How to select/ what to look for in a good blade from the same blade model

This user has no status.
Hi guys,

As per the topic of the discussion, if a shop owner presents 10 new Viscarias, how do i select the best one?

I know what to look for in weight, but what else should i look for when bouncing the ball on the bare wood? Does the sound give an indication of characteristics?

I know what i want in a blade (ie flexibility, hardness etc) but these can only be tested on the table with rubbers attached. Something shop owners wont allow.

Thanks for your input

Reactions: thomas.pong
says + Drinkhall Powerspin Carbon with Aurus Prime and Omega...
says + Drinkhall Powerspin Carbon with Aurus Prime and Omega...
Aug 2017
Read 4 reviews
Color = yellow/cream over white
Weight = highest (95 will give crispier feeling)
Grain Pattern = fish scale over plain (for hardness)

1 important thing to note: if you are to use hard rubbers like Hurricane, MX-P a heavier blade will make it balanced weight or else you will feel head heavy; vice-versa, if you are to use soft rubbers like rakza 7 soft or vega Europe df you should go for a light blade so that it does not feel handle heavy

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6010 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016
I did a test where I would twiddle the blade a good number of times, and it seems just by the way my finger 'thumps' against the blade after each turn I could determine the flex. Aside from that, some handles can be different or not sanded as much etc.

You might consider kissing each blade and seeing which one tries to hold your affection, as well.

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
As per the topic of the discussion, if a shop owner presents 10 new Viscarias, [...]

To continue that thought experiment in another direction entirely… if a shop owner presents you with 10 Viscaria's, she's setting you up for disappointment.

This is called the paradox of choice. There's this naive assumption that having maximal choices at every turn (which one then equates with maximal autonomy) would maximize satisfaction, but it doesn't. Quite the contrary. For every Viscaria you choose out of these ten, nine remain that you didn't chose. And all of these nine might turn out, after the fact, to have been the better choice after all. You'll never be sure.

And it's that anxiety that I see lying behind your question. How do you select the best one, you ask? But (to me) that's not the real issue. The real issue is how you're going to be content with the one you end up with…

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Great stuff :)

To continue that thought experiment in another direction entirely… if a shop owner presents you with 10 Viscaria's, she's setting you up for disappointment.

This is called the paradox of choice. There's this naive assumption that having maximal choices at every turn (which one then equates with maximal autonomy) would maximize satisfaction, but it doesn't. Quite the contrary. For every Viscaria you choose out of these ten, nine remain that you didn't chose. And all of these nine might turn out, after the fact, to have been the better choice after all. You'll never be sure.

And it's that anxiety that I see lying behind your question. How do you select the best one, you ask? But (to me) that's not the real issue. The real issue is how you're going to be content with the one you end up with…

This user has no status.

This is a great post, but to counter it I would suggest the likes of Timo Boll would not have this feeling when presented with 20 blades identical in weight to choose. He'd choose the two or three he felt were best and feel very confident in it. I suppose OP wants to grab some of that confidence. It might backfire though as you suggest.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I guess most of you never really had the luxury of having few blades in front of you and for you to choose the one based on your preference.

I know that most people are not technically minded enough to choose, but such example is really possible and is normally requested by players who are semi pro or professional that are either sponsored or not.

Let me add, at most retailers, one can request this as a "social" player