Umpire serve questions

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Questions

Server

Can a player hide his paddle during the serve .. before contact with the ball ?

Receiver

Can a player hide his paddle during the serve ?

This is described in ITTF's Laws of Table Tennis. The following is the relevant bit pertaining to the service. Note that there's nothing about the racket, but you can infer where it needs to be when hitting the ball: above table surface level, behind the end line. With nothing obscuring the view of the ball and the racket having to touch the ball at that position, the racket must be visible.

2.6 THE SERVICE
2.6.1 Service shall start with the ball resting freely on the open palm of the server's stationary free hand.
2.6.2 The server shall then project the ball near vertically upwards, without imparting spin, so that it rises at least 16cm after leaving the palm of the free hand and then falls without touching anything before being struck.
2.6.3 As the ball is falling the server shall strike it so that it touches first his or her court and then touches directly the receiver's court; in doubles, the ball shall touch successively the right half court of server and receiver.
2.6.4 From the start of service until it is struck, the ball shall be above the level of the playing surface and behind the server's end line, and it shall not be hidden from the receiver by the server or his or her doubles partner or by anything they wear or carry.
2.6.5 As soon as the ball has been projected, the server’s free arm and hand shall be removed from the space between the ball and the net.The space between the ball and the net is defined by the ball, the net and its indefinite upward extension.
2.6.6 It is the responsibility of the player to serve so that the umpire or the assistant umpire can be satisfied that he or she complies with the requirements of the Laws, and either may decide that a service is incorrect.
2.6.6.1 If either the umpire or the assistant umpire is not sure about the legality of a service he or she may, on the first occasion in a match, interrupt play and warn the server; but any subsequent service by that player or his or her doubles partner which is not clearly legal shall be considered incorrect.
2.6.7 Exceptionally, the umpire may relax the requirements for a correct service where he or she is satisfied that compliance is prevented by physical disability.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
Questions

Server

Can a player hide his paddle during the serve .. before contact with the ball ?

Receiver

Can a player hide his paddle during the serve ?
Yes and yes.

Sent fra min SM-A520F via Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
Before play starts his paddle can even touch the table, I think (as FZD often does)
Receiver can hide whatever he wants to.

I am pretty sure that the server is allowed to hide his paddle before ball contact as well. I did not have a look at the rules again but I think it only says that the ball has to be visible at any time (and nothing about the paddle).

Sent from my ZTE Grand S II LTE using Tapatalk

says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
Yes it's legal. I know some players who actually start their serves with their racket on their shoulder, hidden behind their heads.

Weird but true. Great servers too, for some reason.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
I bet a lot of players didn't know the rules about this situation.

What are the reporting requirements if a minor is found to have committed an anti-doping rule violation? I bet a lot of players don't know the rules about this situation.

What is the order of play in doubles if one player is in a wheelchair? I bet a lot of players don't know the rules about this situation.

If a game has been going for 10 minutes and the players are locked in a deuce situation, can they request the introduction of the expedite system?
Can a match consist of the best of 19 games?
Is it allowable to have any material on the striking surface of the blade other than rubber?

You get my drift?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
What are the reporting requirements if a minor is found to have committed an anti-doping rule violation? I bet a lot of players don't know the rules about this situation.

What is the order of play in doubles if one player is in a wheelchair? I bet a lot of players don't know the rules about this situation.

If a game has been going for 10 minutes and the players are locked in a deuce situation, can they request the introduction of the expedite system?
Can a match consist of the best of 19 games?
Is it allowable to have any material on the striking surface of the blade other than rubber?

You get my drift?

I don't think your situations are as relevant as my questions which happen every point of every game !

Start a thread for yours.

says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
ittf directives for the umpire on duty.

10.4 striking the ball

10.4.1 the ball must not be struck until it is falling from the highest point in its trajectory. At
the moment of contact with the racket the ball must be above the level of the playing
surface and behind the end line.

10.5 visibility
10.5.1 the primary requirement of the current service law is for the server to ensure that the
receiver can see the ball throughout the service, and the umpire or assistant umpire
must be satisfied that this is the case. The umpire or assistant umpire should look to
see that the ball is not hidden from the receiver at any stage by any part of the body, or
anything he or she or his or her doubles partner is wearing or carrying, and that the
server’s free arm, which includes the free hand, is moved from the space between the
ball and the net, as soon as he or she releases the ball.

10.5.2 the ball must be above the level of the playing surface at the start of service.
there is, however, no specific requirement for the receiver to be able to see the racket
throughout service, and the server may quite legitimately begin service with the racket
concealed, for example, behind his or her back.

10.5.3 from their positions in line with the net it may be impractical for the umpire and/or the
assistant umpire to judge whether the ball is struck illegally if it is struck close to the
end line or beside a player’s body. It is, however, the responsibility of the player to
serve so that the correctness of his or her service action can be seen and if he or she
serves near the margins of illegality he or she runs the risk of being penalised.

Last edited: