Who currently has the best backhand in table tennis?

Who has the best backhand?

• Fan Zhendong

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Timo Boll

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tomokazu Harimoto

Votes: 12 42.9%
  • Hugo Calderano

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Dimitrij Ovtcharov

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Liam Pitchford

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Simon Gauzy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (comment below!)

Votes: 4 14.3%

• Total voters
This user has no status.
Good and concise lists already. I should admit, Calderano and Pitchford sprung to mind immediately, but at some point last year I was severely impressed by the BH's of both Yoshimura brothers.

yeh I think far from the table Pitchford and Calderano BH are exceptional but I think thats not how you win a match so even if Harimoto cannot make those shots, he is very good at what he does with this BH and thats how he win big matches

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
yeh I think far from the table Pitchford and Calderano BH are exceptional but I think thats not how you win a match so even if Harimoto cannot make those shots, he is very good at what he does with this BH and thats how he win big matches

You are right there. Matches are won at the table. And I nominate Mima Ito's BH (especially in service reception) for inclusion in that list of today's greats.

Reactions: Jirrex

mrk

This user has no status.

mrk

This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I believe Harimoto has the strongest BH because of his service return: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZOiFRWLyb4&feature=youtu.be&t=648

In a rally some other players are on the same level or possibly better. The difference is that the service receive is the most important shot in table tennis beside the own service.

One of the best BH player is missing in the vote by the way, Liang Jingkun. His BH is superior to the BH from Fan Zhendong imho.

Reactions: jawien
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
In terms of speed, ZJK said Harimoto is in the top few.

Even though ML has fixed up his BH, he's in no way in the top 5.

Reactions: Gladxu and jawien
says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
1) Pitchford, besides having a backhand strong enough to hit winners from a distance most players would lob, also has fantastic over-the-table backhand which, again, leaves opponents stunned. That's how he defeated Harimoto, with that shot. And serve return as aggressive as you could ever wish for.

2) Calderano's is amazing. His backhand is one of the most destructive but also incredibly versatile. He has very very precise control. He can rip a own-the-line winner from under the table that leaves opponents stunned. In his recent victories, if you look at those matches... What a crazy backhand.
But not very consistent.

3) I guess Harimoto comes third for me, but mostly because everyone says it. I haven't seen anything spectacular in his backhand except very high consistency, but that has nothing much to do with his backhand. All of his shots are supremely consistent, more so than most other pros even, which is why he is dominates them. His pushes are just as incredibly precise, for example.

I guess they're all the same really.
Calderano would be best if he was also consistent like Harimoto, Harimoto would be best if he was also as explosive as Pitchford/Calderano, and Pitchford would be best if he was more versatile like Calderano.

Last edited:
Reactions: GusShnaps
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
This is hard! I think it is difficult to find a player that is best on all backhand shots.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Oct 2016
Read 5 reviews
sorry Yogi, Tiago Apolonia and Mizutani has the best bh. No comparison.
In Europe from Young generation- Gerassimenko is worthy to mention, Karakasevic is my favourite
The most spectacular will be Kreanga.
Worldwide: FZD and only Ma Long can match with his BH.

In my opinion the best lookin bh movement all the time Youngsik.

Last edited: