Harimoto's serve

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
I have been wanting to ask this question for a long time but keep forgetting.

After watching Harimoto's game over the last few months, I noticed his serve was poorly returned by ML, ZJK and even XX. That led to quite a significant amount of quick points.

His usual serve involves a left-ward brush of the ball. It seems very simple but I wonder why it is extremely difficult for the best players to return it properly?

Can someone shine some light on this so I can learn some tricks?

Last edited:
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
He worked on it after getting trashed by Calderano at the Qatar Open.

Look up and compare his matches before and after that tournament.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
I have been wanting to ask this question for a long time but keep forgetting.

After watching Harimoto's game over the last few months, I noticed his serve was poorly returned by ML, ZJK and even XX. That led to quite a significant amount of quick points.

His usual serve involves a left-ward brush of the ball. It seems very simple but I wonder why it is extremely difficult for the best players to return it properly?

Can someone shine some light on this so I can learn some tricks?

deception, deception and then some more deception. his serve motion seems to be the same, as a top server's serve should be but it isnt. Its the subtle changes on timing and contact point on the paddle/ball

Reactions: Andyzhao123
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I think it to hard to win with spin when servering with the new ball. More important to get a good return, a ball that is good for your kind of play.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Most often what kind of spin is on the ball is something one can read, it's more difficult to quickly figure out how much spin is on the ball. A little misread/mishandle and the point is probably lost.

Timo said something like it's difficult to completely fool opponents on the serve that his tactic is to get a return that creates an advantage for him.

Reactions: Gerald Finch