Who currently has the best backhand in table tennis?

Who has the best backhand?

• Fan Zhendong

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Timo Boll

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tomokazu Harimoto

Votes: 12 42.9%
  • Hugo Calderano

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Dimitrij Ovtcharov

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Liam Pitchford

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Simon Gauzy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (comment below!)

Votes: 4 14.3%

• Total voters
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
sorry Yogi, Tiago Apolonia and Mizutani has the best bh. No comparison.

I assume that you’re talking about fishing/lobbing here? :confused:

In my view Apolonia (and up until a few years ago Mizutani) were the prime examples of players who had to back away from the table A LOT due to the lack of an effective close-to-the-table backhand - both in offense and defense.

A little like the Korean penhold style (like Kim Taek Soo and Ryu Seung Min) - only less “uncompromising”.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Gee, golly: If you look at all the functions of the backhand, it is a great challenge to not select Mr. Fan ZD from China.

Ma Long comes out of the Wang Liqin structural framework that is forehand-based, whereas Mr. Fan ZD does not. Ma Long has, at the international level, a highly functional backhand, however it is clear the much-more-backhand-based approach of other great internationals must favor them, including several mentioned above.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
I think in women Liu shiwen has the best backhand , Also Mima Ito and Ding ning . In men part It's Zhang jike who comes in mind immediately . After him Its FZD and Dima . Although Zjk has been absent for a long time and dima wasnt so active too but these two players's backhand is far better than the list above . Yes we cant say one player is totally good in backhand but overall we can name the players .