Intermediate rubber/blade suggestions

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Skill level:
I am an intermediate player as roughly defined in the article "The Different Table Tennis Playing Levels" by Greg Letts (sorry im unable to post links until 5 posts). I have been playing with the Palio Expert 2 and it is now a little beat up. However, I don't feel like i've outgrown the speed of the paddle, so i'm not necessarily looking for a faster setup.
I enjoy being a looper but need to work on consistency. I am at the point in my game where I try to loop everything for the sake of practice and make a lot of errors on shots where a better stroke could have been used. Recently i've enjoyed standing farther back from the table and waiting for counter loop opportunities.

What im looking for:
I am a little lost as to what to look for as I don't really know what the Palio Expert 2 rubbers and blade attributes are. Im also confused as I hear conflicting advice to beginner/intermediates of buying a faster blade with a slow rubber vs. buying a slow blade with a faster rubber.

One thing i do hear from the table tennis daily reviews that interests me is the concept of "dwell time" and having a better "feel". But maybe my current Palio Expert 2 has enough of that and more wouldn't be better?

I am not looking for the cheapest options. I'm fine with paying more for better quality. With that said, I don't want to end up with a setup thats harder to player with than the Palio Expert 2.

If anyone knows or has had experience with the Palio Expert 2, id appreciate some comparisons with other rubbers and blades.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I do not know much about equipment or Palio Expert 2. But i have been a coach for several years, and a lot of players do the mistake to buy to fast equipment which hinder their developement. Do not do that mistake! Better to have to slow than to fast i think. As long as there are good grip in the rubbers so you can do the correct technique and get the expected result then it is good.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
I do not know much about equipment or Palio Expert 2. But i have been a coach for several years, and a lot of players do the mistake to buy to fast equipment which hinder their developement. Do not do that mistake! Better to have to slow than to fast i think. As long as there are good grip in the rubbers so you can do the correct technique and get the expected result then it is good.

That is good advice that i've heard from many people. The problem is I don't know how to find out how fast the blade/rubber on my Palio Expert 2 is so that I can buy a setup that is similar speed.

This user has no status.
An advanced table tennis player can spin, serve, and smash just about anyone off the table with your setup. I'd stick with it. You can buy replacement rubbers very cheap at Eacheng.net or you can get it at colestt.com if in the US. I play at a club where they start everyone off with your exact setup and they have plenty of power, control, and spin. Save the money and enjoy getting better :)

says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
Ill always recommend the stiga all blade with yasaka markVs.

Another excellent blade is the tibhar samsonov alpha sgs which i personally like much better.

With these types of blades you can just incrementally increase the speed of your rubbers but never lose the control aspect also.

Last edited:
Reactions: Der_Echte

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Going general instead of specific names:
Loopers who value control over max speed often choose a five-ply all wood blade. Most of the recommendations here are in that category. There are a million different 5-plys out there. You should be able to borrow some for a hit. One main way to limit the choices is by outer veneer. Limba or koto are the two most common. If you can try some you may find one of those woods feels better to you. I encourage you not to research and intellectualize the properties of each wood. Just hit with some bats and see if the ones that feel better mainly use one wood for the outer veneer.

Once you know that, it's mainly about comfort in your hand. Different brands use slightly differing handle shapes and sizes, get one that feels good to you.

The other blade properties that matter are thickness and head size. But imo you will quickly adjust to those as long as you get the feeling you like.

For rubbers, you are a looper, so you want decently spinny ones. One decision is if you want a different rubber for fh and bh, or the same. Keep in mind that many rubbers from different brands are pretty much interchangeable, since they come from one third-party factory in Germany. If you use different rubbers, get two that are different either in the sponge thickness (2.1mm v 1.9), or sponge hardness (rubbers with numbers, or fx, or soft in the name).

If you can try other people's bats to select your blade, then obviously you will be trying out their rubbers too. Find one or two that feel good to you. It's not necessary to pay a lot for rubber, but they make a huge difference in the way the finished bat plays. Massively much more than choosing between different 5-ply wood blades.

The safest bet is if you test soneone's setup and like the whole package, just copy that. If you can't try before you buy, then get any popular 5-ply wood, and any lively and spinny rubber. The most important thing is that there is no best or perfect setup, and thinking logically about it is fine if you enjoy that, but it isn't particularly useful. The way it feels to you is all that really matters.