Need Equipment Suggestions

This user has no status.
Hey TTD,

Been browsing this forum for a few months now, finally decided to make an account. I recently started getting more into table tennis, and I'm seeking some suggestions on what equipment to use. I'm not sure how to describe the level I'm at - I played for my high school team but didn't get any formal coaching, and recently joined a local club, so maybe 'intermediate' would describe it?

I use penhold and enjoy looping and topspinning. In the past I just used whatever bats were available and never really paid attention to what the rubbers/blades were, but they included brands including Butterfly, DHS, and 729. Currently I have a Yasaka Sweden Extra penhold blade. Would anyone be able to recommend any rubbers that would go well with my current blade? Or maybe a different blade all together? I would prefer a rubber that will last a while amd won't require replacement too regularly.

Any suggestions will be really helpful, thanks!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Hey TTD,

Been browsing this forum for a few months now, finally decided to make an account. I recently started getting more into table tennis, and I'm seeking some suggestions on what equipment to use. I'm not sure how to describe the level I'm at - I played for my high school team but didn't get any formal coaching, and recently joined a local club, so maybe 'intermediate' would describe it?

I use penhold and enjoy looping and topspinning. In the past I just used whatever bats were available and never really paid attention to what the rubbers/blades were, but they included brands including Butterfly, DHS, and 729. Currently I have a Yasaka Sweden Extra penhold blade. Would anyone be able to recommend any rubbers that would go well with my current blade? Or maybe a different blade all together? I would prefer a rubber that will last a while amd won't require replacement too regularly.

If money not a problem, Tenergy 05 1.9mm.

says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
Second the yasaka 7 soft suggestion, perfect.

Although you can't go wrong with Vega Pro, putting it on both sides might end up being quite a heavy racket. Rakza7 soft will give you a bit more quickness and control.

Reactions: thomas.pong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Oct 2016
Read 5 reviews
vega pro- hard, slow, heavy but spinny- bad option
R7soft- spinny, much softer, bouncy- good option
Tenergy ok perfect option
Calibra spin- didnt use
My proposition is Nittaku Renanos Hold on both sides

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
vega pro- hard, slow, heavy but spinny- bad option
R7soft- spinny, much softer, bouncy- good option
Tenergy ok perfect option
Calibra spin- didnt use
My proposition is Nittaku Renanos Hold on both sides

Calibra LT Spin is a good classic rubber, 40 deg sponge, no thrills. Unlike R7 Soft and Xiom, it doesn't seem to last very long.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Read 5 reviews
andro impuls powersponge, tibhar fx p
or more premium rubbers
nittaku renanos hold, rasanter R42
but if I use more my keyboard and think more and more
KTL XP pro will be good too

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Read 5 reviews
the most impressive rubber for myself is

Renanos Hold
imo better than overhyped 05 fx but I find only 1 shop in AU and is its called ooak and I find that Victas has the best price-quality ratio so maybe Victas V>01 limber?? I don't like that rubber, but you know I don't like 40 degree type of rubber

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
OP here, for some reason when I logged in I got banned with the message "You have been banned for the following reason:No reason was specified.
Date the ban will be lifted: Never".

So had to make a new account to reply.

So many options and I don't know how to choose! Might just have to go based on highest number of recommendations on this thread as all the options mentioned above seem pretty good based on reviews...

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
OP here, for some reason when I logged in I got banned with the message "You have been banned for the following reason:No reason was specified.
Date the ban will be lifted: Never".

So had to make a new account to reply.

So many options and I don't know how to choose! Might just have to go based on highest number of recommendations on this thread as all the options mentioned above seem pretty good based on reviews...

And you haven't seen anything yet! General advice is, whatever you choose, try and stick with it. If you feel you "lack speed" or anything else, don't buy new stuff but correct your stroke or body movement, and so on. Honestly, you could beat 90+% of club players with your blade and any combination of these rubbers, if you were to reach that level.

I'd also vote for Rakza 7 Soft, since you seem to like the brand (as Thomas said, classic combo with Sweden Extra) and the topsheet is bullet-proof (you asked for longevity), being mainly natural rubber and generally speaking a sound formula. Beware, it's still an offensive rubber! Not so long ago I would have advised slower stuff, but at least you can keep the same combo for a long while and even when the sponge loses a bit of kick, as all tensors (modern elastic rubbers) eventually do, you'll still be good to go.

Otherwise, not to confuse you further but you can go down the classic route with Mark V (non-tensor; an even more common pairing with your blade) which is a little safer, although knowing you'll probably end up with tensors anyway, so it's up to you. Either way, don't overthink it and focus on your play.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Thanks for such a detailed response! Hard choice but looks like Rakza 7 Soft seems most popular in this thread. Just about to order some, what's the difference between 2.0 thickness and max? A lot of the stores seem like they have sold out of 2.0 thickness at the moment...

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
Thanks for such a detailed response! Hard choice but looks like Rakza 7 Soft seems most popular in this thread. Just about to order some, what's the difference between 2.0 thickness and max? A lot of the stores seem like they have sold out of 2.0 thickness at the moment...

You'll get more speed and less control out of max, and more control and less speed out of 2.0mm thickness. Medium thickness like 1.9-2.0mm is really best for developing players and I'd say for testing out new rubbers. Have you looked at tabletennis11.com? It's arguably the best TT store for all brands except Butterfly; they have a lot of discounts, great customer service and have fast worldwide shipping.

Reactions: Beep-Beep
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
I ended up getting the Rakza 7 Soft. Played with it yesterday and I'm very happy with it - good spin and the control was amazing. I'm sure it'll be even better once I adjust to it. For anyone else reading this thread looking for suggestions, I think the Rakza 7 Soft is a very good choice

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Hey TTD,

as a penholder, i think you are trying to mimic malin and wanghaos style. which means control and 3rd ball attack are more inmportant. there are actually very few pen players using european rubbers. i personally recomand u to try dhs skyline series, they are less tackier that h3 yet less stiffer. however, yasaka extra is a little bit too slow, if u have chance, try yeo, intensity like malin and xuxin