Chinese Dominance

This user has no status.
What do you guys think about China's dominance? Do you enjoy watching China destroy everyone at the big tournaments like they always do, or do you like to see other players upset chinese players? I personally think that it's better for the sport whenever someone else win a big tournament over chinese players because it's very rare to see that happen while seeing a chinese player win a title is nothing unexpected. Curious to hear your opinion on this topic.

This user has no status.
In terms of skills of course they are the best an no one is doubting that. However for competition and more interest in the sport sake, i think it would be great to see a more even battle between China and the rest of the world as for the longest time the results have been extremely one sided, especially at the major events like WTTC and Olympics. It does seem like as of late we're seeing more upsets but they are still too few and far between and they mostly happen at pro tours. We have yet to see it happen at WTTC and Olympics. Well, here's hoping for 2019 and 2020.

Reactions: Simas
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
China’s dominance will not go away anytime soon but I think it would be good for the sport if other countries would win some major titles. Mainly thinking of countries like Brazil and India which could really help the sport grow due to their massive populations.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I have No problem with that they win everything But i think they play a little boring. Feel like the chinese are machines that play almost the same. With the new ball the play is even more boring. It is alot of pang pang, alot of power and less Finesse. It is fun to see players that play different and not like all others. Diversity is good for the sport.

This user has no status.
Do you seriously not see the distinct differences in styles between XX, FZD, ML, LJK and others? XX alone is more interesting to watch than players from any other countries combined. There's always something that surprises me during his match.
I'm talking purely from a results point of view, not about the styles or skills.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Do you seriously not see the distinct differences in styles between XX, FZD, ML, LJK and others? XX alone is more interesting to watch than players from any other countries combined. There's always something that surprises me during his match.

I agree that Xu xin is fun to watch. Maybe i have not watched enough chinese play, To notice the difference. I think the old chinese like ma lin, wang liqin, want hao, kong lingui, Liu gouliang played more different. But Maybe Im wrong, it is just my opinion. But i can not blame china, if they win with one type of style they proably use it for others to. It would be interesting if china started loosing, if they would invent something new or how and if they would change the style of play.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Why does it matter where the winner comes from? If it's not about the style or skill, like you said.

I don't see the machine/robot connection to the chinese players. What I do see are professionals who are very passionate about what they do. That is something to be admired. I wish I could put that many hours of practice in, in those surroundings.

I'm talking purely from a results point of view, not about the styles or skills.

says https://www.facebook.com/eduardo.eduard.33/videos/vb.1000...
says https://www.facebook.com/eduardo.eduard.33/videos/vb.1000...
Apr 2015
Read 2 reviews
In nowadays table tennis, I love watching most of chinese players and also some non-chinese players. I think their dominance will mantain, but they will have to work for gold, like some generagions ago!

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
The comments about the Chinese playing the same and like machine are so hilarious(read ignorant). Please spare 10 mins of your attention on the following video about Archery.

Foreign archers tend to pursue the sport from a recreational perspective, rather than their stance or form. Korean archers, not only professional athletes but amateurs emphasise the form. We have a different mind-set toward mastering fundamental skills.

When Korean kids are younger, they train with the rubber band, an elastic band. They don't go to a bow right away, so they focus on form. And form again and again. But in America, they focus on where the arrow lands. So they don't really focus on form that much.

How they teach, all the coaches have the same direction. They work towards...so it's all the same technique that they have learned to the archers. So when they come from high school to university, they can take off where they left from high school.

Reactions: RidTheKid and vvk1