40+ Balls & Its Effects

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzUZzpAeAu4&t=230s

Sorry that I didn't provide any translations but basically Chen Meng acknowledged (in the above interview) that the change to bigger plastic balls in recent years did work in her favour (or her style of play) to a certain extent. I don't quite understand why? Can anyone provide an explanation or any ideas why?

For me, I understand that a larger ball reduces speed and spin and can see this change affecting speedy and defensive players the most. CM has always been quite strong in the spin and power game so in what ways (however subtle) has she gained from expanding the ball?

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Well, she said everyone around her feels that she's benefited from the ABS ball, but she doesn't feel that to be that much.

She's known as "Miss World Tour" for a reason. She should've won the Asian Games in that case, yet she didn't. Why? Same for Asian Cup. Why?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
Well, she said everyone around her feels that she's benefited from the ABS ball, but she doesn't feel that to be that much.

She's known as "Miss World Tour" for a reason. She should've won the Asian Games in that case, yet she didn't. Why? Same for Asian Cup. Why?

A valuable insight yet again Zeio.

My thoughts are, she has this commandeering backhand type of play, which is close to the Harimoto's actually.

To the OP, if you are interested we had some discussions about it few moths ago, about the so called "New trend". A term coined by @EmRatThich on his yt channel. Here is one of the threads (sorry for bit self advertising, it was the easiest one to find for me ... )

https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/fo...-Japan-Open-2018-a-beginning-of-the-new-trend

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I do not know how she play, so can not comment on that. But i think the new ball is better for players that play fast close to the table, with focus on speed and not spin and play with a lot of countertopspin. It is easier to countertopspin now since it is not as much spin in the ball. I alos think the ball is pretty good for loopers that play with alot of power, that can use the body good. Players that do not know how to properly use the body for power will not get the same amount of power as before.

I also think it is a bad match for spinoritented players since it is less spin in the ball. But players with a thick hit, that loop with the racket more open will also not benefit from the new ball since they have the wrong technique to get spin with the new ball. Before it was enough, but now we need to generate more spin on our own.
It is not a good match for defensive players, which i think need to be more offensive today because of the less spin.

It is interesting to see if players have changed their game. I think Timo Boll have changed his way of play. Before he relied on alot of spin from the distance, but i think nowdays he plays closer to the table with alot of countertopspin. I also think the new ball is good for Harimoto which play close to the table and play fast. Good safe players with great blocking abilities will also benefit from the new ball, like Samsonov. I also think the ball would had been good for Oh Sang Eun.

Since i play with short pimple, i think it interesting if the new ball will benefit this. I think i need to work alot more to get power, but on the other hand i do not loose any spin since i do not play with any spin with the short pimple, so maybe the less is bigger for players with two inverted rubbers.

Mybe im wrong, i would like to hear your opinions!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
I do not know how she play, so can not comment on that. But i think the new ball is better for players that play fast close to the table, with focus on speed and not spin and play with a lot of countertopspin. [...]

Maybe im wrong, i would like to hear your opinions!

You pretty much summed up the characteristics of the "new trend" and features of the 40+ ball, to which I actually can sign up to. Few months ago, around the time of Japan Open 2018, we had quite a few topics about it. The one I linked in my prev comment was somewhat firce over to what extent it helped Harimoto's achievements. Around that time also @EmRatThich posed his videos - they are quite informative, so I recommend them to you.

Today I think most of the boys here used their bullets and there's not much will for another fight like this ; ) unless someone new to the forum comes up with fresh ideas. But I guess what you characterized is pretty much a consensus by now.

Last edited: