New Butterfly rubber "Dignics 05" 2019

NDH

says Spin to win!
Well, I don't think I need to justify my purchase because of the price, I switch my rubbers monthly (at least for my FH), and $105 tbh just isn't that much for me to worry about, if it were say over $150, then I might start questioning if it's worth the price, but still it's not such a big price tag I can't afford monthly.

As for videos, if you are asking if I've uploaded videos for table tennis, then the answer is no, don't like taking videos or photos of myself, unless I'm in a racing suit on the track. :D And I'm not sure the level I'm playing at, somewhere between 1800 to 2000 points I think, I never registered with USATT but I'm considering doing that, have been playing a few local tournaments and had a few wins and loses against players of the same ratings so that's how I get the reference.

This is why it's so hard to compare opinions - I personally would vote for rough ratings, and any interesting pieces of information to be visible when we post.....

For you, it would be "I'm happy to spend $105 per month on my forehand rubber".

That's not meant to be negative, and it's great you are in a position to do that, but from what I've seen and know, your financial position is not representative of the masses who play this sport.

Therefore, when you say how amazing it is, and Dignics offers you value for money, it's because you don't see $105 per month on one sheet of rubber as expensive.......

I have no idea what my USTT rating is - I've been told it would be around 2250, but that's just from videos and UK results etc - Very hard to compare.

Most people at my level would change their rubbers every 3-4 months at most - Some would be every 6 months, and others would be once per year. You'd have to be in a very good financial position to do it any more, as the extra performance you'd get from the rubber wouldn't justify the expense.

Clearly, you are in a position where you don't need to worry about the money, and it would appear that it's more of a hobby than anything else (if you aren't registered with the USTT and only playing a few local tournaments, I'm guessing it's not that serious to you?)

Again, I'm not taking away from your opinions - I'm just trying to add some context to it.

Ultimately though, without any video, it's very hard to take anyone's opinion seriously.

For all we know, you could be a rich guy who has zero technique and doesn't play much (I'm not saying you are, I'm just highlighting the importance of sharing video evidence if you want your feedback to be taken more seriously).

Reactions: Atas Newton and JST
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019
I know Duke said you are missing out on a lot of fun, but I'll be brutally honest...... You aren't.

At best, you are missing out on 1% performance, but again, it's questionable.

That is the consensus of pretty much everyone I know who has tried the rubber. At the same time, everyone would switch from T05 to Dignics if they could get both rubbers for free.

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews
This is why it's so hard to compare opinions - I personally would vote for rough ratings, and any interesting pieces of information to be visible when we post.....

For you, it would be "I'm happy to spend $105 per month on my forehand rubber".

That's not meant to be negative, and it's great you are in a position to do that, but from what I've seen and know, your financial position is not representative of the masses who play this sport.

Therefore, when you say how amazing it is, and Dignics offers you value for money, it's because you don't see $105 per month on one sheet of rubber as expensive.......

I have no idea what my USTT rating is - I've been told it would be around 2250, but that's just from videos and UK results etc - Very hard to compare.

Most people at my level would change their rubbers every 3-4 months at most - Some would be every 6 months, and others would be once per year. You'd have to be in a very good financial position to do it any more, as the extra performance you'd get from the rubber wouldn't justify the expense.

Clearly, you are in a position where you don't need to worry about the money, and it would appear that it's more of a hobby than anything else (if you aren't registered with the USTT and only playing a few local tournaments, I'm guessing it's not that serious to you?)

Again, I'm not taking away from your opinions - I'm just trying to add some context to it.

Ultimately though, without any video, it's very hard to take anyone's opinion seriously.

For all we know, you could be a rich guy who has zero technique and doesn't play much (I'm not saying you are, I'm just highlighting the importance of sharing video evidence if you want your feedback to be taken more seriously).

I guess I never considered the price a problem since I can afford it, my bad for not doing so. But let's say if you are changing rubbers every 3 months, and you were using Tenergy 05, isn't that only a difference of $25 over three months which is like $8.33 per month? Or if it is over a 6 month period it's like $4.17 per month? I'm not saying money is nothing but if I'm paying a bit over $4 a month to get something I really like, that's a no brainer. Anyway, price is only one part of the equation, and it's on the lower end of the scale.

And guess you are right. I'm only playing as a hobby, I train three times a week which I don't think is a lot, but I have to do other stuff to keep my hobby funded :D.

Last edited:
Reactions: cerebro

NDH

says Spin to win!
I guess I never considered the price a problem since I can afford it, my bad for not doing so. But let's say if you are changing rubbers 3 months, and you were using Tenergy 05, isn't that only a difference of $25 over three months which is like $8.33 per month? Or if it is over a 6 month period it's like $4.17 per month? I'm not saying money is nothing but if I'm paying a bit over $4 a month to get something I really like, that's a no brainer. Anyway, price is only one part of the equation, and it's on the lower end of the scale.

And guess you are right. I'm only playing as a hobby, I train three times a week which I don't think is a lot, but I have to do other stuff to keep my hobby funded :D.

The price is always a difficult one - A lot of people already think Tenergy is too expensive in comparison to others.

I use it because I find the longevity to be the best, and therefore the "cost per week" is about the same as a cheaper rubber that doesn't last as long (yet I get the benefits of using Tenergy).

Like I said before, if Dignics offered me another month of performance, you'd argue it was priced on par with Tenergy (when it comes down to "cost per month" for example).

That being said, the entry point is high, and right now, it's impossible to tell if it will last longer than Tenergy.

So comparing them from the limited hit I had yesterday, and not having to worry about longevity, I couldn't recommend Dignics at it's current price point over Tenergy.

But, I didn't have a proper hit with it, so I couldn't NOT recommend it either (if that makes sense).

To me, it felt like another rubber in the Tenergy family, and for the price difference/marketing, I was expecting something a little bit different.

But, you'll have to keep us posted on how long it lasts - I'll be pairing the Harimoto blade with T05 and T05 Hard very soon, so we can compare!

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews
The price is always a difficult one - A lot of people already think Tenergy is too expensive in comparison to others.

I use it because I find the longevity to be the best, and therefore the "cost per week" is about the same as a cheaper rubber that doesn't last as long (yet I get the benefits of using Tenergy).

Like I said before, if Dignics offered me another month of performance, you'd argue it was priced on par with Tenergy (when it comes down to "cost per month" for example).

That being said, the entry point is high, and right now, it's impossible to tell if it will last longer than Tenergy.

So comparing them from the limited hit I had yesterday, and not having to worry about longevity, I couldn't recommend Dignics at it's current price point over Tenergy.

But, I didn't have a proper hit with it, so I couldn't NOT recommend it either (if that makes sense).

To me, it felt like another rubber in the Tenergy family, and for the price difference/marketing, I was expecting something a little bit different.

But, you'll have to keep us posted on how long it lasts - I'll be pairing the Harimoto blade with T05 and T05 Hard very soon, so we can compare!

I will try, can't guarantee how long until I change rubbers lol, but I'm also eager to see how well the durability is. As Tenergy rubbers are quite crispy compared to Hurricane, as in some times I go a bit too low on short chop/push and the edge of the rubber rubs against the table, and the edge of the rubber will crack in some cases. But I can still compare the rubber to tenergy 05 after a month usage and see if it degrades the same, or stays in better condition. Also, I put in roughly 20 hours of play time per week, so that's ~80 per month as a reference.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018

how much do you use your rubber ? training hours /sessions?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Tenergy is brittle, yes. You can put a H3 through a mower and the mower would break first.

I will try, can't guarantee how long until I change rubbers lol, but I'm also eager to see how well the durability is. As Tenergy rubbers are quite crispy compared to Hurricane, as in some times I go a bit too low on short chop/push and the edge of the rubber rubs against the table, and the edge of the rubber will crack in some cases. But I can still compare the rubber to tenergy 05 after a month usage and see if it degrades the same, or stays in better condition. Also, I put in roughly 20 hours of play time per week, so that's ~80 per month as a reference.

Reactions: yoass
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Dignics 09C and Tenergy 09C will of course change the game.

I heartily agree, although for the first time in history the revolution will be shared between two distinct, unique rubbers, Dignics and Tenergy. I anticipate we will look back at their launch as the "09c Revolution" and be struck, as the scientific world eventually looked at the Theories of Relativity were so struck, as just how profound an event as it was.

An open item, of course, as with all revolutions, is the cost. Soon there will be universal agreement that Dignics 05 is, in effect, inexpensive relative to its value, so this positions Butterfly to break more pricing records, despite having just done so with all the fanfare of Dignics 05. My sense of history leads my thought to the great Roger Bannister's four minute mile milestone that was quickly achieved by others once his breakthrough was a reality. There was with Bannister the phenomenon of psychological momentum that accounted for the immediately-expressed subsequent achievements. I anticipate this same momentum with the pricing for this Revolution too.

On a side note: Intermixed in my excitement for the upcoming World's, I eagerly await our fine corps of EJers' close up photos of the real rackets of our champions to determine just what equipment is really being used, especially in the current context of the availability of Dignics 05 and Tenergy 09c (and, maybe, Dignics 09c).

Thanks.

Reactions: whocarez
This user has no status.
I guess I never considered the price a problem since I can afford it, my bad for not doing so. But let's say if you are changing rubbers every 3 months, and you were using Tenergy 05, isn't that only a difference of $25 over three months which is like $8.33 per month? Or if it is over a 6 month period it's like $4.17 per month? I'm not saying money is nothing but if I'm paying a bit over $4 a month to get something I really like, that's a no brainer. Anyway, price is only one part of the equation, and it's on the lower end of the scale.

How strange you didn't think about price?

This user has no status.
Well, I'm confident because I consider English as a second language even though I started speaking it when I was one and basically learnt Mandarin at the same time. And I've been speaking with people who learnt English as a second language my whole life, so I know sometimes one might think in a different language as they're speaking/writing which make things sounds weird, but if you think a bit more you'll get the true meaning. I'm not saying I'm 100% correct, I'm just saying that instead of saying her comment is contradicting the listed stats by Butterfly, what she really was trying to say is the dwell time is longer, which makes more sense. Also "longer time" in most cases means "slower", maybe that's just how she was thinking in her mother tongue but came out wrong in English.

Could you express yourself in proper English please?

Reactions: Atas Newton
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews
I heartily agree, although for the first time in history the revolution will be shared between two distinct, unique rubbers, Dignics and Tenergy. I anticipate we will look back at their launch as the "09c Revolution" and be struck, as the scientific world eventually looked at the Theories of Relativity were so struck, as just how profound an event as it was.

An open item, of course, as with all revolutions, is the cost. Soon there will be universal agreement that Dignics 05 is, in effect, inexpensive relative to its value, so this positions Butterfly to break more pricing records, despite having just done so with all the fanfare of Dignics 05. My sense of history leads my thought to the great Roger Bannister's four minute mile milestone that was quickly achieved by others once his breakthrough was a reality. There was with Bannister the phenomenon of psychological momentum that accounted for the immediately-expressed subsequent achievements. I anticipate this same momentum with the pricing for this Revolution too.

On a side note: Intermixed in my excitement for the upcoming World's, I eagerly await our fine corps of EJers' close up photos of the real rackets of our champions to determine just what equipment is really being used, especially in the current context of the availability of Dignics 05 and Tenergy 09c (and, maybe, Dignics 09c).

Thanks.

I'm interested to see what the 09c variant brings to the table, hopefully Butterfly will share some more information soon. Also, kind of curious about Dignics 80 as well.