"Strong Statements of Intent from ITTF"

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
Here is a whole article:
https://www.ittf.com/2018/12/20/strong-statements-intent-ittf-executive-committee-meeting/

Point #2 is interesting:

"[...] T2 DIAMOND EVENTS

The collaboration between the ITTF and T2APAC is also gathering steam with the ITTF Executive Committee approving world ranking points for the three T2 Diamond events in 2019. These events will act as a testing lab for the ITTF to trial innovations and therefore improve the commercial value of the sport. "

Actually I find it promising, since I was a proponent of introducing more variety into the game. I wonder what kind of innovations shall be tested. T2APAC was quite nice to watch. One of my "wild" ideas, was testing the high of the net this way. This way, meaning being tested by the Pro players, in a real life conditions on the marginal scale of course. But I don't think they mean to go this far.

What do you think this statement means?

Last edited:
Reactions: Tony's Table Tennis
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
ITTF international events is World Tour and other "world" event.
If one starts incorporating leagues, then you can't limit to T2. You would have to open up to all your "super leagues" on the planet.
I'm not sure if they want rating point or ranking point as a goal to includes leagues.
as rating will make sense for leagues, but ranking - no...

Reactions: ping fun and jawien
This user has no status.
ITTF international events is World Tour and other "world" event.
If one starts incorporating leagues, then you can't limit to T2. You would have to open up to all your "super leagues" on the planet.
I'm not sure if they want rating point or ranking point as a goal to includes leagues.
as rating will make sense for leagues, but ranking - no...

I wonder if T2 diamond events aren't leagues like last time but tournaments.

Reactions: Andyzhao123
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
Oh, man. I can't wait for the new blades for the 20+ net, new rubbers for the 20+ net, new tables for the 20+ net, new shoes for the 20+net... new balls for the 20+ net...

If anybody from the marketing department of the main brands is reading this, they should calling and lobbying ittfz right now ... ;)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
Hitler for one isn't impressed. [...]
You had the video ready for the occasion Zeio, didn't you ;)
On a serious note I think, you had some interesting analysis of the business being involved here, not too long ago.

No wild ideas please. Let us keep TT as it is [...]

I think the "lab" the ittf is talking about, is more about the format rather than the changes a hinted about. So yeah, I'm smuggling an old theme of mine here a little bit.

Saying that, I think it would only enable some variety and a natural testing field. If I or some amateurs did try it and had some conclusions, they would not be conclusive would they. But if we allow it to be tested by pros ... who knows, if the idea would caught on - good, if not fine with me too ... and I'm talking about little gradual changes (not 20 cm).

Last edited:
Reactions: zeio
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
Interesting. Just wondering, what is the reasoning why the net hight should be changed?

P.S. Sorry for jumping into a post after a week, but doing my catch up after holidays...

It was a long Holiday for you, wasn't it ... : )

So ... about a year ago I promised to make some videos on testing the higher net. Somehow I managed to procrastinate over this task till this very moment, so without it I don't really want to start a discussion, because in a way I know how it's going to end ... without some "new data" everybody will stick to his/her view.

But let's say, me or some other amateur will perform those tests. It still won't be much of the evidence because ... we are amateurs. Even worse, say some pros will perform tests. Imho it will not be conclusive either, it will only show how they managed to deal with higher net "now", but who knows how the game would develop in the future ...

In my opinion, if we had something like French Open/ Roland Garos in tennis which is a completely different surface from the other three Grand Slams, this would give us a constant valuable feedback how the game could be developed ..

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
Some people say it will hurt defenders even more I am in support of a higher net. The plastic balls bounce higher.

Yeah, there are different views on defenders ... new ball didn't help them for sure, but still i.e. the current European Women Champion is Li Qian a defender ...

To be honest I was totally against them, primarily because of their quality in the beginning and "strange" bounce and feel. Now it is sort of ok for me. People got used to them and one thing I have to give is that they simplified the game a little. It became faster for sure, but less spin makes it easier to watch.

Too bad those plastics weren't introduced into game in an evolutionary way - just like this idea to make some tournaments a 'lab' for new solutions.

Last edited: