Help choosing my blade and rubber

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
I am not new to ping pong i have been playing for a few years.. I just play with a Stiga paddle now but I want to try to build my own custom paddle and I wanted to see what y’all thoughts were for a blade and rubber..I’m a quite aggressive offense player so I want something that I can hit hard with but yet get aggressive spin and as far as the blade I would like a carbon but I would go all wood to... thanks for any help

says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
Stiga Allround Classic + Yasaka markV rubbers.

If u wanna go a bit faster then Yasaka 7 soft

This user has no status.
I totally second Lightzy's suggestion.
Maybe Stiga Offensive Classic + Yasaka Mark V rubbers could be good too.
Don't let the name fool you. Offensive Classic is only slightly faster than Allround Classic, but they have completely different feel. Allround is softer, but a bit stiffer, whereas Offensive is harder, but more flexible.
But as a beginner, you can't go wrong with Stiga's classic blades.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Stiga Allround Classic + Yasaka markV rubbers.

If u wanna go a bit faster then Yasaka 7 soft

I played with stiga all around classic + yazaka rakza 7 soft in 2mm and i found it a bit too fast the first time i played it. Then i played acuda S3 in 1.8mm and it was way better and a very nice combo. So depending your level and if you have never played any tensor, maybe it can be a good start ? Why not do the FH in 2mm for more speed

Also i tried mark V and personally i didn't like it. Don't really see the point to play it when you have easy to play tensor now

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Hey thanks for the input I was thinking of maybe going with a butterfly Timo Boll or dhs long 5 or Donic-Ovtcharov-No-1 or Stiga wood nct hybrid with dhs hurricane 3 neo for backhand and maybe blue fire m1 turbo or turnigy 05 for forehand I’m not sure yet just thinking....

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Hey thanks for the input I was thinking of maybe going with a butterfly Timo Boll or dhs long 5 or Donic-Ovtcharov-No-1 or Stiga wood nct hybrid with dhs hurricane 3 neo for backhand and maybe blue fire m1 turbo or turnigy 05 for forehand I’m not sure yet just thinking....

Sound really too fast :) And too fast is just horrible to play with

If you played with a pre made bat it is probable that is was slow and that any custom blade will be faster

Some rules of thumb
- A blade that is rated All or All+
- A tensor rubbers that 38° to 40° hardness

Even with that it could be something too fast depending your level

Maybe you know exactly what is the rubber and blade in your current premade bat ? it'll be helpful :)

Reactions: ttdad
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Don't waste your money on fast and "popular" equipment.
It is too fast for learning,
Rather go with an allround blade, with some trusted rubbers
this will be a third or more of the "fast" equipment price tag, and trust me, you will thank all of us later.

I had student who think he must use Butterfly this with Butterfly that and ended up stop using it after 2 weeks.
If you don't trust us, go and borrow someone else fast equipment and test it out.

and on the note on Chinese hardsponge rubber on backhand - this kind of rubber is a different topic - do you know what you are asking for, or reason of chosing a hardsponge rubber?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 7 reviews
Allround Classic with Mark V? Has anyone actually played this with the plastic ball? This was a good setup in the 38mm era but even with 40mm (I actually played this setup for 5 months), it was too slow and I say this as someone still using an OFF- blade (virtuoso) for the looping game.

@OP, my humble suggestion is to get something in the lower end of OFF-. I haven't tried the Offensive Classic but I can recommend the Primorac Off- and Donic Persson Powerallround. Basically any 5-ply blade with limba outer that's advertised as OFF-.

Then get some control-based rubbers. I've tried the Rakza 7 soft and have played Rakza 7. I think Rakza 7 soft has a bit too much catapult for a beginner.

Good rubbers that I have tried that are beginner friendly
1. Hexer Duro, both sides.
2. Vega Europe on the backhand side (I find it too soft for the forehand)
3. Nittaku Fastplay on the forehand side (Quality is extremely high). I've been using this on my backhand side. I think it works better as a control-oriented forehand rubber. The playing characteristics have been very stable. Something I haven't experienced from most rubbers.

Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
Whatever he uses after a premade bat will be too fast. That's life. At least it should be very controllable and good. All the pre-mades have rubbers about 30 degree hardness or something ridiculous like that and very slow.

Anyway, yeah I played a lot with Stiga All with MarkVs (It's what we have in the club for amateurs who haven't gotten their own equipment yet, or sometimes xiom musa). It's extremely spinny and slow. For beginners it's super effective because they can do all the shots that they'd otherwise struggle mightily with (like lifting backspin etc).

I think it's the ideal combination after a premade bat or for first-time beginners (which is why we have this at the club).

With that setup, as they get their legs, they can even beat the more advanced intermediates who use fast equipment. If you train in a club with new players as they advance to the advanced groups, you can often see some beginner lift backspin and the more experienced players have problems blocking it because it's too spinny. Much more spinny than it would seem.

That said, there's a lot that's more or less the same. Lots of blades and rubbers. These, I think, are very good.

Rakza7 soft is the step up. After that people already think they're semi-pros and get their TB ALCs with T05s and make so many unforced errors you'd never know they could hold the ball on the table previously :p

Last edited:
Reactions: mart1nandersson
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Hey thanks y’all for the response but ya I ended up with a Yasaka Ma Lin carbon with Donic bluefire m1 turbo fh and Yasaka mark V bh and so far I’m loving it

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
I am not new to ping pong i have been playing for a few years.. I just play with a Stiga paddle now but I want to try to build my own custom paddle and I wanted to see what y’all thoughts were for a blade and rubber..I’m a quite aggressive offense player so I want something that I can hit hard with but yet get aggressive spin and as far as the blade I would like a carbon but I would go all wood to... thanks for any help

stiga eternity is a loop machine! basically any rubber will work, just try the one that u get used to, rozena, mantra, rakza7 are all good.

This user has no status.
Having recently (4 months ago) started playing again after 18 years of not playing, I second the opinion of going for an ALL / ALL+ blade) with Mark V or Mark V GPS in ~1.8mm rubbers which is exactly what I did. Worked like a charm for me as a "get back in shape" setup. I started noticing I was lacking a bit of speed only recently and went for a more offensive setup (Stiga Nostalgic Offensive + Rakza 7 max). But anything faster than that I would definitely have struggled with learning the game again.

This user has no status.
This might now be relevant, but I find soft rubbers harder to control than harder rubbers. Soft rubbers tend to be very bouncy, even on very soft shots. When you hit hard, they tend to bottom out. I think medium-hard rubbers might be better for new players, since they can get better control with soft shots, and good speed once they learned to hit harder.