Hugo Calderano on Team Xiom

This user has no status.
Answers to your questions,

Cornilleau didn't give up on table tennis. They are very much in table tennis!
It is just that they want to concentrate more on Leisure than Professional.
XIOM as one of the strongest professional table tennis brand, Hugo signed a professional contract with XIOM. :)

As for the equipment, he is already using our rubber.
As for the blade we are still working on it.

We are very pleased to have him joined our TEAM XIOM.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Players are not obliged to use the equipment they promote if it will affect their game.

that sound counterintuitive to me.

If someone is promoting a brand (a.k.a saying that it's a good stuff) and is playing with another, he is signalling that the other brand, the one he is playing, is the better then the former. So the brand he "promotes" gets not a positive, not neutral, but a negative image.. imho..

Reactions: thomas.pong and JST
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017

XIOM as one of the strongest professional table tennis brand, Hugo signed a professional contract with XIOM. :)

That's very cool. Congratulations

Why ain't he using the new ice cream blades released

That's a very good question. Somehow I feel that Ice cream blades are for amateurs/ advanced or high level amateurs like us. Who like TT, like doing some EJ, who play or train regularly, but still are searching for the holy grail of equipment for their unperfect style/ technique.

Pro's don't have such problem, they invested thousands and thousand of hours in their technique and it is perfected and polished using the conventional blades and don't need technical solutions to compensate for smth... (Don't know if I articulated what I meant good enough...). So I don't think we are going to see any Pro any time soon playing with a hybrid blade.

What are other opinions on that? Especially hills4ever?

Then you have not checked why zjk uses hurricane 3 in the forehand when he is sponsored by buttery and why waldner uses tenergy 05 instead of donic rubbers.
that sound counterintuitive to me.

If someone is promoting a brand (a.k.a saying that it's a good stuff) and is playing with another, he is signalling that the other brand, the one he is playing, is the better then the former. So the brand he "promotes" gets not a positive, not neutral, but a negative image.. imho..

This user has no status.

Can you specify which rubbers at this time? Will the blade be released for public or is it custom for Hugo?

Reactions: thomas.pong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Then you have not checked why zjk uses hurricane 3 in the forehand when he is sponsored by buttery and why waldner uses tenergy 05 instead of donic rubbers.

that's a good point. maybe because it is nearly impossible to fake the rubbers you are using. You just can't switch a logo on the rubber as you can switch the blade handle. So maybe the exception you are talking about is specifically meant for the rubbers? Cause generally the players are using at least the handles from the blades of the brands they are sponsored.

Last edited:
It is not about faking rubbers or blades. If you have been long enough in this forum, there are plenty of threads here that players do not use the equipment they are advertised. If you even just cou t the chibese national team players that do this we will not be even having this discussion.

JST

This user has no status.

JST

This user has no status.
Nov 2017
I see Ice cream blades being marketed clearly with JYS's name so it makes sense that Hugo will get another product named by him (even if it will be very close to one of AZX blades)

When it comes to equipment and sponsoring: when some brand sponsors a team it's for brand presence on the apparel. I believe it's OK that for key parts of equipment athletes use what they want (like hockey sticks and skates in NHL - independent on which brand gets a contract for the jerseys) and it doesn't harm the image. But if you are signed by specific brand as individual and you promote specific equipment by your name then it's definitely harms the image if you use product of another brand on the court. It simply gives a signal that your brand isn't able to deliver the same quality/properties and that you as athlete don't work with them closely enough to achieve that. Can you do it (like many TT players do with Tenergy rubbers)? Sure. Does it signal something to the customer (e.g. that Tenergy and overall Butterfly products are superior on the highest performance level)? Sure.

says Looking for the BH killer shot
says Looking for the BH killer shot
Sep 2015
Read 8 reviews
Well. At least Hugo is already accustomed to ESN material. The rubbers he is currently using are from ESN and XIOMs are also produced there. It will be easy to give him the "perfect" rubber with a XIOM Logo. Whether this rubber is equal to what you can buy in the shops is another story. I definitly know that ESN is producing special pro player versions of the Tibhar Evolutions, so why woulnd't they produce special one for Cornilleau or XIOM.

With respect to the blade..Calderano has been using no composite blades so far. He always went with an all wood setup. I doubt that he will be changing to an composite blade soon. But XIOM has track record for good all wood blades as well. Let's wait and see, how this develops.

Will be interesting to see, if he is already using new equipement in German Final Four Tournament this weekend...

Reactions: thomas.pong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
I see Ice cream blades being marketed clearly with JYS's name so it makes sense that Hugo will get another product named by him (even if it will be very close to one of AZX blades)

When it comes to equipment and sponsoring: when some brand sponsors a team it's for brand presence on the apparel. I believe it's OK that for key parts of equipment athletes use what they want (like hockey sticks and skates in NHL - independent on which brand gets a contract for the jerseys) and it doesn't harm the image. But if you are signed by specific brand as individual and you promote specific equipment by your name then it's definitely harms the image if you use product of another brand on the court. It simply gives a signal that your brand isn't able to deliver the same quality/properties and that you as athlete don't work with them closely enough to achieve that. Can you do it (like many TT players do with Tenergy rubbers)? Sure. Does it signal something to the customer (e.g. that Tenergy and overall Butterfly products are superior on the highest performance level)? Sure.

I don't believe NHL has brand advertisements on jerseys. NBA is considering it, I've heard. MLS does, but this practice is widely accepted in soccer worldwide. American major sports are weird that way, at least for now.

JST

This user has no status.

JST

This user has no status.
Nov 2017
I don't believe NHL has brand advertisements on jerseys. NBA is considering it, I've heard. MLS does, but this practice is widely accepted in soccer worldwide. American major sports are weird that way, at least for now.

There is no classic big logo such as soccer jerseys in Europe leagues but you can see that it was contracted to adidas and they switched recently to Reebok. And companies pay huge money for that even if there is just little sticker on the jersey itself... what I mean is that either club or league sponsoring with apparel has different status for consumers (at least me) then actual name of the athlete on the blade. Think about tennis players: few of them have single sponsor for clothing and shoes and racket but most of them have one for each. However if you are Wilson sponsored player like Federer there are no doubts he is using Wilson frame. Similar for golf players (no doubts that Tiger was using Nike gear and now TaylorMade when Nike stopped making those). I'm not sure why this is necessary in table tennis...

Reactions: pgpg
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Read 2 reviews

Well, ZJK does use T05 on BH - and his BH over the table is/was the showcase for T05 awesomeness, so BTY sponsoring him is logical. Ditto for Samsonov/Dinkhall and Tibhar.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2018
$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Don't basically all these pros make more from endorsements than they actually do say winnings from tournaments?

I don't blame him. Get you money Hugo.
I'm actually thinking that maybe Cornilleau themselves didn't want to renew the contracts, since Gauzy and Hugo left at the same time. Maybe they will really focus on leisure.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2018
When did he join andro?
It was posted on Andro's Brazilian Facebook page yesterday.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=554005385115026&id=100015167074694
6448db4129675be87acb89e8a9865811.jpg