Back to Forum
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. lugi2000 is offline
    says When will we return to TT...
     
    Advanced TTD Member 162 400
    lugi2000's Avatar
    lugi2000 is offline
    says When will we return to TT...
     
    Advanced TTD Member 400 162

    User Info Menu


    Sep 2017
    UK
    400
    162
    928
    Read 2 Reviews
    #1

    What's going on here? Doubles match

    Table Tennis England did a post on their facebook this morning "What's going on here? Portugal serve for SIX points in a row against England in the Cadet team event at the Portugal Youth Open! Has anything like this ever happened to you in the 11-up era?"


  2. zeio is offline
    says 快、準、狠、變、轉
     
    Master TTD Member 8,051 5,837
    zeio's Avatar
    zeio is offline
    says 快、準、狠、變、轉
     
    Master TTD Member 5,837 8,051

    User Info Menu


    Jan 2018
    PNG
    5,837
    8,051
    21309
    Read 0 Reviews
    #2
    The kid with the 84 tag is genius. He has it in him to be a great hypnotist.

    The English pair served first in the game at 0:0. The error wasn't discovered until two points later, which should've been the English pair's turn to serve. According to the rule, if I'm not mistaken, the game should resume with the Portuguese pair serving since that would've been their turn, therefore serving 6 in a row?

    2.14 OUT OF ORDER OF SERVING, RECEIVING OR ENDS
    2.14.1 If a player serves or receives out of turn, play shall be interrupted by the
    umpire as soon as the error is discovered and shall resume with those players
    serving and receiving who should be server and receiver respectively at the
    score that has been reached, according to the sequence established at the
    beginning of the match and, in doubles, to the order of serving chosen by the
    pair having the right to serve first in the game during which the error is
    discovered.
    2.14.2 If the players have not changed ends when they should have done so, play
    shall be interrupted by the umpire as soon as the error is discovered and shall
    resume with the players at the ends at which they should be at the score that
    has been reached, according to the sequence established at the beginning of
    the match.
    2.14.3 In any circumstances, all points scored before the discovery of an error shall
    be reckoned.
    Last edited by zeio; 11-30-2018 at 10:31 PM.
    Race for Tokyo 2020+1 - Women's Top 11, Japan
    Time capsules - 2020, 2024, 2028

  3. bircham boi is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Established TTD Member 155 158
    B
    bircham boi is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Established TTD Member 158 155

    User Info Menu


    Feb 2012
    Australia
    158
    155
    638
    Read 0 Reviews
    #3
    Classic failure of umpire to keep track of service rotation. You can see the English team get talked out of it by the Portuguese righty, even though at the end of the first two serves the umpire indicates England to serve next. After four consecutive serves, the English players make a fuss, but the umpire is quite correct insisting Portugal serve yet again. But England should complain about the umpire after the match.

  4. yogi_bear is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 2,833 5,927
    yogi_bear's Avatar
    yogi_bear is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 5,927 2,833
    #4
    Yup umpire's fault. It is a common mistake to lose track of the order of serving in tt. I usually write down the receiver and server per game.

  5. FruitLoop is offline
    says Looping
     
    Senior TTD Member 538 840
    FruitLoop's Avatar
    FruitLoop is offline
    says Looping
     
    Senior TTD Member 840 538
    #5
    Completely umpires fault. He directed the English to serve. Then the Portuguese argued and he just let them serve...

  6. jafdfm is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 0 4
    J
    jafdfm is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 4 0
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by yogi_bear
    Yup umpire's fault. It is a common mistake to lose track of the order of serving in tt. I usually write down the receiver and server per game.
    Why is it the umpire's fault? Didn't you see the umpire point twice to the serving side?
    It´s easier to blame the umpire, but he pointed to the correct side TWICE and was the first to see the mistake, in that point the ITTF rules say the order must be corrected, so made the correct call.
    The players made the mistake and mess the serve order.

  7. yogi_bear is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 2,833 5,927
    yogi_bear's Avatar
    yogi_bear is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 5,927 2,833
    #7
    Yes it is still his fault because why in the hell the match continued with the wrong order?!! If you are an umpire your responsibility is not just calling in rules, you need to enforce them!

  8. yogi_bear is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 2,833 5,927
    yogi_bear's Avatar
    yogi_bear is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 5,927 2,833
    #8
    You also did not see situation enough and my arguement. The umpire only discovered it after more than 3 serves which of course error in service order was already done! Hence it is the umpire' s fault! Although it is the player's responsibility to also keep track of his score and sevice order, overall in a match the umpire' s responsibility is to have a smooth and correct continuity of the game. In this case which you have not gotten the point was the umpire's lapse!

  9. jafdfm is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 0 4
    J
    jafdfm is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 4 0
    #9
    Yeah, the umpire is always the weakest link and the easier to blame. Always umpire's fault...

  10. ttmonster is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 4,428 3,683
    T
    ttmonster is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 3,683 4,428
    #10
    This is funny as hell .. I don't think there is a rational explanation ... I think the umpire has a lot of teenage grandkids at home and knows very well gentle persuasion is better than argument ... its better to leave them to learn on their own .. kind of philosophy ... "hey I am telling you what you are doing is wrong , and I am going to keep reminding you, till one of you decides to listen... but I am not going to get into a fight with you kids till you know better " ... ROFLAO !!!
    Lets go Spinny Looping !

  11. bircham boi is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Established TTD Member 155 158
    B
    bircham boi is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Established TTD Member 158 155

    User Info Menu


    Feb 2012
    Australia
    158
    155
    638
    Read 0 Reviews
    #11
    Quote Originally Posted by jafdfm
    Yeah, the umpire is always the weakest link and the easier to blame. Always umpire's fault...
    Not sure why you would want to blame the kids for what is an umpiring mistake. It is not the responsibility of the players to control the game. It is not the responsibility of the players to determine who serves and when. It is not the responsibility of the players to do anything much other than hit the ball.

  12. FruitLoop is offline
    says Looping
     
    Senior TTD Member 538 840
    FruitLoop's Avatar
    FruitLoop is offline
    says Looping
     
    Senior TTD Member 840 538
    #12
    Quote Originally Posted by jafdfm
    Yeah, the umpire is always the weakest link and the easier to blame. Always umpire's fault...
    But it clearly is his fault. Your Portuguese with 2 posts, maybe he's your relative. He let Portugal serve in the wrong order even though he KNEW it was wrong. Then only fixed it after they had two serves. LOL! Senility or corrupt who knows but it was his fault.

  13. yogi_bear is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 2,833 5,927
    yogi_bear's Avatar
    yogi_bear is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 5,927 2,833
    #13
    I am assuming he has not undergone any basic umpire's course because of his arguement. It is taught as basics to would be umpires, in my case taught by an I.U., to always have the responsibility and accountability to have a smooth flowing game and make the right calls. Right calls, not just the quality of your calls but also the timing. Timing in this case is delayed and not enforced fully right away.

  14. jafdfm is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 0 4
    J
    jafdfm is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 4 0
    #14
    Quote Originally Posted by FruitLoop
    But it clearly is his fault. Your Portuguese with 2 posts, maybe he's your relative. He let Portugal serve in the wrong order even though he KNEW it was wrong. Then only fixed it after they had two serves. LOL! Senility or corrupt who knows but it was his fault.
    Wrong and wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by yogi_bear
    I am assuming he has not undergone any basic umpire's course because of his arguement. It is taught as basics to would be umpires, in my case taught by an I.U., to always have the responsibility and accountability to have a smooth flowing game and make the right calls. Right calls, not just the quality of your calls but also the timing. Timing in this case is delayed and not enforced fully right away.
    Well, you are wrong in your assumption. It's because i am an umpire that i know the umpire did the correct call at 7-7
    I will assume you are a trained umpire. If you are you know how easy can a wrong order in doubles matches to happen, expecially with 10 year-old kids. But as i said before, it's easier to blame the umpire and make a scene out of it when i saw this happening even in OLYMPICS, the diference was that the umpire did not have the balls this guy showed to do the right call and continue in the correct order.
    Last edited by jafdfm; 12-02-2018 at 12:22 AM.

  15. yogi_bear is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 2,833 5,927
    yogi_bear's Avatar
    yogi_bear is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 5,927 2,833
    #15
    I was not saying he made the wrong call, i am saying he FAILED TO ENFORCE his call which resulted to having more than 2 serves!! Please do not put words in my mouth! If you are an umpire then you need to go back to training because you clearly do not understand the impact of not enforcing your calls on time!

    The Following 2 Users Like yogi_bear's Post:

    Ranger-man and ttmonster


  16. yogi_bear is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 2,833 5,927
    yogi_bear's Avatar
    yogi_bear is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 5,927 2,833
    #16
    Yes I am a trained umpire aside from being an ITTF Coaching Course Conductor. Even it happens in the Olympics or World Championships does not mean it is not the umpire's fault because it is!!

    The Following 2 Users Like yogi_bear's Post:

    Ranger-man and ttmonster

    Last edited by yogi_bear; 12-02-2018 at 12:28 AM.

  17. jafdfm is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 0 4
    J
    jafdfm is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 4 0
    #17
    Quote Originally Posted by yogi_bear
    I was not saying he made the wrong call, i am saying he FAILED TO ENFORCE his call which resulted to having more than 2 serves!! Please do not put words in my mouth! If you are an umpire then you need to go back to training because you clearly do not understand the impact of not enforcing your calls on time!
    Ok Master

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Create a new Topic:
Title is required.