I
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 11 3

User Info Menu

May 2021
    UK
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by isolator

I can't agree more! I bought an acoustic 10 years ago in Tokyo Japan that weighted 88g. When paired with MXP/Rakza 7, it feels very solid. Very little vibration (not hollow). The sound is very crisp. 10 years later (today), I bought a Large Handle acoustic from TT11 because I don't like the small handle. It weights 90g, paired with Fastarc G1 on both sides - it feels completely different! It feels hollow and lots of vibration. The sound is also hollow. It doesn't feel as powerful (solid) as the old one. I am so disappointed...

Happy to find someone who feels the same - others rarely mention/notice this. Do you think the vast difference is due to the rubbers I put? Or is the quality of acoustic becomes much worse over the course of 10 years?

Mystery solved! Turns out the LG Acoustic weighs 82g (written on the box), instead of the requested 90g. That explains why it feels so hollow when compared with my 88g non-LG one. Weight really plays a great part on a blade's characteristic! Sadly you can no longer guarantee the weight in the world of online shopping.

says I spin it right round

TTD Member 22 43
    says I spin it right round

TTD Member 43 22

Mystery solved! Turns out the LG Acoustic weighs 82g (written on the box), instead of the requested 90g. That explains why it feels so hollow when compared with my 88g non-LG one. Weight really plays a great part on a blade's characteristic! Sadly you can no longer guarantee the weight in the world of online shopping.

With tabletennis11 you can always ask what blades (in terms of weight) they have in stock via email. This shop is amazing

This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 77 230
    K
    This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 230 77

My logic says that if a blade is the same but lighter and with a bigger handle the hollowness most probably comes from the empty space inside the handle. If it wasn't so the blade would have been much heavier and there would be no resonance (or hollowness)

This user has no status.

Senior TTD Member 445 837
    I
    This user has no status.

Senior TTD Member 837 445
    Quote Originally Posted by Kolev
    My logic says that if a blade is the same but lighter and with a bigger handle the hollowness most probably comes from the empty space inside the handle. If it wasn't so the blade would have been much heavier and there would be no resonance (or hollowness)
    If the weight is in the handle, the blade can weigh more on the scales and feel lighter in the hand.
    But as you say if the blade is lighter with a larger handle, then either the handle is hollow, or lighter.
    Of course there are weight differences in the different batches of wood as well.
    The Acoustic and Acoustic inner blades I bought from TT11 were the lightest ones they had in stock at the time, I just called and asked them, they emailed back with the weights, great service.

says I like to hit Heavy Topspin

Super Moderator 15,807 14,222
    says I like to hit Heavy Topspin

Super Moderator 14,222 15,807
    I have seen Viscaria blades that weighted 98 grams and others 79 grams. When you open the handle, there was no difference in the manufacture details.

Wood is something that was once living. Different pieces of wood of the same kind, size and cut, can still have quite different weights.
    Setup 1: Blade by Nate: Vortex Spin Machine, FH Evolution MX-K, BH Evolution FX-P
    Setup 2: OSP Virtuoso Plus, FH Rasanter R 48, BH Rasanter R 48
    Spin is Everything

This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 61 265
    This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 265 61

I can't agree more! I bought an acoustic 10 years ago in Tokyo Japan that weighted 88g. When paired with MXP/Rakza 7, it feels very solid. Very little vibration (not hollow). The sound is very crisp. 10 years later (today), I bought a Large Handle acoustic from TT11 because I don't like the small handle. It weights 90g, paired with Fastarc G1 on both sides - it feels completely different! It feels hollow and lots of vibration. The sound is also hollow. It doesn't feel as powerful (solid) as the old one. I am so disappointed...

Happy to find someone who feels the same - others rarely mention/notice this. Do you think the vast difference is due to the rubbers I put? Or is the quality of acoustic becomes much worse over the course of 10 years?

G1 on both sides tend to have that effect. I love G1 on my forehand and thought i'd use it on both sides. Once I did that, blade felt light and funny. The opposite of solid.
    So yeah, change one side of your rubber to sometihng else.

The Following User Likes virtuososiu's Post:

isolator

This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 77 230
    K
    This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 230 77
    In matter of fact I spend quite some time on some particular blades trying to find a combination of rubbers which will give me the feeling I once had... especially on all-wood. The easiest way is to use always the same rubbers but still it may end up differently if I use another glue

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345