Service grip conflicts with my FH/BH loop grip

This user has no status.
So recently I've been trying to improve my service quality by increasing the amount of spin on my serves. To do this, I've found a pretty good way to do this where I cock my wrist back all the way for a pendulum serve, and it does make the serve very spinny. The problem is then when I go to FH loop or BH loop the next ball, my wrist is just not in the right position, it's too cocked upwards with the racket head facing a little bit too upwards for me. My typical FH and BH loop wrist position is one where the racket head is only slightly facing upwards at a 9:30 clock angle whereas after that spinny serve, my wrist is probably at a 10:30 angle. So the serve disrupts my muscle memory and feeling for FH/BH loops. What should I do, just sacrifice serve quality for consistency in my FH/BH or try to have two separate wrist positions for serving and attacking. I'm just not sure if in the long run my muscle memory will allow for me to switch between the two wrist positions seemlessly during a match. If you don't understand I'm really sorry because it's hard to explain and many people probably don't even think this deeply or aren't aware of their wrist positioning blah blah blah.

Excercise to serve with a more loose grip and wrist. When you are too tense it is difficult to recover to right stance and position.
Looser grip and wrist will give more spin too. Think about what should be your feet movement and stance after the service, the muscle memory should fit your stance with your arm and wrist position.

Reactions: toekneema
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Although you can cock your wrist to the max and let it rip during the serve... and still land a spinny serve if your timing is right... the reality is that one does not need the maximum range of wrist to make a spinny serve.

One simply needs an efficient whip and timing. Staying loose is important, as well as timing the movements to start the kinetic energy and amplify it with each step. A modified grip helps, like pinching very lightly with just the thumb and first finger a little higher than they normally are. On the recovery portion of the stroke, you loosen the thumb finger and blade slides down to give you your base position grip.

Reactions: toekneema
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Everything is hard when you first start doing it. Don't get discouraged.