you are well justified.

Ahah, cheers. Was just worried about those sentences, where three things spring to mind which I end up inserting. But yeah, spending time on forums like this one was an eye-opener for me. I expected differences between countries, but not this much.

Reactions: Der_Echte
says Table Tennis - the sport for life.
says Table Tennis - the sport for life.
Jan 2013
Another thing to consider is that some brands are very big in the recreational markets, which really boost their presence.
In Australia Butterfly is the clear leader when it come to Club level, but at recreational level I suspect Donic might lead.
Joola used to be big and popular in the 80s/90s with products like Tango, but have dropped off a lot since those days.

says Visited my own profile, woop woop. ;)
says Visited my own profile, woop woop. ;)
Nov 2014
Read 6 reviews
The market share discussion is interesting stuff.

Not a complete list of users obviously, but you could also combine research with the revspin (ttdb) database.
Numbers of ratings and/or most used/popular (top 100)
Just an estimate based on top 100:
1. Butterfly 2. DHS/Donic/Xiom/Tibhar/Yasaka 7. Andro 8. Friendship/Nittaku/stiga, Joola is contending with Galaxy or something.
Blade much more tied, but still clear Butterfly first.
2. Stiga/Xiom 4. Donic/Yasaka. 6. Andro
Joola is maybe tied with Nittaku, Galaxy and Tibhar.
Can probably get more accurate numbers by combining number of reviews from each brand...
Though I wonder if revspin can date sort their reviews and get "nationality" statistics, for more relevant numbers.

JST

This user has no status.

JST

This user has no status.
Nov 2017
The market share discussion is interesting stuff.

Not a complete list of users obviously, but you could also combine research with the revspin (ttdb) database.

Question is what do you call "market share"? You may get grasp of what are the most popular blades and rubbers but it has very weak link to actual market share. How many of these blades are actually sold new? How do you weight people who rotate rubbers on 1/2/3 month basis with people who buy new every year? And what is the ratio between revenue made on blades/rubbers and other things like balls, tables, apparel?

Then size of the market is critical. Companies will probably care much less about Luxembourg then Germany. And finally you can get big market share by lowering margins but you will bankrupt unless you maintain some critical margin threshold. So the money companies actually make on each type of TT equipment and in each market are the critical information. And we will hardly get these...

Last edited:
Reactions: Kaizoku
As market share is usually calculated on money bases, a company selling double less but on double price will have the same market share as a company with double sells on half of that price. But still more "popular" will be considered the one with more aggressive marketing and advertising, rather than which one is in more hands. If you ask 1000 Palio players which is the most popular TT brand, all of them will answer BTY.

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
How so? At some clubs I see a lot of Donic. Or Tibhar. Or Joola. Or Stiga. It seems to be a local preference that varies wildly, and I couldn’t concoct an overall picture.
Seeing in few clubs can't be a rough idea, unless you have traveled to 30000 clubs in Germany and seen everything.

Zeio, please tell me how to get the stats
i'm the number 1 in South Africa, and I being very in the loop can't even be certain to stat a close guesstimate
SjTEERf.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
The next question is: will they rebrand it? If I were the new owner, I'd remove any stigma and rebrand something American (ie 'Patriot'). Gives it a fresh start.

Why would you buy a brand and ditch it down the drain then? It's not as if they are buying some secret technologies.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Market share is not only by money value
it is also by quantity

For example, Butterfly has market share based on players at WTTC as an example - that is on quantity.

For my dealings with my suppliers, we also use quantity as a target