What makes China so good?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
We all know of the sport school, prov, national "progress up or out" system
but other than that, there is a lot of money in the sport and a lot of Rural or poorer Chinese families will benefit if they child can get a salary for playing for a province or national

In all other countries in the world (other than Japan), you won't get a salary from Government
in some countries, they are corporate that does this (Korea, Japan, Taiwan etc)

so financial aspect is one major factor where other countries won't do that "extra push" to get to the top as it pretty much a zero return on investment.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I wonder how many times I have seen this thread subject pop up over the years. :)

The answers have been given.

1) China recruits and trains kids for CNT and Provincial teams from a young age.
2) China puts a lot of money into the sport.
3) By a fairly young age, kids who are talent prospects get put in special schools so they can train TT 6 hours a day.
4) Parents like the idea of their child having a good career since the government pays players a salary; their kid may even become one of the top players.
5) Sheer numbers.
6) Since it is the national sport, soooooo many people play it.

Scouting kids from age 4 for talent and putting the good prospects in a TT school by age 6-8 is huge though. By age 12, most of the top prospects in China have had more training time than most 18 year olds in Europe. That kind of head start is really amazing.

Anyone remember that video of Dan playing that 12 year old in China and getting shellacked?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Should we agree to just copy Carl's post and paste it whenever this question comes up inevitably again in another thread a few months down the road? Answer was perfect and why they're great.

Different countries or regions have the means and simply care more about certain sports and thus they dominate.

Kenya with long distance running. USA in basketball. I'm positive I'm forgetting countless others as I'm going off the top of my head but they're there. For China, it's TT.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I wonder how many times I have seen this thread subject pop up over the years. :)

The answers have been given.

1) China recruits and trains kids for CNT and Provincial teams from a young age.
2) China puts a lot of money into the sport.
3) By a fairly young age, kids who are talent prospects get put in special schools so they can train TT 6 hours a day.
4) Parents like the idea of their child having a good career since the government pays players a salary; their kid may even become one of the top players.
5) Sheer numbers.
6) Since it is the national sport, soooooo many people play it.

Scouting kids from age 4 for talent and putting the good prospects in a TT school by age 6-8 is huge though. By age 12, most of the top prospects in China have had more training time than most 18 year olds in Europe. That kind of head start is really amazing.

Anyone remember that video of Dan playing that 12 year old in China and getting shellacked?

Who is Dan?

and there seems to be a lot of 12 year olds in China that is shellacking lots of famous visitors
SA national champion (WR3xx) lost straights to another 12 year old

Then its the same in USA with a 12 year old kid likely will beat me in 3 point shoot out

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Should we agree to just copy Carl's post and paste it whenever this question comes up inevitably again in another thread a few months down the road? Answer was perfect and why they're great.

Different countries or regions have the means and simply care more about certain sports and thus they dominate.

Kenya with long distance running. USA in basketball. I'm positive I'm forgetting countless others as I'm going off the top of my head but they're there. For China, it's TT.

I think a better question is, what is the "2nd tiers" - Japan, Korea, Germany, Sweden, England, Taiwan doing that is working, when compared to China

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
It is a good question Tom. I'm not sure.

I think I must be the weird one because you see all over "How to beat China? Is there any stopping China?" As an American (pointing that out to show I have no regional basis), I really don't care how or if a country does or can beat China. I just want to continue to enjoy watching the best play. I really could not possibly care less if the best are all from China or if it's China and X other countries. Seems like from what I see, that view point is in the minority. I'm not sure why.

I understand for the good of the sport globally that it's probably good if some others rise up to challenge them but that's an issue that's out of my hands and I don't spend a lot of thought on it as again, not really concerned with what country the best players are from.

says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
Money and prestige.
Both ammount to the same thing.
Nationalism also plays a big role, and the general cultural paradigm of education

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Danny21312. That'd explain a lot of stuff. /s
I'm pretty sure he was talking about Dan Ives. Is this supposed to be your way of making fun of me? Regardless of whether you agree or disagree with what i said on the other thread, i've never insulted anyone personally in this forum so neither should you do it back to me.

Last edited: