Best FH in the world at the moment?

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Has anyone considered Joo Sae Hyuk?

czo0NDoiMXZ4ZGIxVk9NK1pkV2NKcjZKMGJSYnR2L2MwYzIzcUdqWDhkMmkxcWlsdz0iOw==.jpg

Man, all offensive players can retire if that were the case.

Reactions: fais
This user has no status.
czo0NDoiMXZ4ZGIxVk9NK1pkV2NKcjZKMGJSYnR2L2MwYzIzcUdqWDhkMmkxcWlsdz0iOw==.jpg

Man, all offensive players can retire if that were the case.
I’m not saying he’s the best player, just that he chops and top spins with his FH... which means he has more variety than other players, which is surely something we should be taking into account.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Just want to make a point , don't try to rank FH by how they "look" on youtube/TV ... just because somebody takes the forehand late and it curves and dips and looks fancy does not mean its any better than somebody else who takes the ball early / top of the bounce or even earlier and the curve is not visible on TV. Judge it by its effectiveness. Also keep in mind that you will have an obvious bias in your head if somebody does not have a back hand and only plays forehand .. because it will seem as if he is winning all his points on FH but then thats the only shot he has got ..

Jan 2018
I’m not saying he’s the best player, just that he chops and top spins with his FH... which means he has more variety than other players, which is surely something we should be taking into account.

You didn't get it. Every offensive player would have less variety by your definition, in this case, and there is no point going forward.

yhKdUVE.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: fais
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Just want to make a point , don't try to rank FH by how they "look" on youtube/TV ... just because somebody takes the forehand late and it curves and dips and looks fancy does not mean its any better than somebody else who takes the ball early / top of the bounce or even earlier and the curve is not visible on TV. Judge it by its effectiveness. Also keep in mind that you will have an obvious bias in your head if somebody does not have a back hand and only plays forehand .. because it will seem as if he is winning all his points on FH but then thats the only shot he has got ..

I agree here.

Even though OP is wrong to bring in JSH as he is not "current, but retired"
JSH has one of the best FH too - top spin and chop and wins points from it

But then again, He Zhi Wen too

RSM has a good BH too

I don't think we can ever measure best FH as there is way too many measures and as I said previously, seems like people just want to measure only the "looks pretty when topspinning and counter topspinning FH" and the rest of FH strokes/technique doesn't count.

Last edited:
Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 3 reviews
you mean Ding Nings fh looks better on TV against other female players?

Yes for sure better than her female rivals and in speed better than some of the men players , Actually women's game is more speedy than men in general , the reactions are better and men's shot stronger as you know

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Yes for sure better than her female rivals and in speed better than some of the men players , Actually women's game is more speedy than men in general , the reactions are better and men's shot stronger as you know

I think if you want to compare gender
female can not match male when comes to FH to FH top spin
This was covered recently in another thread.

In the days of Wang Nan and Zhang Yining - and we can all agree these two all very complete - maybe more than Ding Ning in my opinion, looses to CNT B Team boy players, while ranked top 3 in the world in womens

The only reason why CNT womens team is speedy (note, its not womens game in general, as lots of European are not speedy), is because they play close to the table and off the bounce.

Mens game is more powerfully and that is not possible to upkeep close to the table, hence the mens need to move away from the table even more.
Should mens game counter drive close to the table too, I'm sure the ball will go off most of the time

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 3 reviews
I think if you want to compare gender
female can not match male when comes to FH to FH top spin
This was covered recently in another thread.

In the days of Wang Nan and Zhang Yining - and we can all agree these two all very complete - maybe more than Ding Ning in my opinion, looses to CNT B Team boy players, while ranked top 3 in the world in womens

The only reason why CNT womens team is speedy (note, its not womens game in general, as lots of European are not speedy), is because they play close to the table and off the bounce.

Mens game is more powerfully and that is not possible to upkeep close to the table, hence the mens need to move away from the table even more.
Should mens game counter drive close to the table too, I'm sure the ball will go off most of the time

What do you think about harimoto's speedy shots ?? Does he play close to the table too ??

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2017
The OP is asking about thoughts about the best FH at the moment. While WLQ dominated TT with his FH, he is no longer playing. Harimoto has a lot of strengths but having the best FH at the moment is not one of them.

My top 3 at the moment are XX and ML tied at best, followed very closely by FZD.

XX is such a FH dominant player. ML used to be a FH dominant player but has evolved into a very balanced player, comfortable in BH to BH rallies with anyone while retaining all his FH goodness. He has lots of variety and power/placement with his FH. Watch how he controls his opponents on short serves receives on the FH side with his FH push, flip, and soft openings inviting a loop to counter loop and take control of the point. FZD has insane power and consistency but is still to develop ML level touch and control. Although he really doesn't need to in order beat anyone in the world not named ML.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
The OP is asking about thoughts about the best FH at the moment. While WLQ dominated TT with his FH, he is no longer playing. Harimoto has a lot of strengths but having the best FH at the moment is not one of them.

My top 3 at the moment are XX and ML tied at best, followed very closely by FZD.

XX is such a FH dominant player. ML used to be a FH dominant player but has evolved into a very balanced player, comfortable in BH to BH rallies with anyone while retaining all his FH goodness. He has lots of variety and power/placement with his FH. Watch how he controls his opponents on short serves receives on the FH side with his FH push, flip, and soft openings inviting a loop to counter loop and take control of the point. FZD has insane power and consistency but is still to develop ML level touch and control. Although he really doesn't need to in order beat anyone in the world not named ML.
Zjk flick is insane though...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Like I said , you cannot come up with a realistic conclusion to these kind of debates unless some body goes and interviews the players and does a poll of the top 50 players on who they think has the best forehand. Table tennis is a complicated sport where most of the secrets are revealed only when you are at the same/similar level and stand on the other side of the table ... for the rest of us mere mortals its an exercise in futility.

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Table tennis is a complicated sport where most of the secrets are revealed only when you are at the same/similar level and stand on the other side of the table ... for the rest of us mere mortals its an exercise in futility.
This is true. Another way of saying "exercise in futility" is "opportunity to try to convince everyone else that my favourite player is the best".

Reactions: ttmonster