Zhang Jike Interview!

says yup.. from weibo haha :D
Oct 2011
In Zhang Jike's defense, I'd like to add that after the WTTC he suffered from some injuries as well, like his wrist and his back. Also the reason why Ma Long started to perform so well after WTTC is that he threw his chances at World Cup and Olympics Singles events there, so that pressure was off for him. So it is all down to himself that he can not participate in those events, and it is not Zhang Jike's fault that Ma Long didn't qualify for them ;).
Besides I think that Ma Long is Zhang Jike's major opponent, but Zhang is also Ma's major opponent. I believe that Ma Long is on the top of his game, and he can continue to do so for years, improving only the experience factor. Zhang still can improve parts of his game qua technique and speed. In terms of feeling and spin he is already ahead of Ma Long, but he has to catch up in terms of speed and power if he wants to beat him. I think he can do that.

True. I still believe and I won't stop believing that someday Zhang will overcome Ma Long.. Their careers are just starting! It's still a long way to go!

This user has no status.
I agree with you their careers are just starting and they are both improving and I am sure as well that sooner or later Ma Long will lose against Zhang Jike. But I still believe that Ma Long will be on the top for a while... Just waiting to see what happens... I just remember for the Austrian Open that I was nervious when Zhang was about to win...

says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
The rivalry between the Ma Long and Jike can only be good for the Chinese national team. I have this gut feeling that ma Long will be dominant for a while, but Jike will win some odd tournaments here and there. Somehow, it reminds me the rivalry between Ma Lin and Liqin in the last decade.

This user has no status.
I think it is about the Football EC. Netherlands doesn't play on the highest level in TT (men), I'm not sure about Spain. Germany has a good chance in football too though :p
yes It is true because Zhang's father is a die hard football fan and I thinks it is one of zhang's favorite sport

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
The rivalry between the Ma Long and Jike can only be good for the Chinese national team. I have this gut feeling that ma Long will be dominant for a while, but Jike will win some odd tournaments here and there. Somehow, it reminds me the rivalry between Ma Lin and Liqin in the last decade.

Agreed. I think Ma Long will be able to maintain a strong balance for a long period, while Zhang will peak at big tournaments and his level will drop after them. So Ma Long for WR #1, and Zhang Jike for the real deal titles :p

Reactions: Rajah*
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
Agreed. I think Ma Long will be able to maintain a strong balance for a long period, while Zhang will peak at big tournaments and his level will drop after them. So Ma Long for WR #1, and Zhang Jike for the real deal titles :p

Seems possible, but I still hope that Ma Long can manage to beat Zhang on big occasions too..

But lets not forget Xu Xin with huge talent and also Yan An or Gaoyuan can get pretty good too..
It will not be easy for anyone to stay at the top..

Oct 2011
Yes, these much younger players are also on their way to the top. I really wish Xu Xin to have a breakthrough this 2012. Like, defeating Wang Hao or like Dima or Timo Boll. Anyway, speaking of, let's greet Xu Xin a Happy Birthday!

Yan An, Fang Bo, Gao Yuan are also something to look forward to this 2012.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
hmm.. I dont buy it!
I still think his greatest opponent is and will be Ma Long and he knows it.. It is not himself..
And he totally has to regret he didnt won Grand Finals, I bet he wanted to win it..

When you are talking about a guy who got kicked off the Chinese National Team and it was not because he was not good enough, if you really think about it, Zhang Jike might be right. Also when you look at what a slow starter he is, which is totally a mental issue, he is his own worst enemy, in ways that Ma Long could never be. In the end, who cares if Ma Long wins matches against him. He is the one who has to do the work to get to the #1 or #2 slot. They all know what he needs to work on. He is the one who has to do that. And if you think about how he missed years of training as a National Team Member right when it was soooo important and is still #2. Imagine how good he might be if he never had gotten kicked off the team. Think about it.

Fighting human opponents is way easier than fighting your own demons.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rajah*
Oct 2011
When you are talking about a guy who got kicked off the Chinese National Team and it was not because he was not good enough, if you really think about it, Zhang Jike might be right. Also when you look at what a slow starter he is, which is totally a mental issue, he is his own worst enemy, in ways that Ma Long could never be. In the end, who cares if Ma Long wins matches against him. He is the one who has to do the work to get to the #1 or #2 slot. They all know what he needs to work on. He is the one who has to do that. And if you think about how he missed years of training as a National Team Member right when it was soooo important and is still #2. Imagine how good he might be if he never had gotten kicked off the team. Think about it.

Fighting human opponents is way easier than fighting your own demons.

Good point! In Zhang Jike's case right now, he's opponent is really himself. He needs to challenge his own abilities. He needs to overcome himself. Right now, he's having a hard time defeating Ma Long, yes, that's why he needs to defeat himself and have a breakthrough. :)