Kim Jung Hoon FH Loop Pointers

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I wrote this initially on MyTT forum, but since I do a lot of gists of KJH vids, I post it here.

On MyTT, there was a discussion about how to be relaxed, so you can hit it right. Here is my post.

Kim Jung Hoon has forever advocated a little more rotation and striking the ball further back.

It isn't about hitting the ball much deeper in your strike zone (unless you were hitting way in front), but it is about using the whole body in sequence relaxed in a manner with leverage to maximize power transfer.

KJH makes good note about the importance of planting the hitting foot early in the right place (closer to the ball than you would think) Impacting the ball on the side (instead of front of body), yet use some more rotation (rotate into the ball weight going right to left and forward upon a center vertical axis), and finish stroke above head not past center. He is striking the ball just in front of his hitting knee about table height or higher.

KJH spends a lot of time explaining that for spin, it is best to make the backswing go down, NOT to backswing past behind your tail (don't do the excessively long windup) Keep racket face consistent angle kinda open, and make a slightly concave stroke... not excessively so, but a little concave, not so sharp, but extended over some distance - a longer concave, just slight.

He stresses that one must decide what kind of loop to do early... and it is decided by your backswing. He stresses that if you are to drive the ball, go backwards with backswing behind ball, and for a spinny shot, make backswing low, instead of straight back.

KJH explains that the backswing is where you load your energy (He says to "Collect" your power) and wait for the ball to get the right timing. Avoid swinging immediately, it hinders power transfer. Avoid swinging with just arm, even if you can make some power, it is inconsistent. Avoid being stiff. Avoid standing up too early. Don't use so much arm snap that you are clocking yourself upside your forehead to bust your bat and give self a goose egg knot. Allow the swing to finish in front of and higher than forehead. Do NOT try to quickly bring back bat before stroke is finished, it will hinder power. The legs are not really rising so much to make you stand up... it is a more forward rotation with some going up.

The comparison about being relaxed, he says upon impact the scale of power from 1-10 it should feel like 8 or so at impact, but on backswing, your wrist arm should feel like 1.

KJH finishes by saying we should consider using TT to "untie" our stress in our life. This is a typical Korean attitude. Everyone oughta consider a month vacation in Korea for TT and food.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Very nice of you to translate this! It is always interesting to learn things about technique. I found it interesting that he thinks that you should hit more at the side of your body. I understand that you get more power but i do not know if it suits todays style of play. Maybe we do not should follow how everyone else play, i do not know. I think todays play is very fast, with more backhand and counters over the table, especially with the new ball so i do not know if we have time enough to hit the ball more at the side of the body. I have learned that we do not want to have as much forehand feet as before, because we do not have the time anymore. I feel that this would contradict what he is saying.

I really agree that you should not be stiff, but i feel that he does not really look so relaxed. I think that he could be more relaxed and by doing so get his arm a little more extend. But it is hard to disagree with pros haha

Please translate more of his videos! That would be fun! Maybe one where he explains how to play backhand.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I have prolly gisted a dozen or so of his vids on various aspects of TT on TTD since I joined up. KJH is very good at immediately spotting fundamental errors of amateur players and clearly communicating what is ineffective and how to fix it. KJH frequently states there is no ONE right answer in TT and many coaches disagree about certain approaches... and they all can be communicating effective technique.

Lula, you oughta dig up the vids I did where he breaks down aspects of BH shots, you would agree with a lot of his approach to those shots. He advocates quick off the bounce close to table, and powerful BH away from table... shows how different technique and considerations apply for each situation.

I might have already done 4 or 5 vids on TTD over the years on this subject of BH.

Thousand nuggets of BH is one of them and his close to table BH defense is another good one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lula
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2012
I have prolly gisted a dozen or so of his vids on various aspects of TT on TTD since I joined up. KJH is very good at immediately spotting fundamental errors of amateur players and clearly communicating what is ineffective and how to fix it. KJH frequently states there is no ONE right answer in TT and many coaches disagree about certain approaches... and they all can be communicating effective technique.

Lula, you oughta dig up the vids I did where he breaks down aspects of BH shots, you would agree with a lot of his approach to those shots. He advocates quick off the bounce close to table, and powerful BH away from table... shows how different technique and considerations apply for each situation.

I might have already done 4 or 5 vids on TTD over the years on this subject of BH.

Thousand nuggets of BH is one of them and his close to table BH defense is another good one.

It was the biggest bummer of my life when those videos were all taken down. There was so much gold, and your translations were an absolute godsend. Even though I don't know a lick of the language, I watch so much korean TT content and matches because there are a plethora of channels on youtube filled with quality match play. But nothing seems to compare to the older run of KJH vids that I got so much out of.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
It was the biggest bummer of my life when those videos were all taken down. There was so much gold, and your translations were an absolute godsend. Even though I don't know a lick of the language, I watch so much korean TT content and matches because there are a plethora of channels on youtube filled with quality match play. But nothing seems to compare to the older run of KJH vids that I got so much out of.

I see now several (but not all) of KJH vids of his "one point" lessons with amateurs are no longer working... yeah bummer for sure.

KJH did those vids as Stiga and Tibhar sponsored player, then went to Germany for a couple years of 1. Bundesliga, then his playing career over. He opened a club south of Seoul (in the same area generally as KTS and RSM did... initially repped a brand or two, then club sponsored by Andro… and now Joola.

You can see why with all those sponsorship changes, his work while sponsored by other outfits my be by law or agreement or contract removed from the internet.

Every now and then I gist a vid of his... one of the latest one I did were two vids of the BH loop vs underspin.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews

@beeray1

In the last year or so, Nexy Korea seems to have put back up most, if not all of KJH's old vids when he was sponsored by Stiga, then Tibhar before he retired and opened his own club, first sponsored by Andro, then Joola.