What are some of the best light set-up you've tried?

This user has no status.
My current set up is Nittaku Acoustic with Fastarc G1 (2.0mm) on FH and Rakza 7 (2mm) on BH.

So far I've been really pleased with the set up but the racquet weighs at 189g.

I've played with racquet as light as 178g before and I was pleasantly surprised how light it feels.

I'm curious, what are some of the light set up you tried that you really liked? I don't know if it would be possible to create one without sacrificing much spin and speed. I think in order to go light, one would most likely need to have a stiff blade with soft rubbers as they tend to be lighter.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016
Feel of heaviness is not tied only to grams on the scale! It has to do with weight distribution as well. Having a light handle with a head heavy blade, plus thick heavy rubbers can make it feel even more burdensome. I have a blade that feels quite heavy, and another one which feels noticeably lighter than it. Put them on the scale, and the "heavy" blade was actually 20 grams lighter!

Some people counter-weight their blades by adding bulk to the handle.

Reactions: Simas
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016
I agree with you. My Acoustic is the L handle version so it helps distributes the weigh more evenly.

I'm curious to hear what other lighter set up people have tried. Or do most people have set up weighing around 190g?

I think most are around 180 +/- 5

You could try soulspin roots 9, freitas blade, or any of the popular ones. Just email the sites you order from and ask what their lightest is for a particular blade. They can often vary 10 grams or so. There's your weight knock off right there!

http://www.soulspin.tt/en/technolog...eed-offensive-and-fast-tabletennis-blade.html

says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
Liu Shiwen ZLF (83g) + 2 AK47 Yellow. 160g. So fun.
Could be even lighter. The LSW is a huge head bat (like 152/153x158)

Also samsonov alpha sgs + acuda P3s. very spinny. I don't remember how much it weighed but feather light

Last edited:
Reactions: Simas
This user has no status.
At my club, young kids with arms 1/2 mine can whip their heavy blade + 2 Tenergy rubbers easily. I play OX long pips on BH so my blade is pretty light but I can't whip my blade as fast as these kids. I think techniques are more important than just weight.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. I was going to create another thread talking about the sort of strength training you can do to improve the technique of the game. I mean I'm pretty sure I'm stronger than Harimoto but he has way better techniques in delivering the strength.

This user has no status.

Also samsonov alpha sgs + acuda P3s. very spinny. I don't remember how much it weighed but feather light

How is your experience with AK47 yellow? I thought about trying this as BH, not only because it's a cheap rubber but I can't seem to find any other rubber that's as light as this.

I'm surprised why there aren't more people using this rubber given its price and fairly decent reviews on revspin.net.

Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
How is your experience with AK47 yellow? I thought about trying this as BH, not only because it's a cheap rubber but I can't seem to find any other rubber that's as light as this.

I'm surprised why there aren't more people using this rubber given its price and fairly decent reviews on revspin.net.

On backhand its topsheet isn't as grippy as rakza7 etc. It's more of a spongey rubber like the new generation 'thin topsheet' esns, whereas the older rubbers have better topsheets.
For forehand you can get spin and speed like any of the best rubbers that exist. It releases the ball very fast, more speed than spin. For backhand it's less spinny, but very good speed. It depends on how you like to play.
Also it ranges in hardness a bit so it ranges in weight. There'll be a sheet that's 38g cut and a sheet that's a bit over 40 cut because of being slightly harder. But I guess that's how it is with most rubbers.

Since you're using T05 it might won't work for you. It's a completely different feel and obviously not of same quality make.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
On backhand its topsheet isn't as grippy as rakza7 etc. It's more of a spongey rubber like the new generation 'thin topsheet' esns, whereas the older rubbers have better topsheets.
For forehand you can get spin and speed like any of the best rubbers that exist. It releases the ball very fast, more speed than spin. For backhand it's less spinny, but very good speed. It depends on how you like to play.
Also it ranges in hardness a bit so it ranges in weight. There'll be a sheet that's 38g cut and a sheet that's a bit over 40 cut because of being slightly harder. But I guess that's how it is with most rubbers.

Since you're using T05 it might won't work for you. It's a completely different feel and obviously not of same quality make.

Thanks for the info. I should update my profile as I'm currently using Fastarc G1 for FH.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Feel of heaviness is not tied only to grams on the scale! It has to do with weight distribution as well. Having a light handle with a head heavy blade, plus thick heavy rubbers can make it feel even more burdensome. I have a blade that feels quite heavy, and another one which feels noticeably lighter than it. Put them on the scale, and the "heavy" blade was actually 20 grams lighter!

Some people counter-weight their blades by adding bulk to the handle.

Exactly. The feeling of heaviness depends also on the distance between your blade holding point (handle) and centre of mass point.

At my club, young kids with arms 1/2 mine can whip their heavy blade + 2 Tenergy rubbers easily. I play OX long pips on BH so my blade is pretty light but I can't whip my blade as fast as these kids. I think techniques are more important than just weight.

I'd agree that the speed of the arm movement depends mostly on your skills (a.k.a TT technique training) and not on your raw physical condition. Let's admit, the masses we are talking about are minuscule...

I'm close but not there yet. This is my daily driver with H3Neo and Donic Bluefire on Stiga OFF (it has a mid-sized head) -173 grams

20180831_230556PH.jpg

And this is with H3Neo and Palio when I did some EJ thing... -167grams

20180901_205913.jpg

Last edited: