Back to Forum

View Poll Results: What rubber color do you use on each side?

Voters
20. You need to be logged in to vote on this poll.
  • Red on FH and Black on BH

4 20.00%
  • Black on FH and Red on BH

16 80.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    says I've had the same rubber on my blade for a year and now it's literally melting

Advanced TTD Member 115 282
    says I've had the same rubber on my blade for a year and now it's literally melting

Advanced TTD Member 282 115

User Info Menu

Red on FH or BH and Black on FH or BH

So, I have a simple question for you guys:

I'm curious to know...
    What rubber color do you use on your backhand and forehand side?

I've noticed that most top players use Black on their FH and Red on their BH. I wonder why.

I use Red on FH Black on BH.

This user has no status.

Senior TTD Member 400 875
    L
    This user has no status.

Senior TTD Member 875 400

User Info Menu

Nov 2017
    United States
    Read 8 Reviews
    It doesn't matter.
    There's some old superstition about chinese hard/tacky rubbers that the black topsheets are more tacky than the red ones but that's pretty much it. And it's not true in any case.

The Following User Likes Lightzy's Post:

GusShnaps

says Grand Consultant to the Office of the Goon Squad

Master TTD Member 11,259 11,049
    says Grand Consultant to the Office of the Goon Squad

Master TTD Member 11,049 11,259

User Info Menu

I use whatever color I have handy given the rubbers I have or can source... no difference to me. I just have to make sure one rubber is black and one is red in color.

The Following 2 Users Like Der_Echte's Post:

GusShnaps and ttmonster

President, Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club. Hit us up on TTD or Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/koreaforeignttc

Janitor at NexyUSA TT Equipment Shop
    http://www.nexyusa.com

View our Lame Nexy USA corporate FB page
    http://www.facebook.com/nexyusa

This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 243 231
    D
    This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 231 243

User Info Menu

Dec 2018
    United States
    Read 1 Reviews
    Color doesn't matter to me either. I use the same rubber on both sides and try to switch forehand and backhand sides from one session to the next. This way I can change both rubbers at the same time even though my forehand wears down the rubber faster than my backhand. I also like to twiddle during matches just to confuse my opponent.

The Following 2 Users Like Dr Evil's Post:

ahammedislam and Ioiettino

This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 380 474
    T
    This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 474 380
    I generally use the tackier rubber on my forehand (same rubber both sides) whether that's the black or the red. There's rumors that black is more tacky or that red is tougher to see the angle of, but I don't know how much truth there is to that.

This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 389 496
    This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 496 389
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Evil
    I also like to twiddle during matches just to confuse my opponent.
    Ahah, Jedi mind tricks.

I couldn't do that with mine because my rubbers do feel slightly different, but that is due to individual variations in manufacturing (most likely sponge thickness, I can't see any difference in topsheet behaviour). The few times I picked up my bat and started playing with the wrong side, I could tell right away and actually lost a point recently due to looking at it halfway through the point ("'the heck??").
    So now I play holding my blade in reverse (branded logo indide my palm) as I like the spongier feeling of my black sheet on forehand more, not sure how much of a confusion this causes to my opponents...

The Following 2 Users Like Ioiettino's Post:

Dr Evil and Jacob

This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 2,405 3,489
    T
    This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 3,489 2,405

User Info Menu

Sep 2013
    South Africa
    Read 3 Reviews
    I use Black on my FH
    as H3 Neo Blue sponge doesn't come in Red

I have played with orange sponge red and black H3 Neo, and I felt the topsheet of black is more tacky

The Following 2 Users Like Tony's Table Tennis's Post:

eduardo1995filipe and fais

BYE BYE

says modestly attempting kōhaiship of Jeul-Tak

Master TTD Member 2,480 2,594
    says modestly attempting kōhaiship of Jeul-Tak

Master TTD Member 2,594 2,480
    I'm actually still grumpy about these rubber colour rules. Playing with a symmetrical blade (now) and the same rubbers, I actually would like them to be identical, so that I wouldn't even have to pay attention to the blade sides during gameplay. Rubber colour is just one more distraction I do not need.

Not only do I fondly remember my purple 729, a green Joola rubber I think Appelgren played with, a related blue rubber used by Waldner at some point; but I've also seen John Hilton play. Now his game probably formed one of the main motivations for these rules -- heavy twiddeling, footstamping and grunting when hitting the ball to mask the sound at impact, and so on.

When I saw him, the top players had caught on. Just a few months earlier, he had reduced Secrétin to a a bumbling fool at the table, and took the EU title, but this time he was utterly destroyed by all serious players, regardless of material. Wrecked, even though black and black.

The Following 2 Users Like yoass's Post:

mart1nandersson and Tony's Table Tennis

Last edited by yoass; 12-26-2018 at 10:54 AM.

This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 2,405 3,489
    T
    This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 3,489 2,405

User Info Menu

Sep 2013
    South Africa
    Read 3 Reviews
    Those good old days

I had a video of Waldner on my FB page.
    It just went viral again (even table tennis legend tours page shared it)
    Those days where its still 38mm, and the game is about the player pushing him/herself to speed and spin.
    and the magician himself made it look so simple

not this slowed down version today

here is the link

The Following User Likes Tony's Table Tennis's Post:

yoass

Last edited by Tony's Table Tennis; 12-26-2018 at 10:30 AM.
    BYE BYE

This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 42 446
    This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 446 42
    For me i feel the black is a softer rubber to the red version because of the dye , for me black has a better burst speed and red is better for long distance and tackyness maybe black is more but who knows
    but that is my 2 cents

This user has no status.

Senior TTD Member 1,175 860
    This user has no status.

Senior TTD Member 860 1,175
    I don't think it probably means a whole lot of difference but I've been playing Black on FH for so long now, I can't go back. I know it's weird.

This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 2,822 5,921
    This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 5,921 2,822
    For chinese rubbers it is always the black one that is softer and has more tack. In the case of sanwei target national red, i had a sheet that is super sticky compared to the black.

says Are you the ping to my pong?

Established TTD Member 125 148
    says Are you the ping to my pong?

Established TTD Member 148 125

User Info Menu

I play single side penhold so technically I use the same color on FH and BH :P

This user has no status.

Established TTD Member 29 142
    C
    This user has no status.

Established TTD Member 142 29
    Quote Originally Posted by yogi_bear
    For chinese rubbers it is always the black one that is softer and has more tack. In the case of sanwei target national red, i had a sheet that is super sticky compared to the black.
    I found some older Yinhe/Galaxy rubbers also have red rubbers tackier than black of same model. There was also LKT's "red diamond" and "black power" (red sheets named red diamond and vice versa) with red diamond one rated more spinny than black. But yeah generally black Chinese topsheets (especially DHS ones) are indeed more tacky and softer (more spin) and slower.

ESN rubbers also generally have black ones slightly softer, spinnier and slower than red, but difference is minimal in comparison to Chinese rubbers and probably not noticeable unless u have same rubber model on both sides and extra attention is paid to try figure out the difference.

Japanese rubbers tend to have red ones grippier than black (e.g. Butterfly and Yasaka, I would say Rakza X plays quite different in black and red), and i feel like that's the reason most Chinese pros uses Tenergies and Rakza X on their red backhands.

EDIT: to OP, I would say generally it does make sense to use black on FH (unless u use Japanese rubbers) due to how most players are generally more capable of brushing ball harder with FH, although most people probably just using black on forehand as they try to follow the pros' trend or they think it somehow looks cooler.
    Last edited by Cornerer; 12-27-2018 at 04:48 AM.

This user has no status.

Established TTD Member 83 178
    W
    This user has no status.

Established TTD Member 178 83

User Info Menu

It's funny to see that most people actually use black FH here as in France we have most people that use a red FH, personally i'm even a bit surprised when i see a black FH. Also chinese tacky rubbers are not really well known so there is not the idea black = more tacky. (p.s : Just my experience, maybe it's different for in other places but i've been to several clubs)

This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 1,061 2,230
    L
    This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 2,230 1,061
    Here most players play with the red on the FH too. As I use same rubbers both sides, I change sides frequently just to keep them in equal shape. I do feel a subtle difference between the red and the black, the red being somewhat "sharper", can't say if this is due to dye, or thickness deviations, but as its always, I doubt its the thickness.

This user has no status.

TTD Member 4 11
    D
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 11 4

User Info Menu

Apr 2017
    Afghanistan
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by langel
    Here most players play with the red on the FH too. As I use same rubbers both sides, I change sides frequently just to keep them in equal shape. I do feel a subtle difference between the red and the black, the red being somewhat "sharper", can't say if this is due to dye, or thickness deviations, but as its always, I doubt its the thickness.
    I always got the feeling red plays slightly quicker. I don't know if it's real or not?

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 1,061 2,230
    L
    This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 2,230 1,061
    Quote Originally Posted by Dixy
    I always got the feeling red plays slightly quicker. I don't know if it's real or not?

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
    I bet its real, though not for all kind of rubbers, maybe.
    I doubt that it could be felt with boosted rubbers, and I'm sure that it can't be felt with 4 - 8 layers of glue.

This user has no status.

Elite TTD Member 753 1,089
    This user has no status.

Elite TTD Member 1,089 753
    Quote Originally Posted by yoass
    I'm actually still grumpy about these rubber colour rules. Playing with a symmetrical blade (now) and the same rubbers, I actually would like them to be identical, so that I wouldn't even have to pay attention to the blade sides during gameplay. Rubber colour is just one more distraction I do not need.

Not only do I fondly remember my purple 729, a green Joola rubber I think Appelgren played with, a related blue rubber used by Waldner at some point; but I've also seen John Hilton play. Now his game probably formed one of the main motivations for these rules -- heavy twiddeling, footstamping and grunting when hitting the ball to mask the sound at impact, and so on.

When I saw him, the top players had caught on. Just a few months earlier, he had reduced Secrétin to a a bumbling fool at the table, and took the EU title, but this time he was utterly destroyed by all serious players, regardless of material. Wrecked, even though black and black.
    I believe that both J-O and Appelgren were sponsored by Banda already by the early 80ies. Red on both sides.

This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 189 280
    J
    This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 280 189
    Quote Originally Posted by mart1nandersson
    I believe that both J-O and Appelgren were sponsored by Banda already by the early 80ies. Red on both sides.
    Basically whole European top were playing with red on FH till Tenergy emerged in 2008 (including Boll, Samsonov, Schlager, Ovtcharov, Saive, Primorac, Stager...)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast