Thoughts on rubbers both FH and BH

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Saw you say that you are disregarding Tenergy because it's harder to use for short pushes. T05H is one of the easiest to control for short pushes I think.

What about MX-P fh EL-S bh?

T05 hard in theory does that easier -a short push, as do all harder rubbers, but the topsheet still makes it more challenging.

A hard sponge on FH is not for everyone, you gotta have the right kind of impact on power shots and a trade-off on slower heavy spin opening shots. You don't get it all with T05 Hard. It certainly isn't for me, I simply do not have the kind of impact on FH to make the best use of it in all shot situations.

T05 hard in theory does that easier -a short push, as do all harder rubbers, but the topsheet still makes it more challenging.

A hard sponge on FH is not for everyone, you gotta have the right kind of impact on power shots and a trade-off on slower heavy spin opening shots. You don't get it all with T05 Hard. It certainly isn't for me, I simply do not have the kind of impact on FH to make the best use of it in all shot situations.

Gotcha. I'm not a good player or anything, quite the contrary. Just felt short pushes were way easier than with T05. That's all :)

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
True, T05 Hard is easier to push short than T05, but T05 has such a better feel of sponge and arc/spin of ball it is no contest for me if someone waz gunna give me free sheetz of Tenergeys… One has gotta look at what shots mean the most to them and what equipment gives them a better chance of performing those with quality...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
@Der_Echte .. I felt T05 Hard was made for you ... my suggestion is to give it some time and you will like it better
True, T05 Hard is easier to push short than T05, but T05 has such a better feel of sponge and arc/spin of ball it is no contest for me if someone waz gunna give me free sheetz of Tenergeys… One has gotta look at what shots mean the most to them and what equipment gives them a better chance of performing those with quality...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2016
Vega pro felt harder to me, it's 47.5 hardness or something like that.
But now it turns out that the Rakza is 45-50, which is really, really odd. I mean, that they can't get their freaking process together enough to have a sponge of any consistency.

So maybe I just got a softer Rakza7 when I used it.

Damn, that's a wide range :(.
To me that seems a consistency far from acceptable, I wonder if every rubber produced by ESN has that same issue. Imagine buying a Rasanter R47 with an actual sponge hardness of 42 degrees, which would be in fact an R42.

Anyone here who could shed some light on this?

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Vega Pro overall does not feel that hard to me. Der_Echte is NOT a hard rubber dude on FH. Medium to medium soft sponge on dynamic or linear topsheet is my sweet spot.

We all should discover the sweet spot. Some players have the kind of impact on the majority of their shots to benefit from a harder sponge.

My BH has several very direct and powerful impact shots which should benefit from a harder sponge, but somehow, even there on BH wing, a control oriented rubber with a dynamic topsheet or linear topsheet gets me a ton of spin, placement and pace when I whack it.

That is an example of a player being better off with a control oriented softer rubber, even if their impact ought to make good use of a firmer sponged rubber of the same make/model.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
@Der_echte .. here is my opinion on t05H , its feels like Karis H ( with due respect to Karis ) but with a better topsheet and and more powerful / spinny sponge and hence more gears .. at first it seems that you cannot sink it into the sponge but as the touch adjusts you get to figure out its advantage... considering I have been at the receiving end of your Forehand , the amount of brush and heavy spin you can put on that end , I feel with T05 you will get a lot of easy power and spin .. on all your FH shots ..
Vega Pro overall does not feel that hard to me. Der_Echte is NOT a hard rubber dude on FH. Medium to medium soft sponge on dynamic or linear topsheet is my sweet spot.

We all should discover the sweet spot. Some players have the kind of impact on the majority of their shots to benefit from a harder sponge.

My BH has several very direct and powerful impact shots which should benefit from a harder sponge, but somehow, even there on BH wing, a control oriented rubber with a dynamic topsheet or linear topsheet gets me a ton of spin, placement and pace when I whack it.

That is an example of a player being better off with a control oriented softer rubber, even if their impact ought to make good use of a firmer sponged rubber of the same make/model.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Of course if I had T05 on my FH, I would have even MOAR ridiculous spin, but with T05 HARD (Yes, I tried it, ttd member erm has a sheet or two) I have the proper impact for only 2 strokes - the counter against incoming spin, and the blast against a dead ball. On those two strokes, I get what T05 Hard can possible give -increased pace and spin exceeding T05... However, on my other shots, I do not get it as much.

Of course, If I had T05 Hard on my FH, I could adapt to a good degree over time, but that doesn't make the fact go away that it is more difficult on my other important shots to get my spin and control. Not a mission impossible, but more difficult.

I select a rubber based on how easy it is to do the majority of strokes I attempt and the result on my opponent.

I have quickly discovered that T05 Hard is not for me. I would have the same benefits and difficulties I had when I played Calibra LT.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
As for the comparison with Karis H... on a fast stiff blade with mostly direct impact strokes, I got what Karis H excelled at, but I didn't get as much on my other shots.

You make a good comparison.

For those with the right kind of impact (Think - those that make great use of H2/H3 on FH), T05 Hard is a great choice.

Reactions: ttmonster
So quick review after 2 sessions on a band ankle.

Andro Rasanter R47 is great! Amazing control, spin is very good, but need to get used to it being a bit less loopy and a bit faster. Like it on both FH and BH. Very easy to lift backspin, good at counter spin, and for fast rubber it is freaking awesome in the short game on my fast blade.

Gewe Nexxus EL Pro 48 is also very good, faster that R47, good control, but a lot bounsier, and will take time to get used to in a short game, great on flicks and lifting back spin, but blade angle and technique need to be perfect, otherwise ball goes off the table. It will take time to get used to it. I am going to play with it for a few months, but as of right now I wish I had R47 on my BH as well.

Reactions: yoass
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
Damn, that's a wide range :(.
To me that seems a consistency far from acceptable, I wonder if every rubber produced by ESN has that same issue. Imagine buying a Rasanter R47 with an actual sponge hardness of 42 degrees, which would be in fact an R42.

Anyone here who could shed some light on this?

I believe that this is the case for most manufacturers. Buying 42 degree while give you something in a range of 40-44 for example. I've been using Stiga Mantra S for the last couple of months on my two setups and there's a clear difference in hardness between the two sheets. Both sheets bought from the same shop at the same time.

The same applies to sponge thickness as well. TSP is the only vendor that I've seen being open with this. I glued a sheet of Curl P1R 0.5mm some days ago and it had 0.3mm-0.6mm printed on the sponge.

Just my 0.02$.

Reactions: Jirrex
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016

I was actually going to recommend fastarc G1 to OP. I prefer it to the Tenergy 05 because it's doesnt have the unpredictability of T05 but still has the spin.

That said my blade is a rocket and my FH swing is rocket as well so it works well for me