Has anyone tried to figure out the weight of the glue?

So I assembled my new paddle yesterday.

Measured just about everything. Here are the numbers:

Blade 89g
FH rubber 67 uncut
BH rubber 69 uncut

So I glued FH rubber 1st. Total paddle weight 139g. Weight of cut off part 20g

BH rubber glued on, Total weight 191. Weight of cut off part 21g.

89+47(67-20)+48(69-21)=184. 7 grams of glue used? Isn't that a lot?

Lets say there is 1 gram of glue on the cut off part. That would be 89+48+49=186. 5 grams of glue used in this case.

Is 5-7 grams of glue on the paddle a lot? I used Revolution 3 glue, a few layers on both blade and rubber.

Is there a better glue that weights less?

Reactions: rbtitco
You've measured ecerything and made precise calulations and at the same time you say "a few layers of glue"?
How many is "a few"?

You need just one layer on the wood and one layer on the rubber if you can do the job properly. If you are afraid you are not so good, you may put two thin layers on the rubber. Any additional layer on the rubber will change its behaviour.
A good glue job will add about 3 grams with one layer, and about 4 grams with two layers on the rubber. On the blade one layer always.

Reactions: whocarez
Instructions on the bottle say 1-2 layers on the blade, 2-4 on the rubber. I put 2 on blade and 3 rubber. Normal viscosity. I've used 1/2 layers previously, and rubber started coming off.

I guess the question is if I use Chack II, would I only use 1/1 layer and the weight of the blade will be 4 grams less?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
One thin layer on both the rubber and the blade is enough if you do a good job and let it dry properly. It has worked without any issues on rubbers like T05, H3 Neo (with lots of booster), Genesis II, EL-S etc.

I've used both Andro Free Glue and Donic Vario Clean with great results. The glues look and smell very similar so I assume that both are manufactured by ESN (and it wouldn't surprise me if the Xiom iBond also comes from the same factory).

Reactions: whocarez and langel
says The trick to lose the sight of big picture is to focus...
says The trick to lose the sight of big picture is to focus...
Aug 2013
Read 3 reviews
So I assembled my new paddle yesterday.

Measured just about everything. Here are the numbers:

Blade 89g
FH rubber 67 uncut
BH rubber 69 uncut

So I glued FH rubber 1st. Total paddle weight 139g. Weight of cut off part 20g

BH rubber glued on, Total weight 191. Weight of cut off part 21g.

89+47(67-20)+48(69-21)=184. 7 grams of glue used? Isn't that a lot?

Lets say there is 1 gram of glue on the cut off part. That would be 89+48+49=186. 5 grams of glue used in this case.

Is 5-7 grams of glue on the paddle a lot? I used Revolution 3 glue, a few layers on both blade and rubber.

Is there a better glue that weights less?

I bought the Normal Viscosity Revolution No. 3 glue and I don't like it a bit. The reason is that after using 2 layers on the blade and two layers on the rubber, the rubber still won't stick properly and I had to peel off a new rubber and then again do the same process with more layers on the wood and rubber. I just won't use it anymore as I feel that too much glue (read water) on the wood will eventually make the wood soft and soggy.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I always put 2 thing layers on a rubber and 1 on blade
i use Andro Turbo Fix, Gewo Hydro Tech, Xiom I bond etc, which I think is the same thing.

for the ones that say 1 on rubber is enough else its a technique issue...
well I learnt from my mentors saying with tensor rubbers, the first layer does get sucked in more to the pores by thin glue, so it is adviseable to use a 2nd layer for a better bond.
and since I'm a shop and glue hundreds of bats a year, I want to make sure my assembly is top notch and bond is strong enough.

another shop only uses 1 layer on rubber, and I hear lots of complaints.... (it could be glue, glue layer or technique)

To answer OP
I see my gluing normally adds +/- 2 grams per side

I always put 2 thing layers on a rubber and 1 on blade
i use Andro Turbo Fix, Gewo Hydro Tech, Xiom I bond etc, which I think is the same thing.

for the ones that say 1 on rubber is enough else its a technique issue...
well I learnt from my mentors saying with tensor rubbers, the first layer does get sucked in more to the pores by thin glue, so it is adviseable to use a 2nd layer for a better bond.
and since I'm a shop and glue hundreds of bats a year, I want to make sure my assembly is top notch and bond is strong enough.

another shop only uses 1 layer on rubber, and I hear lots of complaints.... (it could be glue, glue layer or technique)

To answer OP
I see my gluing normally adds +/- 2 grams per side

So your mentor has to rethink that and to really take in mind the difference between glues and the multylayer effect.
My mentor may put 1-2-3 layers on the rubber, but only for a reason. I would never allow someone to put 2 layers on my rubbers. And I'm doing it alone. Have never felt.

Reactions: mart1nandersson
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
So your mentor has to rethink that and to really take in mind the difference between glues and the multylayer effect.
My mentor may put 1-2-3 layers on the rubber, but only for a reason. I would never allow someone to put 2 layers on my rubbers. And I'm doing it alone. Have never felt.

I know what you are trying to say, but with all due respect to you and every other "equipment gurus" on this forum.
I think his equipment knowledge, skills and experience far supersedes anyone in this forum. Heck he does that for a living, if he needs to rethink, I'm sure he would be out of a job long ago

So I think you can continue your way, I will continue my way, no one is getting hurt for doing it differently.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
I agree
Most pros don't only use 1 layer
Heck, I can't say any more

Isn't comparing with the pros a bit strange as most "boosting formulas" involves extra glue layers just to protect to top sheet? Maybe mainly applies to semi-pros who don't get their sheets express delivered from the DHS factory but anyway.

says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
EH?
I use freechack like forever, one very thin coating on the blade, one very thin coating on the rubber, no discernable weight added.

I dunno what the hell yaall doing

says https://www.facebook.com/eduardo.eduard.33/videos/vb.1000...
says https://www.facebook.com/eduardo.eduard.33/videos/vb.1000...
Apr 2015
Read 2 reviews
I agree
Most pros don't only use 1 layer
Heck, I can't say any more

True, my chinese coach said me to use 6 layers of glue(on the rubber), but depends of the viscosity, I've used 6 with Nittaku Finezip, but now I use a thinner glue and I use 8 layers on rubber, and 2 on blade instead of 1. At least I prefer more glue, but never tried it before my coach recommended this to me.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl