Hugo Calderano beats Fan Zhendong

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
Not really IMO. Hugo just had the biggest win of his career against FZD. He was on a very emotional high and its very difficult to recover and refocus from that in a few short hours to face the next opponent.

This is not to take anything away from Harimoto. Harimoto played superb, its just that there was no way Hugo could play at the same level as he did against FZD.

Something similar happened in Doha, after he had an incredible run (beat Boll, Harimoto and LGY pretty comprehensively) while looking absolutely untouchable (those backhands against HT!!! - the sound of the balls crunching on the table still comes to mind everytime I read his name) and the expectations built up massively in the run-up to the final. At which point, I am not saying he should have beaten FZD, but that final was a bit underwhelming. Now that's another weight off his shoulders, I hope he can combine the two and raise to the last step up the ladder consistently.
I agree things are looking bright, and it was great to see the reactions from the public each time! Very likeable player, and just what we need to spice things up.

Heck, I wish he could carry Gauzy up with him somehow, too!

Reactions: yoass
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Read 1 reviews
You've just beaten the world #1, how do you feel?!

Great!!!

...loses to 14 year old, lol

I don't really get what's funny about that. Harimoto shouldn't be treated like an insignificant 14 (he's actually 15) year old boy, he's a great athlete who has already beaten several other incredible players.

Reactions: bobpuls