Der_Echte in Copenhagen

BB,

You have prolly heard the song from Joe Dassin from way back in the day about your screen name...

LOL, it's an old nickname of mine; got the idea from David Bowie "Fashion".

and thought it was a cool nickname, like a robot or something :)

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Hi Der_Echte and Beep-Beep,

I am also a player from Amager BTk. I might join you two if you succeed to arrange something...
Hey Ninja, more the merrier. Keep watching this thread. Glad to run into you all.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

BB, my USATT rating is low/mid 1900s. I was Div 2 City in Korea. I have zero idea which division in Danish system I would play.

I play singles OK and doubles way better.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I think that 1900 equals 1750-1800 in Danish rating; but I am not sure.

You are better than me, for sure (i have have 1480) - but I am sure we will find some players on your level you can play with. I will check it out at training today.

In Danmark there are 4 national divisions:

Stigadivision
1. division
2. division
3. division

And then there are regional leagues (We are Østdanmark (East-denmark)).
Here we have 6 divisions:

Østserien
Serie 1
Serie 2
Serie 3
Serie 4
Serie 5.

I win a littler over half of my matches in serie 3.

My guess is, that serie 1 would be the most fitting for you in Denmark (the nextbest regional division).

Looking forward to see you next thursday.

Reactions: Der_Echte
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Super Moderator
Mar 2012
Read 20 reviews
In Danmark there are 4 national divisions:

Stigadivision
1. division
2. division
3. division

And then there are regional leagues (We are Østdanmark (East-denmark)).
Here we have 6 divisions:

Østserien
Serie 1
Serie 2
Serie 3
Serie 4
Serie 5.

I win a littler over half of my matches in serie 3.

My guess is, that serie 1 would be the most fitting for you in Denmark (the nextbest regional division).

Looking forward to see you next thursday.
D_e should play Serie 1 if he was playin in Denmark. Amager is a decent club and if you are staying nearby then everything is perfect. Alec is a good guy. I was coaching him once he was in Aarhus. Try to meet up with him. I would guess you are kind of same level.

I think that 1900 equals 1750-1800 in Danish rating; but I am not sure.

You are better than me, for sure (i have have 1480) - but I am sure we will find some players on your level you can play with. I will check it out at training today.

I have now found out, that rating varies a lot from area to area in the US.

In NY the rating should be similar to Denmark; so definetely serie 1, a solid serie 1-player :)

Reactions: Der_Echte
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
My rating would be higher if I stayed and played in NYC area... but I am going not just cross-country, but oversees after long flight and also some driving and settling in my family for the Copenhagen stay.... so there should be some pressure on me to play a little lower level of play.

Next Level, Carl and a few other TTD-ers might let on that I sandbag... but honestly, I try to win every point and every game and every match I play. I just do a few things better than players of my level, but I earn the level I am at, because I do not do certain things as well. Maybe it is because when I write up match action, I highlight what my friends or opponents do well and belittle some stuff about me.

I still think Thursday is gunna be the day I show up, but I will know better once I am in Copenhagen next week. I think Thursday will work out for Alec.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Beep-Beep said:
LOL, it's an old nickname of mine; got the idea from David Bowie "Fashion"
and thought it was a cool nickname, like a robot or something :)

If you watch that vid again, you might see David Bowie mention the arrival of the "Goon Squad" to NYC sometime right before he goes Beep Beep.

See, the Goon Squad is everywhere.

BB, you remember how/when/why I started all the Goon Squad nonsense on TTD?

Reactions: Beep-Beep
If you watch that vid again, you might see David Bowie mention the arrival of the "Goon Squad" to NYC sometime right before he goes Beep Beep.

See, the Goon Squad is everywhere.

BB, you remember how/when/why I started all the Goon Squad nonsense on TTD?

No, I have noticed it; but not sure of the precise meaning...

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
A Goon Squad in real life is a team of men hired by and loyal to a person or outfit to cruelly enforce their positions gangster style tough by overpowering or threatening. If a Goon Squad visited you or your place, usually the Goon Squad would destroy property and people with much violence, or at least the threat of it. After the Goon Squad visited, the ones visited no longer have a will to resist.

IDK, 4-5 years ago, there was a thread on TTD about Pro versions of Tenergy and National versions of Hurricane and so forth. As comedy, I saw a chance to make a joke out of the whole "Pro" or "National" rubber thing.

Usually, these rubbers are made exclusively for the pros or national team and it is highly unauthorized for these rubbers to make it outside the hands of the few select. It was a huge positive status to possess such a rubber, even more to sell one. If you had more than one of them, you must have stolen it from a pro or national team... or committed espionage to get more than one.

The thread involved many people openly having many of these rubbers. So, since it is "Illegal" (in the eyes of the rubber makers) to have 2 or more, the TT companies would need to "Enforce" their position and strike fear into those who were encroaching on their sacred and sole source of power.

In such a case, the outfit would send out a team of 2 to 20 "Goon Squad" to tear up the place or persons doing this. That would violently punish those having the rare unauthorized rubbers and serve as a way to scare the living crap out of everyone else to keep them in line.

So, I made the comment that BTY, DHS, etc were "Sending out the Goon Squad".

This became a kind of TTD inside joke. Older members remember this, newer members see the occasional reference to the Goon Squad and are like WTF?

The Goon Squad term got driven by Upside Down Carl and Co, who got many a laugh out of the phrase used just right. The Goon Squad turned into a tough, really keystone cops stupid, yet dangerous enforcement team who really seemed to be constantly chasing after Carl... but Carl was always 3 steps ahead of them and plotting ways to entrap them to fall down a secret trap door into a one week confinement a dark, rat infested basement septic tank. Carl used his "SpyPhone", which was an Apple Smartphone somehow caught the wrong gamma rays and had got some serious capabilities. Then Carl got better equipment with even more capabilities.

You get the idea, we made a running inside joke out of the term Goon Squad.

Later, whenever myself and several TTD members could meetup in NYC, it evolved into a gathering of the Goon Squad. If you saw Next Level, Der_Echte, and a few other members together, we were not exactly 1.6 meter 50 kg people.

Years later, anytime multiple TTD members could get together somewhere for TT and mayhem, it would also be a Goon Squad gathering.

In the David Bowie video, the Goon Squad he was referring to was himself and some others entering NYC to strong arm the fashion scene and force it to go a certain way.

So, wherever I go, I make it a mission to find other TTD members and get them together having fun. It is my personal way to cause trouble. Usually, we take pics or a few vids and post them to the thread. It is a great way of community and recording the brand of fun we Table Tennis players enjoy.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
A Goon Squad in real life is a team of men hired by and loyal to a person or outfit to cruelly enforce their positions gangster style tough by overpowering or threatening. If a Goon Squad visited you or your place, usually the Goon Squad would destroy property and people with much violence, or at least the threat of it. After the Goon Squad visited, the ones visited no longer have a will to resist.

IDK, 4-5 years ago, there was a thread on TTD about Pro versions of Tenergy and National versions of Hurricane and so forth. As comedy, I saw a chance to make a joke out of the whole "Pro" or "National" rubber thing.

Usually, these rubbers are made exclusively for the pros or national team and it is highly unauthorized for these rubbers to make it outside the hands of the few select. It was a huge positive status to possess such a rubber, even more to sell one. If you had more than one of them, you must have stolen it from a pro or national team... or committed espionage to get more than one.

The thread involved many people openly having many of these rubbers. So, since it is "Illegal" (in the eyes of the rubber makers) to have 2 or more, the TT companies would need to "Enforce" their position and strike fear into those who were encroaching on their sacred and sole source of power.

In such a case, the outfit would send out a team of 2 to 20 "Goon Squad" to tear up the place or persons doing this. That would violently punish those having the rare unauthorized rubbers and serve as a way to scare the living crap out of everyone else to keep them in line.

This became a kind of TTD inside joke. Older members remember this, newer members see the occasional reference to the Goon Squad and are like WTF?

The Goon Squad term got driven by Upside Down Carl and Co, who got many a laugh out of the phrase used just right. The Goon Squad turned into a tough, really keystone cops stupid, yet dangerous enforcement team who really seemed to be constantly chasing after Carl... but Carl was always 3 steps ahead of them and plotting ways to entrap them to fall down a secret trap door into a one week confinement a dark, rat infested basement septic tank. Carl used his "SpyPhone", which was an Apple Smartphone somehow caught the wrong gamma rays and had got some serious capabilities. Then Carl got better equipment with even more capabilities.

Later, whenever myself and several TTD members could meetup in NYC, it evolved into a gathering of the Goon Squad. If you saw Next Level, Der_Echte, and a few other members together, we were not exactly 1.6 meter 50 kg people.

Years later, anytime multiple TTD members could get together somewhere for TT and mayhem, it would also be a Goon Squad gathering.

In the David Bowie video, the Goon Squad he was referring to was himself and some others entering NYC to strong arm the fashion scene and force it to go a certain way.

So, wherever I go, I make it a mission to find other TTD members and get them together having fun. It is my personal way to cause trouble. Usually, we take pics or a few vids and post them to the thread. It is a great way of community and recording the brand of fun we Table Tennis players enjoy.

Perfectly worded. Whenever these reappearing questions about the Goon Squad come up this should be quoted. Good job, Der_Echte. Beautiful!

Appealing and frightening at the same time! - looking forward to meeting the Goon Squad :)

"
But I never thought they'd put me in the...
Goon Squad!
They've come to look you over and they're giving you the eye
Goon Squad!
They want you to come out to play
You'd better say goodbye
"

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I heared of the Volvo arangment but thought it concerned a trip to Sweden.
If you ever visit Amsterdam for whatever reason you're welcome at Tempo-team, the best club in town. Open almost 24/7!

Hmmm... sounds like an opportunity to meet beep beep and crew... then invade your club for a Goon Squad confrontation.

For the best interests of all, maybe we just assemble in one place... but what the heck, these Viking invasion missions to other places with friends (to meet even more new friends) are pure fun too.