Back to Forum
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 87
  1. alas26 is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 81 231
    A
    alas26 is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 231 81
    #61

    Nittaku acoustic blade - any good?

    Quote Originally Posted by thomas.pong
    Yea Violin is softer, Acoustic is faster, both great blades!
    I keep hearing mixed reviews on violin vs. acoustic hardness. My impression is that the acoustic has a softer feel while the violin has a harder feel. I think overall, the violin has more flex though. This is all speculation as I’ve only had experience with my acoustic(s) and read a lot on the violin.

    I guess you can say I’m addicted to the acoustic as I have two now (89 and 88g), as one went through some serious table wounds, I ended up with a back up.

    My total set up weights are different between the two (C. Pen) as the rubbers are slightly different:
    -203 g H3PTO /G1
    -193 g TG2 Neo/Skyline 3-60

    I really love the feel and grab on passive play and the kick that I can generate on harder shots. That said, I’m really intrigued to try the violin or Virtuoso -, as I hear they have similar or even better feel.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    The Following User Likes alas26's Post:

    nivekkan

    Last edited by alas26; 10-22-2019 at 06:04 AM.

  2. thomas.pong is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 761 1,608
    thomas.pong's Avatar
    thomas.pong is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 1,608 761
    #62
    Quote Originally Posted by alas26
    I keep hearing mixed reviews on violin vs. acoustic hardness. My impression is that the acoustic has a softer feel while the violin has a harder feel. I think overall, the violin has more flex though. This is all speculation as I’ve only had experience with my acoustic(s) and read a lot on the violin.

    I guess you can say I’m addicted to the acoustic as I have two now (89 and 88g), as one went through some serious table wounds, I ended up with a back up.

    My total set up weights are different between the two (C. Pen) as the rubbers are slightly different:
    -203 g H3PTO /G1
    -193 g TG2 Neo/Skyline 3-60

    I really love the feel and grab on passive play and the kick that I can generate on harder shots. That said, I’m really intrigued to try the violin or Virtuoso -, as I hear they have similar or even better feel.
    The Violin is definitely softer and slower, more controllable. Hard to tell which has more flex, I'd say they're probably similar, but I felt it more in the Acoustic since you really feel the ball sink then spring out.

    The Virtuoso is very similar to the Acoustic, great feel perhaps even better, it also packs more punch.

    The Following User Likes thomas.pong's Post:

    splasher78


  3. BlueSkies is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 44 50
    BlueSkies's Avatar
    BlueSkies is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 50 44
    #63
    I only have the Carbon Inner versions of Violin and Acoustic, so the comparison is a little different.
    Would not be surprised if it doesn't translate 1:1 to the regular versions.

    I have both with Rakza 7 FH and BH and tried them several times back to back.
    They are bloody close. I would say the Acoustic have just a noticeable more amount of "feel". Then again, feel is super subjective. Maybe to someone else the "feel" of the Violin is preferable. Maybe due to Limba outer, I prefer it. Most of the blades I have are Limba. So for sure used to the Limba feel.

    Regarding speed I can't say that one is that much faster than the other.

    Absolutely love the blades though.
    Name:  twins2.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  95.4 KB
    Name:  twins3.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  94.9 KB

    The Following 3 Users Like BlueSkies's Post:

    nivekkan, thomas.pong and 1 other


  4. nivekkan is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Established TTD Member 28 161
    nivekkan's Avatar
    nivekkan is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Established TTD Member 161 28
    #64
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueSkies
    I only have the Carbon Inner versions of Violin and Acoustic, so the comparison is a little different.
    Would not be surprised if it doesn't translate 1:1 to the regular versions.

    I have both with Rakza 7 FH and BH and tried them several times back to back.
    They are bloody close. I would say the Acoustic have just a noticeable more amount of "feel". Then again, feel is super subjective. Maybe to someone else the "feel" of the Violin is preferable. Maybe due to Limba outer, I prefer it. Most of the blades I have are Limba. So for sure used to the Limba feel.

    Regarding speed I can't say that one is that much faster than the other.

    Absolutely love the blades though.
    Name:  twins2.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  95.4 KB
    Name:  twins3.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  94.9 KB
    So you have both straight and flared. Which one do you like more? Are they the large handle version? If not do you think that they are too small?

  5. BlueSkies is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 44 50
    BlueSkies's Avatar
    BlueSkies is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 50 44
    #65
    Quote Originally Posted by nivekkan
    So you have both straight and flared. Which one do you like more? Are they the large handle version? If not do you think that they are too small?
    Correct.
    I prefer the straight one. As far as I'm aware the Violin is not available in the larger "LG Type" (Yet?) and my Acoustic is the normal smaller handle. I don't really enjoy large handles, so I don't mind the flared Acoustic handle at all. But I can see how others do.

    The straight win by a few percent. But I like both. The straight handle feels a bit more "meaty".

    Keep in mind that handles are highly personal. I have a female friend with quite small hands who prefer large handles and also friends with really big hands that prefer smaller handles such as the conical Stiga Kjell Johansson.

    EDIT: I am actually not 100% sure that the Violin and Acoustic handles are identical. But I would assume so.

    The Following User Likes BlueSkies's Post:

    nivekkan

    Last edited by BlueSkies; 10-22-2019 at 05:37 PM.

  6. JustANoob is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Established TTD Member 48 149
    J
    JustANoob is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Established TTD Member 149 48
    #66
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueSkies
    Correct.
    I prefer the straight one. As far as I'm aware the Violin is not available in the larger "LG Type" (Yet?).
    You mean this

    https://www.tabletennis11.com/other_...n-large-handle

    cause I've been drooling over it for a while

    The Following 2 Users Like JustANoob's Post:

    BlueSkies and nivekkan


  7. BlueSkies is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 44 50
    BlueSkies's Avatar
    BlueSkies is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 50 44
    #67
    Quote Originally Posted by JustANoob
    You mean this

    https://www.tabletennis11.com/other_...n-large-handle

    cause I've been drooling over it for a while
    Nice! Must have missed it.

    Unlike the Acoustic LG, It can't be found in the Nittaku Catalogue.
    http://falx.se/share/Nittaku.png

    The Following User Likes BlueSkies's Post:

    nivekkan


  8. trumpet_guy is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 137 261
    T
    trumpet_guy is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 261 137
    #68
    Regular handle Acoustic is on sale at tabletennis11 now for $112.99 USD

    The Following User Likes trumpet_guy's Post:

    thomas.pong


  9. isolator is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 3 11
    I
    isolator is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 11 3

    User Info Menu


    May 2021
    UK
    11
    3
    0
    Read 0 Reviews
    #69
    Quote Originally Posted by Richie
    I've been using my acoustic for about 4 years now thanks to Carl who suggested it to me and I like it a lot. Mine is a bit head heavy, but I haven't been able to justify switching. I get enough speed and short game feels better than anything else. Though I will say I have not tried much else. If you look back at that thread I made when I got the recommendation I was tempted to get something very quick.. I'm so glad I listened to the advice of people on this forum, especially Carl in this case.

    I have tried another acoustic with the large handle as I wanted to have a backup blade, sadly it felt completely different.. even though it's supposed to be the same blade. I have also tried a viscaria, pretty different feeling. I felt like there was less arc with the viscaria, the ball goes down more. I felt like I had less margin of error and that I needed to do everything more perfectly.

    Equipment may be somewhat important.. but not that important. Especially for us amateurs, we should just get used to something imo. A guy at my club is very good and can hit ridiculously hard and he uses a Maze Performance blade which weighs something like 165g including rubbers.

    That said, of course you can experiment and try to find what you like.. but it is easy to get obsessed with equipment. My advice would be to find something that feels comfortable and then stick with that. Or if you find it enjoyable to try lots of things then do that. This is just my experience

    I can't agree more! I bought an acoustic 10 years ago in Tokyo Japan that weighted 88g. When paired with MXP/Rakza 7, it feels very solid. Very little vibration (not hollow). The sound is very crisp. 10 years later (today), I bought a Large Handle acoustic from TT11 because I don't like the small handle. It weights 90g, paired with Fastarc G1 on both sides - it feels completely different! It feels hollow and lots of vibration. The sound is also hollow. It doesn't feel as powerful (solid) as the old one. I am so disappointed...

    Happy to find someone who feels the same - others rarely mention/notice this. Do you think the vast difference is due to the rubbers I put? Or is the quality of acoustic becomes much worse over the course of 10 years?


    Last edited by isolator; 05-08-2021 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Attached my beloved acoustics.

  10. UpSideDownCarl is offline
    says I like to hit Heavy Topspin
     
    Super Moderator 15,809 14,224
    UpSideDownCarl's Avatar
    UpSideDownCarl is offline
    says I like to hit Heavy Topspin
     
    Super Moderator 14,224 15,809
    #70
    Quote Originally Posted by thomas.pong
    The Violin is definitely softer and slower, more controllable. Hard to tell which has more flex, I'd say they're probably similar, but I felt it more in the Acoustic since you really feel the ball sink then spring out.

    The Virtuoso is very similar to the Acoustic, great feel perhaps even better, it also packs more punch.
    Isn't the White Ash top ply of the Violin notably harder than the Limba top ply of the Acoustic?

    I know you posted this a while ago. But I know you are still around. So.....

    Construction:

    Acoustic: Limba-Limba-Tung Tree-Limba-Limba
    Violin: White Ash-White Ash-Kiri-White Ash-White Ash

    When I tried the Violin, I thought it was slower, but with a harder feel. Great flex though. It is years since I have tried either an Acoustic or a Violin though. So, memory.....it can be faulty.

    The Following User Likes UpSideDownCarl's Post:

    latej

    Setup 1: Blade by Nate: Vortex Spin Machine, FH Evolution MX-K, BH Evolution FX-P
    Setup 2: OSP Virtuoso Plus, FH Rasanter R 48, BH Rasanter R 48
    Spin is Everything

  11. Gozo is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 35 57
    G
    Gozo is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 57 35
    #71
    Quote Originally Posted by MJB999
    I'm thinking of purchasing this blade. I've seen a few reviews and it looks positive.

    Anybody else using or tried it?

    I also wanted to know if it has more control than Viscaria and Ma Long 3 blades.

    Thanks

    Yes I have tried it. One of my club-mate has it and he puts two sheets of Chinese tacky rubber; 729 brand IIRC on the blade. One rubber being hard for FH use and the other soft for BH use.

    I played one game ( best of five ) with it and these are my thoughts:

    1) Blocking is amazing as it is extremely controllable. Wonderful feeling she has.
    2) It is not a fast blade and you have to work for it with proper technique if you want good speed. It does not do the work for you.
    3) His set-up is probably over 200g from my feeling. It is very balance and has good feeling.
    4) It is not the most powerful blade on its own, you rely must use your own power to bring out the best in the blade. Play with Gusto! I shall say.
    Hope this help, friend.

    Last edited by Gozo; 05-08-2021 at 05:52 AM. Reason: grammar

  12. UpSideDownCarl is offline
    says I like to hit Heavy Topspin
     
    Super Moderator 15,809 14,224
    UpSideDownCarl's Avatar
    UpSideDownCarl is offline
    says I like to hit Heavy Topspin
     
    Super Moderator 14,224 15,809
    #72
    Quote Originally Posted by Gozo

    Yes I have tried it. One of my club-mate has it and he puts two sheets of Chinese tacky rubber; 729 brand IIRC on the blade. One rubber being hard for FH use and the other soft for BH use.

    I played one game ( best of five ) with it and these are my thoughts:

    1) Blocking is amazing as it is extremely controllable. Wonderful feeling she has.
    2) It is not a fast blade and you have to work for it with proper technique if you want good speed. It does not do the work for you.
    3) His set-up is probably over 200g from my feeling. It is very balance and has good feeling.
    4) It is not the most powerful blade on its own, you rely must use your own power to bring out the best in the blade. Play with Gusto! I shall say.
    Hope this help, friend.

    If you think you are giving the OP info, you should look at the dates. This thread was started in 2018. Most likely, in the past 2.5 years, the OP has his answer. If you are posting for general info, that is fine.

    Setup 1: Blade by Nate: Vortex Spin Machine, FH Evolution MX-K, BH Evolution FX-P
    Setup 2: OSP Virtuoso Plus, FH Rasanter R 48, BH Rasanter R 48
    Spin is Everything

  13. Gozo is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 35 57
    G
    Gozo is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 57 35
    #73
    Quote Originally Posted by UpSideDownCarl

    If you think you are giving the OP info, you should look at the dates. This thread was started in 2018. Most likely, in the past 2.5 years, the OP has his answer. If you are posting for general info, that is fine.

    Ha ha ha... sorry. Didn't notice the date.

    I just tried the blade not too long ago. So the feeling and memory is still fresh in my mind.

    The Following User Likes Gozo's Post:

    UpSideDownCarl


  14. alas26 is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 81 231
    A
    alas26 is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 231 81
    #74
    Quote Originally Posted by isolator

    I can't agree more! I bought an acoustic 10 years ago in Tokyo Japan that weighted 88g. When paired with MXP/Rakza 7, it feels very solid. Very little vibration (not hollow). The sound is very crisp. 10 years later (today), I bought a Large Handle acoustic from TT11 because I don't like the small handle. It weights 90g, paired with Fastarc G1 on both sides - it feels completely different! It feels hollow and lots of vibration. The sound is also hollow. It doesn't feel as powerful (solid) as the old one. I am so disappointed...

    Happy to find someone who feels the same - others rarely mention/notice this. Do you think the vast difference is due to the rubbers I put? Or is the quality of acoustic becomes much worse over the course of 10 years?


    I would think the vast difference is with the rubber change.
    I think G1 feels way different than MXP and R7.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  15. isolator is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 3 11
    I
    isolator is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 11 3

    User Info Menu


    May 2021
    UK
    11
    3
    0
    Read 0 Reviews
    #75
    Quote Originally Posted by alas26
    I would think the vast difference is with the rubber change.
    I think G1 feels way different than MXP and R7.

    I see. MXP was too fast for me, so I chose G1. I had never thought rubber can affect a blade's characteristic so much. I thought G1 and MXP are in the same category - hard tensor.

    Anyway, despite the vast difference, the new acoustic is still a very good blade. It gave what I wanted: more stability by the G1, and by the large handle which allows me to swing with a relaxed palm without the racket moving around too much (which changes the racket angle and hinders stability). It still has notably more feel than my other Infinity VPS (with Razka Z and G1).


  16. vik2000 is offline
    says Spin for life
     
    Advanced TTD Member 227 406
    V
    vik2000 is offline
    says Spin for life
     
    Advanced TTD Member 406 227
    #76

    Interesting to read this... The only Acoustic I have is the large handle so I can't really compare it to how it feels like relative to normal handle. It surprises me to read such difference in feel between two Acoustic with different handles. I love my large handle Acoustic and I own several other blades including Long 5, ZJK ALC, Mizutani ZLC, Treiber Z, etc. I have to say Acoustic is my favorite one out of all as it strikes the most optimal balance between control, speed and spin.

    The Following User Likes vik2000's Post:

    MK73


  17. Kolev is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 77 230
    K
    Kolev is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 230 77
    #77
    I've never tried Acoustic and wonder how it behaves when flat hitting. I have and had quite a few 5ply OFF blades and all of them behave differently when I occasionally have to smash. Any input on the subject?

  18. Gozo is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 35 57
    G
    Gozo is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 57 35
    #78
    Quote Originally Posted by Kolev
    I've never tried Acoustic and wonder how it behaves when flat hitting. I have and had quite a few 5ply OFF blades and all of them behave differently when I occasionally have to smash. Any input on the subject?

    Not good for flat hitting, it is a looping blade.

    The Following User Likes Gozo's Post:

    UpSideDownCarl


  19. vik2000 is offline
    says Spin for life
     
    Advanced TTD Member 227 406
    V
    vik2000 is offline
    says Spin for life
     
    Advanced TTD Member 406 227
    #79

    You need a stiffer blade if you're a flat hitter. Acoustic is for looping.

    The Following User Likes vik2000's Post:

    UpSideDownCarl


  20. Kolev is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 77 230
    K
    Kolev is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 230 77
    #80
    I am definitely a looper but from time to time smash some careless returns. Recently I found myself experimenting more and more with 5ply woods cause really enjoy the feeling, thus my curiosity about the Acoustic and maybe the Virtuoso+ .
    I've got the impression that those two sit on the top of the mountain of wooden blades and rule the public opinion

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Create a new Topic:
Title is required.