Nittaku acoustic blade - any good?

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
I feel like the only people concerned with equipment are those with internet access & expendable money lol. When I started playing there was a guy at work selling 729 Bombs for $7-10, and we thought that was expensive. Then I bought my first BTY premade for $25 and thought I was insane. Yet here I am 8 years later with a wealth of knowledge on equipment that I’ll probably never see or touch. Im pretty good at sticking with something for a long while before I move on. The problem is planning to move on until I find that “forever bat”.

I'll add to your nice post that since we improve or at least change, there doesn't necessarily need to be a "forever bat", it's most important to have a decent "right now bat" :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
seems you are correct. I transfer and glued the Moristo to the my other acoustic which is a Tenaly that has a Tenergy 80 on its fh. My wrist didnt wobble, if it does its minimal and controllable compared when I'm using the fastarc G-1. TT is really expensive..i have 8 blades right now and still figuring what equipment is really to use. Planning to buy Nittaku Acoustic Carbon just to compare it apple to apple.

Reactions: thomas.pong
says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
seems you are correct. I transfer and glued the Moristo to the my other acoustic which is a Tenaly that has a Tenergy 80 on its fh. My wrist didnt wobble, if it does its minimal and controllable compared when I'm using the fastarc G-1. TT is really expensive..i have 8 blades right now and still figuring what equipment is really to use. Planning to buy Nittaku Acoustic Carbon just to compare it apple to apple.

Yea, T80 is less hard, heavy and more controlable than G-1. You might even benefit further from going down in thickness or switching to a slighly less hard rubber such as T05 FX or T80 FX, though I'd get those in max for FH rather than in 1.9 otherwise you gain a lot of control but lose too much speed. Also, I was wondering, is your grip light or tense? There could something to it too.

TT can be expensive indeed, especially if you start amassing blades like me! haha. I tend to buy them used to test when I can and resale the ones than don't suit me. I have a Nittaku Acoustic Carbon LG ST for sale if you want, though shipping might be expensive to Australia. It's quite faster than the regular Acoustic but still has good control for a carbon outer blade.

Reactions: splasher78
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Yea, T80 is less hard, heavy and more controlable than G-1. You might even benefit further from going down in thickness or switching to a slighly less hard rubber such as T05 FX or T80 FX, though I'd get those in max for FH rather than in 1.9 otherwise you gain a lot of control but lose too much speed. Also, I was wondering, is your grip light or tense? There could something to it too.

TT can be expensive indeed, especially if you start amassing blades like me! haha. I tend to buy them used to test when I can and resale the ones than don't suit me. I have a Nittaku Acoustic Carbon LG ST for sale if you want, though shipping might be expensive to Australia. It's quite faster than the regular Acoustic but still has good control for a carbon outer blade.

My Grip is loose..if i hold the blade to tight i become stiff. I'd tried the fx but i hate the feeling because of it's dwelling time. I have tried Rakza 7 and soft before. How much are you willing to sell the Carbon? I have a Joola Emotion and i like its control and sweet spot but nothing compares to Acoustic.

I couldn't agree with you more! I have almost the same experience. First I was testing out of curiosity, then "progressed" to testing methodically as you put it. Now that my technique is improving, the more I'm realizing and experiencing that different setups are making less of a difference than before. With a little adjustment, i'm able to produce the same quality shots than the last setup, granted the rubbers I prefer are inverted/offensive/hard-ish sponge. I've no interest in trying pips or anti-spin. YET! Thanks again for the input. I can't stress enough the importance of actual training vs equipment which is so easy to get caught up with in this sport. And same to you have fun! Train hard as well, that's the fastest way to improve imo. Lastly, I love this sport so much that win or lose I still have a blast!

Having fun is #1 so you got your priorities right! I'd say improving is #2 because it just makes the game more fun.

I changed equipment a lot when I first started playing and often played with setups that were way too fast for me and hindered my progress, but it was fun and a learning curve in-and-out of itself. I've kept on testing since but more methodically and more out of curiosity rather than to find something "better", especially in the off-season so it wouldn't affect my performance in the league and tournaments, although I'm testing less and less as time goes by. It's helped me figure out what equipment was best suited for me along the way and gain a lot of equipment knowledge that I've been able to pass on especially to players at my club so it wasn't in vain.

It's good that you're training 1-2 times a week one-on-one with a coach and doing a lot of practice drills around these sessions too, you'll improve a lot faster and equipment is less of an issue with this kind of training. I did this a lot the first 3 years I started and still do but spend a lot more time competing now. Your current setup of Rosewood with H3 and R42 seems pretty appropriate.

Anyway keep on having fun and training hard!

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
I couldn't agree with you more! I have almost the same experience. First I was testing out of curiosity, then "progressed" to testing methodically as you put it. Now that my technique is improving, the more I'm realizing and experiencing that different setups are making less of a difference than before. With a little adjustment, i'm able to produce the same quality shots than the last setup, granted the rubbers I prefer are inverted/offensive/hard-ish sponge. I've no interest in trying pips or anti-spin. YET! Thanks again for the input. I can't stress enough the importance of actual training vs equipment which is so easy to get caught up with in this sport. And same to you have fun! Train hard as well, that's the fastest way to improve imo. Lastly, I love this sport so much that win or lose I still have a blast!

One thing I'll add when choosing/testing/sticking with a setup especially as as beginner or advanced beginner level is to pay close attention to how equipment feels and plays in real gameplay with close attention to the short game, serve returns and opening shots which are key transitional part of the game, or when you're out-of-position, rather than how a setup feels in rallies, set drills, multiball... only then when your skills are fully tested and you're forced into situations you're still not fully comfortable with you can tell if this particular equipment is suited for you and can do for you vs. how it may be hindering aspects of your game.

Last edited:
Man! You hit it spot on Thomas. Couldn't agree with you more. Perfect example is in the past I made the exact mistake of misleading myself when trying new gear during TRAINING and friendly matches thinking "oh this great!" Until tournament/league night where matches actually count, boy was I in for a rude awakening. Hitting with a good training buddy and going "all out" trying crazy shots during practice is COMPLETELY different from playing in a real sanctioned match. Case and point, I frequently get shots in practice play where they're literally like unreal! AnD I always say "damn I wish i can do that in a match!" Thanks again for the great advice.
One thing I'll add when choosing/testing/sticking with a setup especially as as beginner or advanced beginner level is to pay close attention to how equipment feels and plays in real gameplay with close attention to the short game, serve returns and opening shots which are key transitional part of the game, or when you're out-of-position, rather than how a setup feels in rallies, set drills, multiball... only then when your skills are fully tested and you're forced into situations you're still not fully comfortable with you can tell if this particular equipment is suited for you and can do for you vs. how it may be hindering aspects of your game.

Totally agree with you 1000% Andre! As long as we're being honest with ourselves (which clearly you are!) that its not just about the equipment. It's ok to geek out and EJ to whoevers hearts content. I actually encourage people to try different gear to see what works and what doesnt. thats part of the process. Most importantly besides having fun is whatever the equipment anyone ends up with it should always make them want to play. Thats just my 2 cents. Take care!
LOL. This forum is entertaining. I think table-tennis among the sports is one that really lends itself well to players who like being geeks, EJ or how you want to call it. Some people do seem to be not touched by these issues and indeed are happy to just focus on playing with the same kit.. others like me - and I see I’m not alone!- just cannot help getting passionate about equipment, despite of knowing very well that it’s not about the equipment - but it’s part of the fun indeed. It’s great to be passionate but also not take things too seriously!

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
Man! You hit it spot on Thomas. Couldn't agree with you more. Perfect example is in the past I made the exact mistake of misleading myself when trying new gear during TRAINING and friendly matches thinking "oh this great!" Until tournament/league night where matches actually count, boy was I in for a rude awakening. Hitting with a good training buddy and going "all out" trying crazy shots during practice is COMPLETELY different from playing in a real sanctioned match. Case and point, I frequently get shots in practice play where they're literally like unreal! AnD I always say "damn I wish i can do that in a match!" Thanks again for the great advice.

You're welcome! Great sharing with you! Always good to talk with people who're as excited about the game as we are.

I've mislead myself many times in the past when it came to trying equipment, it's part of the learning curve. Now I continue to mislead myself here and there with many techniques I'm trying to improve but we get there slowly and surely by putting in the time and effort!

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
My Grip is loose..if i hold the blade to tight i become stiff. I'd tried the fx but i hate the feeling because of it's dwelling time. I have tried Rakza 7 and soft before. How much are you willing to sell the Carbon? I have a Joola Emotion and i like its control and sweet spot but nothing compares to Acoustic.

Loose grip is the way to go, you only need to tighten a bit at ball contact then loose again.

Joola Emotion is good too but the feeling of the Acoustic is unreal indeed.

I'll check how much shipping is to Australia tomorrow and get back to you via PM.

I really appreciate your honesty! I think the more honest players are with themselves and know what their limitations are at the moment it makes it easier to hone in on what needs work and that is how to improve better imo. Slowly but surely is the way. There is a saying in the marines corps when assembling weapons the best way to do it is slowly. The saying goes: Slow is Smooth and Smooth is Fast. Which makes total sense to me. :) I don't mind taking my time to improve. You can't rush in this sport especially and expect to see fast results. And I admit I have the problem of driving too hard! My output is 65-70% on a normal fh drive when it really should be 20-30% energy. No wonder why i get lower back pain at times. I need to learn "control" at the moment, not all out 100% power which is what i've been foolishly doing. When I learn a new stroke consistently, say a FH loop for example, It's such a good feeling that I want to do it all the time which makes me over do it which is wrong. My coach tells me to focus now on control, technique and foot work. Totally opened my eyes to another level of this sport. I love this game dearly,,, Best of luck and stay loopy!

M

You're welcome! Great sharing with you! Always good to talk with people who're as excited about the game as we are.

I've mislead myself many times in the past when it came to trying equipment, it's part of the learning curve. Now I continue to mislead myself here and there with many techniques I'm trying to improve but we get there slowly and surely by putting in the time and effort!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
I'm still stuck on choosing the right blade for me. dont know what to use considering to have 7 blades in total :( I know all of you will suggest to better stick to one and work it out from there. It's just that I love to try different combination to really know and feel its distinct difference.

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
I'm still stuck on choosing the right blade for me. dont know what to use considering to have 7 blades in total :( I know all of you will suggest to better stick to one and work it out from there. It's just that I love to try different combination to really know and feel its distinct difference.

How long have you been playing? If less than 3-4 years, a 5-ply limba OFF- blade is the answer right now. Many to choose from: Butterfly Primorac, Korbel, Nittaku Acoustic, Stiga Offensive Classic, Azalea, Tibhar Chila, Stratus Power Wood, Xiom Offensive S, Yasaka Sweden Extra...

Last edited:
says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
I really appreciate your honesty! I think the more honest players are with themselves and know what their limitations are at the moment it makes it easier to hone in on what needs work and that is how to improve better imo. Slowly but surely is the way. There is a saying in the marines corps when assembling weapons the best way to do it is slowly. The saying goes: Slow is Smooth and Smooth is Fast. Which makes total sense to me. :) I don't mind taking my time to improve. You can't rush in this sport especially and expect to see fast results. And I admit I have the problem of driving too hard! My output is 65-70% on a normal fh drive when it really should be 20-30% energy. No wonder why i get lower back pain at times. I need to learn "control" at the moment, not all out 100% power which is what i've been foolishly doing. When I learn a new stroke consistently, say a FH loop for example, It's such a good feeling that I want to do it all the time which makes me over do it which is wrong. My coach tells me to focus now on control, technique and foot work. Totally opened my eyes to another level of this sport. I love this game dearly,,, Best of luck and stay loopy!

M

Smooth strokes / not-overdoing it produce the best results in terms of spin and speed.

One thing to keep it mind is that power in TT (and many sports for that matter) comes from the legs and core, not from your arm swing, you only accelerate your forearm at ball contact and tighten your grip slightly.

Chinese coaches like to hammer in the philosophy of "Power from the ground". So footwork is not just important in order to move to the ball and for good placement, it's ever so essential/primordial in generating spin and speed.

I tend to jump or stand too often at the end of some shots, I see many clubmates do it too, and it either reduces the quality of the shot exponentially or the ball often goes out. I try to be mindful of that and make some of my younger teammates aware of it too, and it's greatly improved the quality of our game since a lot of the upper-body technique is already there. One thing that helps is putting most of my weight on the front 1/3 or 1/2 of my feet, I move quicker, keep my legs bent through the shots, don't lift my feet. I sometime train with a very good and demanding defender at my club and it really helps, feels great to topspin return and attack 10-20 heavy backspin shots in a row and place them on different areas of the table when I stay on my feet and legs.

Last edited:
That's the EXACT same thing my coach tells me. Regarding smooth strokes and foot work. Sounds easy but difficult in practice. But that's why we train... Now I'm focusing on my frame as my coach refers to it. It's basically my stance with weight on balls of feet like you said and feeling both quad muscles flex just a bit but not to much. Slight lean forward. Etc etc etc I've noticed now almost 80-90% of balls stay on the table when my stroke is smooth and not 100% power loop or smash. It's all about control and footwork for me right now.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2011
Agreed with fellow Acoustic lovers. I have it in Large ST handle, no carbon. I really do love it. control is great, though may argue Violin is even better, but the Limba outer on Acoustic is really nice, real good for controlled looping.
Pair one side with a modern fast rubber like a MXS, then you have a really Dangerous weapon

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
Agreed with fellow Acoustic lovers. I have it in Large ST handle, no carbon. I really do love it. control is great, though may argue Violin is even better, but the Limba outer on Acoustic is really nice, real good for controlled looping.
Pair one side with a modern fast rubber like a MXS, then you have a really Dangerous weapon

Yea Violin is softer, Acoustic is faster, both great blades!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Read 3 reviews
I've been using my acoustic for about 4 years now thanks to Carl who suggested it to me and I like it a lot. Mine is a bit head heavy, but I haven't been able to justify switching. I get enough speed and short game feels better than anything else. Though I will say I have not tried much else. If you look back at that thread I made when I got the recommendation I was tempted to get something very quick.. I'm so glad I listened to the advice of people on this forum, especially Carl in this case.

I have tried another acoustic with the large handle as I wanted to have a backup blade, sadly it felt completely different.. even though it's supposed to be the same blade. I have also tried a viscaria, pretty different feeling. I felt like there was less arc with the viscaria, the ball goes down more. I felt like I had less margin of error and that I needed to do everything more perfectly.

Equipment may be somewhat important.. but not that important. Especially for us amateurs, we should just get used to something imo. A guy at my club is very good and can hit ridiculously hard and he uses a Maze Performance blade which weighs something like 165g including rubbers.

That said, of course you can experiment and try to find what you like.. but it is easy to get obsessed with equipment. My advice would be to find something that feels comfortable and then stick with that. Or if you find it enjoyable to try lots of things then do that. This is just my experience :)