BH/FH rubbers around 42° hardness

This user has no status.
I play topspin game. I had Tibhar stratus power wood with Baracuda on both sides and I loved it until my brother forced me to buy Timo Boll ALC with Tenergy 05 FX 2.1 FH & 1.9 on BH. In the beginning I hated it, It felt like a toy bat compare to my old set up. After using it for about 2 weeks I started to realize what a monster it is. I just love it. Fast spiny topspin shots it produces are mind boggling & players think its my technique :D At my club during round Robin they try not to give ball to my forehand :)

varies between 45-50?! wtf

Yes, before I come back to anwer, others have found it too.

AND - have in mind that the situation is more or less the same with ALL rubbers and the harder the rubber is the greater the deviation may be. Again - more or less.
For example Xiom Omega 7 Tour is rated as 52.5 but in fact is 52.5 +/-3 , but ususally the deviation is missed in the info by most retailers.
And have in mind that always there is some inconsistency, more or less, not only between different sheets, but through the sheet too.
So the Xu Xin habit style of looking on the rubber when disgust is appropriate.
/of course not for him, as his perdonal rubbers are well sellected with no deviations/

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
i've also seen about this deviation on https://ttgearlab.com/2017/07/12/stiga-mantra-series-review/ (very good analysis, especially for blades)

He says
There are three variations in ‘Mantra’ series – Mantra H, Mantra M and Mantra S. H, M and S mean hard, medium and soft relatively. Average sponge densities are 53.0º, 48.0º and 43.0º relatively. Because there is deviation of sponge density, actual sponge densities will be 51.5~54.5º, 46.5~49.5º and 41.5~44.5º relatively.

But indeed i find it very weird, to have a possible 3° variation. For me it just becomes a different rubbers between 40° and 43°

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
Hello Wister,

So many options! To name a few that I've played with and some descriptions:

1) Yasaka Rakza 7 soft, good durability, felt that it was a good all round offense rubber. But no world class top end speed/spin feeling for me; The Victas V01 (~42°) played similar, with better speed. And with a lower throw. I did not like the V01 Stiff (~45°) though. Stiffer topsheet on a harder sponge. The throw angle was so low.. lower than T64 for me. I had to adjust my FH stroke, else I was netting balls real often than usual. Speed enough yes, but I don't really like non elastic rubbers that focus mostly on speed. In blocking, looping, flat hitting, this felt a little like the TSP Ventus Speed (~45°). The Ventus speed however has a much higher throw, and better control.

2) Victas V15 Limber (~40°) has a somewhat dead feel. Speed is enough. Good on the counter, and block. Insensitive to spin, great for serve receives. But I felt that is was difficult to bring out spin in all V15 rubbers. I wished the topsheet were more elastic? Medium low throw, Grip is... So - so after a feel weeks of play.

3) Nittaku C-1 (~45°) Good topsheet grip no slips! Might be a little over/harder with what you're looking for. And with the topsheet pips alignment, it will feel a little tougher/harder. High throw, overall a good rubber in this 45 degree category. One of my go-to rubber for 45°.

4) Cornilleau Target Pro M43 (~43°).
Initially I was skeptical about the Michelin branding on the rubber. But hey, I was surprised. It did offer good grip. The topsheet is softer and gives you an overall softer feeling too. Throw angle is high, spin generation is easy. On really higher power shots, the trajectory will start to travel straighter/flatten out. Another of my go-to rubbers. But this is actually too fast for me. I like to control within the close table and finish within 3rd/ 5th ball.

5) Tibhar Evolution FX-S (41-43°)
My current rubber, and favourite for now.
The tenergy I use best is the T05fx. But the 05 topsheets are extremely sensitive to spin. As I do play a control game, this is a big problem for me. The FX-S plays similar (not identical). It feels harder, much less sensitive to spin, lower throw, slightly slower/less bouncy. And is more direct. I can't really find any fault with this rubber and enjoy using it.

I am a single sided penholder. I use the same rubber for both FH/BH.

Hope you find something you like.

Cheers!

Reactions: Wister
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
hello, thanks for your additional ideas! :)

Finally i took mantra S for my FH and i just played one session with. It feels very natural on the BH and i'm a bit less sure for the FH as it has a lower throw angle than the R42 and it bothered me a bit. Especially because a play a bit far from the table and take the ball a bit (too) late on my FH so i need some arc. Also it is indeed a fast rubbers, i was even a bit surprised about it after having played lately with a bit worn out sheet

But about the gripness i complained about for R42, it was not the case with mantra S when i played it on my BH for 3 months. It kept the gripness even if it was less after a while, just not bothering. Just i was way less speedy at the end but i prefer this problem than a lack of gripness :)