Timo Boll ALC with DHS tin arc 5

This user has no status.
Dear mentor's

Recently I have bought a new Timo boll ALC with DHS tin arc 5 both side.

Previously I had owned one premade killerspin 800 along with nitro-z rubber both side. This paddle combination was good but seems very hard to control. I know almost every kind of shorts but I do not have enough control and confidence to do continuously. I am not of slow in return reaction and also I have poor footwork.

Now I am requesting would you please share you thoughts . Is Tim arc 5 with Timo boll ALC is right setup for me??

I like to flick in back hand during serve, fore hand normally push for long one like to loop or drive. Afraid to attack due to slow return ready position..

I am kind of between intermediate to biginner level player.

JST

This user has no status.

JST

This user has no status.
Nov 2017
Hi, if that premade bat was your first I assume your level will be closer to beginner then intermediate (no offense) and the usual advice is to stay with 5-ply all-wood blades with good control (ALL+ to OFF- speed range) and some reasonably soft controllable offensive rubbers for few years until you typically reach ~70% percentile in your country's ranking system.

There are literally dozens of Q&S on this exact topic on this forum and on any other TT forum you find on the internet so you can check it yourself. Indeed there are exceptions so maybe you are extremely talented or you do a lot of well structure training or you have good personal coach. But we all know that these cases are single digit % (or actually less, let's be honest to ourselves) so that's the answer. If you stay with TB ALC and fast offensive rubbers in MAX thickness it might be fun for few risky and lucky shots but chance that you would develop any good technique and footwork and that you would be able to progress and climb in your league or ranking system fast is low. Sorry.

This user has no status.
I'll give you my thoughts as I had more or less the same question for my son about 9 months ago. He is a good intermediate attacking player and had a TB ALB with Tenergy 05FX.
The unanimous response on here was buy a Nittaku Acoustic with Xiom Vega rubber. It was an excellent choice, he's been using this for the last 9 months, just put some Tenergy 05FX rubbers on it, his forehand loop is now excellent, even against spinny chops. I'm sure this would not have happened with the TB ALC, he'd have just relied on the power of the bat.
He has used the TB ALC for a few minutes every month or so and is a few months away yet from being ready, once his backhand catches up with his forehand.

So, in a nutshell, I'd avoid the TB ALC for the time being and come back to it in the future.

Last edited:
Reactions: thekleifheit13
This user has no status.
Thanks
I am a big fan of nittaku accoustic by seen online review :). But in our country nittaku blade is not available, I had to order via online which little expensive and risky as well as I can not afford too many expensive blade.

Actually Timo boll ALC with tin arc 5 mid hard very good set up with so much control. May be I need to practice more to get used to and to gain consistency and rythm.

I will share my video, hope you will help me by seen my video review.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
If you're between beginner and intermediate then TB ALC is too fast for you. Start with a slower all wood blade and learn the basics first.

Dear mentor's

Recently I have bought a new Timo boll ALC with DHS tin arc 5 both side.

Previously I had owned one premade killerspin 800 along with nitro-z rubber both side. This paddle combination was good but seems very hard to control. I know almost every kind of shorts but I do not have enough control and confidence to do continuously. I am not of slow in return reaction and also I have poor footwork.

Now I am requesting would you please share you thoughts . Is Tim arc 5 with Timo boll ALC is right setup for me??

I like to flick in back hand during serve, fore hand normally push for long one like to loop or drive. Afraid to attack due to slow return ready position..

I am kind of between intermediate to biginner level player.

Reactions: ahammedislam
This user has no status.
at the end of the day. If you are striving to get better you will. I have a similar player in my club plays in the lowest division of our leauges and has a MXP, Rasanter and ZJK ALC, it works well for him but I advised him to remember, at lower levels the bat will do all the work and he has to remember to play active strokes to improve.
You already have the bat, you like it. Good, keep it. Just remember to play proper strokes in training to get better
The best bat is the one that makes you encouraged to play! I love my Acoustic with MXP but i have had over 13 blades and 20 different rubbers, almost 4 rubbers a year and 2ish blades, penhold and shakehand.
I have fun and love the sport with no resentment at all because I focus on enjoying myself even if my equipment choices have been... questionable at best! but they made me want to play and try them out!

This user has no status.
Dear p... I don't know the name beg you pardon.

I love the way how you explained. Actually I am playing table tennis from almost 5 years. 4 years recreational , last one years started seriously. So bit of confidence I owned.

Recently I am thinking why not competing myself in national level, though I am not so good. I wanna try my luck with bit of practice may be 1 or 2 hours in a day, may be not this year may be next year I can do something very good. Killerspin 800 I had owned has more speed and power than Timo ALC. Had serious control issue specifically blocking or smashing heavy loop. Timo boll ALC very good with very light weight.

But the problem is killerspin 800 had a very good advantage regarding whole area sweet spot. Short slow ball spining, flicking, hard push was very easy and effective. As it was heavy I had to do small rotation or brushing the ball. But for spin to spin it was uncontrollable for my level.

But in Timo boll ALC with tin arc 5 mid hard. Now I have less sweet spot. I had to put the ball in near middle for maximum shots. And for short ball always finding difficulty to over cross the net as seems tin arc 5 mid hard feeling so soft. I don't know why this is happening. May be I am using only 1 week this new blade.

I don't know this passion how much last longer to compete in national level and I am pretty much sure. This table tennis is the only sports I can enjoy my entire life may be till death . So nothing to lose