Nittaku acoustic blade - any good?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2018
How much more 'feel' does an acoustic have compared to a viscaria? I have heard polarizing opinions on the viscaria, some say crisp while others say muted.

This user has no status.
It is true that the plastic ball has resulted in several changes to the way the game is played. Unless you play at the top level of the sport - international level, national level - the Acoustic will be great for you even with the plastic ball. Major changes in the way the game is played are less and less noticeable as we go down the ladder.

Ma Long used it. There's no need for faster for a mere amateur.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Read 1 reviews
Ma Long used it. There's no need for faster for a mere amateur.

Depends on your style. Some players rely mostly on placement and consistency to win points, some rely more on power. Viscaria transfers power more efficiently than Acoustic so for equivalent effort you generate more speed and spin. The price you pay is shorter dwell time due to the koto/alc, so Viscaria requires more precise timing and brush contact to get the control of a high spin to speed ratio. The shorter dwell plus the alc damping of vibrations gives Viscaria a more abbreviated, muted sensation on contact. Some people (like me) prefer it, some prefer the stronger feedback sensation of Acoustic. Both blades are superb, among the best of their kind.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Hi to all

Acoustic user here for almost 2 months. I got a tenaly handle and a flared one. All i can say it's performance is remarkable.

My flared setup is a mirror of Mima Ito only that is not a carbon.

My only problem is that sometimes my wrist wobbles everytime I hit the ball. I dont know if it is because of the vibration. Do you think a carbon version will eliminate the wobbling problem in my wrist?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks

One of my all time favorite 5 ply allwood blades. I had the ST handle LG version. Sold it to a club member on the condition that he'd sell it back to me if he ever wanted to sell it. I miss mine dearly. But i'm just getting over my experimentation phase as a new player trying different blade rubber setups and the Acoustic still remains one of the best blades out of the approximately 13+ blades i've tried. Enjoy your Acoustic it is a FANTASTIC blade.

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
Hi to all

Acoustic user here for almost 2 months. I got a tenaly handle and a flared one. All i can say it's performance is remarkable.

My flared setup is a mirror of Mima Ito only that is not a carbon.

My only problem is that sometimes my wrist wobbles everytime I hit the ball. I dont know if it is because of the vibration. Do you think a carbon version will eliminate the wobbling problem in my wrist?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks

Maybe your setup is too fast / hard for you. It doesn't come from the blade as it's a softer 5-ply allwood. Could be because of your G-1, a hard, fast and heavy rubber, your Moristo SP, a fast short pips or both.

Reactions: splasher78
says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
One of my all time favorite 5 ply allwood blades. I had the ST handle LG version. Sold it to a club member on the condition that he'd sell it back to me if he ever wanted to sell it. I miss mine dearly. But i'm just getting over my experimentation phase as a new player trying different blade rubber setups and the Acoustic still remains one of the best blades out of the approximately 13+ blades i've tried. Enjoy your Acoustic it is a FANTASTIC blade.

Wow, you have a very fast setup for a beginner, especially rubbers-wise. Hope you train often and one-on-one with a coach.

Wow, you have a very fast setup for a beginner, especially rubbers-wise. Hope you train often and one-on-one with a coach.
I actually started with a STIGA Allround and Yasaka Mark V for about 8 months. Then VISCARIA for about 4 months with H3 and Barracuda BH, Then, slowed it down a bit with a Hurricane King 1 with H3 and Barracuda. Started to get my technique consistent, then "upgraded" to the Acoustic. If you are referring to the setup in my profile. ZX-Gear IN and Extra 15. Yes its a bit fast for my liking but I am adapting to it. Also I'm an EJ so I frequently am trying different setups which i know is dumb if I want to improve faster. And to answer your question. I train 1-2 times a week with a one on one coach and the rest of the time practice drills with players above and below my skill level. FYI I'm now using a ROSEWOOD Vii With H3 provincial on FH and Rasanter 42 on BH. NOt to mention i've tried several others in between! HAHAHA. But that's part of the fun for me thomas.pong! I still get beaten in matches but I also am winning more. Either way, win or lose I have so much fun playing and thats what matters most for me. Thanks for your input.

Maybe your setup is too fast / hard for you. It doesn't come from the blade as it's a softer 5-ply allwood. Could be because of your G-1, a hard, fast and heavy rubber, your Moristo SP, a fast short pips or both.

thomas.pong is correct on too fast/hard setup. Also, if i may chime in, it could be that he/she is not tightening their grip on impact. This happens to me (once in a blue moon) when I'm completely tired at the end of a training or play session and I'm weak/lazy, I know its time to take a break or stop playing when I get so tired that my grip is weak and I'm trying to drive or counter I do get a hint of wrist wobble.

I've had both with the same rubbers. Here's my take, It's not which has more 'feel' per say. I'll try and keep it simple for understandings sake, Viscaria feels crisp yes on more powerful shots like backhand loops and smashing, but in short/over the table play it's less 'crisp' when flicking etc. because of the arylate imo. The Acoustic OTOH is an all wood blade which naturally will have more 'feel' compared to the composite blade (VIS). Although this is not always the case without going off course, there are carbon/composite blades that have more 'feel' than all wood blades. HOWEVER, the Acoustic I had was just as 'crisp' as the viscaria on the same shots and felt 'dull' in short play too. Also note, no two blades of the exact same make and vintage will feel exactly the same. That's just the nature of wood. I suggest you try both and see which you prefer. I think it mainly comes down to preference and what works for you. Just don't get too caught up in equipment and focus on training and technique, footwork etc. There are players at my club who can care less about equipment and play with a setup that cost $35-40 bucks at most and consistently win EVERY TIME. I kid you not. Take it from me. I learned the expensive way. Always remember this: Equipment can NEVER TRUMP SKILL!!!
How much more 'feel' does an acoustic have compared to a viscaria? I have heard polarizing opinions on the viscaria, some say crisp while others say muted.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2018
I actually started with a STIGA Allround and Yasaka Mark V for about 8 months. Then VISCARIA for about 4 months with H3 and Barracuda BH, Then, slowed it down a bit with a Hurricane King 1 with H3 and Barracuda. Started to get my technique consistent, then "upgraded" to the Acoustic. If you are referring to the setup in my profile. ZX-Gear IN and Extra 15. Yes its a bit fast for my liking but I am adapting to it. Also I'm an EJ so I frequently am trying different setups which i know is dumb if I want to improve faster. And to answer your question. I train 1-2 times a week with a one on one coach and the rest of the time practice drills with players above and below my skill level. FYI I'm now using a ROSEWOOD Vii With H3 provincial on FH and Rasanter 42 on BH. NOt to mention i've tried several others in between! HAHAHA. But that's part of the fun for me thomas.pong! I still get beaten in matches but I also am winning more. Either way, win or lose I have so much fun playing and thats what matters most for me. Thanks for your input.

Pretty down to earth EJ if you ask me. Have fun man!

says Thanks for the suggestion Splasher! I was going to try...
says Thanks for the suggestion Splasher! I was going to try...
Apr 2019
LOL. This forum is entertaining. I think table-tennis among the sports is one that really lends itself well to players who like being geeks, EJ or how you want to call it. Some people do seem to be not touched by these issues and indeed are happy to just focus on playing with the same kit.. others like me - and I see I’m not alone!- just cannot help getting passionate about equipment, despite of knowing very well that it’s not about the equipment - but it’s part of the fun indeed. It’s great to be passionate but also not take things too seriously!

Last edited:
says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016

Having fun is #1 so you got your priorities right! I'd say improving is #2 because it just makes the game more fun.

I changed equipment a lot when I first started playing and often played with setups that were way too fast for me and hindered my progress, but it was fun and a learning curve in-and-out of itself. I've kept on testing since but more methodically and more out of curiosity rather than to find something "better", especially in the off-season so it wouldn't affect my performance in the league and tournaments, although I'm testing less and less as time goes by. It's helped me figure out what equipment was best suited for me along the way and gain a lot of equipment knowledge that I've been able to pass on especially to players at my club so it wasn't in vain.

It's good that you're training 1-2 times a week one-on-one with a coach and doing a lot of practice drills around these sessions too, you'll improve a lot faster and equipment is less of an issue with this kind of training. I did this a lot the first 3 years I started and still do but spend a lot more time competing now. Your current setup of Rosewood with H3 and R42 seems pretty appropriate.

Anyway keep on having fun and training hard!

Last edited:
Reactions: lVegita
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019
I feel like the only people concerned with equipment are those with internet access & expendable money lol. When I started playing there was a guy at work selling 729 Bombs for $7-10, and we thought that was expensive. Then I bought my first BTY premade for $25 and thought I was insane. Yet here I am 8 years later with a wealth of knowledge on equipment that I’ll probably never see or touch. Im pretty good at sticking with something for a long while before I move on. The problem is planning to move on until I find that “forever bat”.